Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

*Help** Popping sound coming from front left part of suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Help** Popping sound coming from front left part of suspension

Okay so about 3 weeks ago I had my Eibach sportline springs put on. Both front struts were shot at the bolts so I went out and bought two new struts same day. About a week ago I've been noticing a pop noise (most noticeable when hitting crack in the driveway for some reason). I don't really notice it when taking bumps,ect. I have a new tirod and rack and pinion. I also nailed a huge pot hole on that side the same day after I had my alignment done lmao! Anyways thanks guys for any comments or help!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing kinda happened to me when i did shocks... for me it was the nut on the very top of the strut mount wasnt tightened enough, which left some play in the mount. so when i hit a bump it would kinda slap before the shock could compress
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

also check ball joints
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 AM
Staging Lane

Also check the compliance bushings where the control arm mounts to the subframe. I noticed cracks in mine when I did my springs. It's only a mater of time till the rubber rips and causes a clunk/click when comin to a stop, especially changing direction (backing out of a driveway or that last little rock when pulling up to a stop)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

wow yes^^^ i totally forgot i had to replace the upper part of my upper control arm because they were extremely rusted through.. also the rubber thing on top of the a arm
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
same thing kinda happened to me when i did shocks... for me it was the nut on the very top of the strut mount wasnt tightened enough, which left some play in the mount. so when i hit a bump it would kinda slap before the shock could compress
i think is what might be wrong with mine. i just did the rears. how do i go about tightening them down tight enough? do i just impact them down nice and tight, or what? thanks.

sorry for the thread jack.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

The rears i dont see how it would that, make sure the rubber bushings are between the shock and the car and you shouldnt have to go to crazy with tightening them.
The front however, make sure you put on the mount, and any washers or whatever with the shocks you bought. Then make sure the rubber piece that goes on top of the mount is on right, then you can put the nut on after you put that rubber piece top of the mount. Then that nut should be tightening that rubber piece, the mount, and the shock all together.. Now that nut is going to take quite a bit to tighten. When i finally tightened mine after 3 times of doing it, it took ALOT to tighten it, i didnt use any impact to put in on. I just used a wrench another wrench to hold the shock stud while i tightened the nut. I tightened it until i couldnt possibly get it any farther with my hands!
Also make sure the spring is seated properly on the mount and the shock
Hope this helps!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
The rears i dont see how it would that, make sure the rubber bushings are between the shock and the car and you shouldnt have to go to crazy with tightening them.
The front however, make sure you put on the mount, and any washers or whatever with the shocks you bought. Then make sure the rubber piece that goes on top of the mount is on right, then you can put the nut on after you put that rubber piece top of the mount. Then that nut should be tightening that rubber piece, the mount, and the shock all together.. Now that nut is going to take quite a bit to tighten. When i finally tightened mine after 3 times of doing it, it took ALOT to tighten it, i didnt use any impact to put in on. I just used a wrench another wrench to hold the shock stud while i tightened the nut. I tightened it until i couldnt possibly get it any farther with my hands!
Also make sure the spring is seated properly on the mount and the shock
Hope this helps!
i bought them used and it only had one rubber bushing on it. when i installed i put that rubbing bushing on the inside, so under the car there is just a washer in contact with the body....are they supposed to have a rubber bushing on both sides?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
i bought them used and it only had one rubber bushing on it. when i installed i put that rubbing bushing on the inside, so under the car there is just a washer in contact with the body....are they supposed to have a rubber bushing on both sides?
Yes, i bet that is your problem! there should be a bushing on each side of metal. So bushing, car, bushing
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

So I got under my car and looke around and noticed that the rod that runs through the sway bar and holds the link end bushing is able to slide up and down so I'm going to make an attempt to tighten it and see if that don't keep it from being able to slide around. What do you guys think
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Grim
So I got under my car and looke around and noticed that the rod that runs through the sway bar and holds the link end bushing is able to slide up and down so I'm going to make an attempt to tighten it and see if that don't keep it from being able to slide around. What do you guys think
I would just buy new sway bar end links, they are cheap

Quick Reply: *Help** Popping sound coming from front left part of suspension