Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws666
Koni Sports are better than bilsteins. Is it worth the extra money to you? Only you can answer that, I would say yes since you autox the adjustability will prove useful I think. Though I don't own a set.

Not to be rude man but there are a million different threads on the pros/cons of koni/bilstein, a simple search would tell you everything and more. Anything is an improvement over stock, and bilsteins are fine but from what I know they don't rebound as well the konis do if you lower your car at all. I chose to wait for the STR.Ts instead of buying the bilsteins. I was very tempted to just get what was available NOW in my budget, but I'm sold on Konis and im lowering....so im just gonna wait. Once it's done it's done so get what you WANT and will be happy with, what's the rush?
No, you're right. I couldn't find anyone with a similar setup that had a good review except for stock vs Koni's or stock vs Bilstein's... but that probably just means I didn't search hard enough.

It appears that we're in the same boat as far as those three options go. I guess I have to just decide for myself whether I want to wait for the STR.T's, spend the extra on Sport's or settle on Bilstein's.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

This is going to be very personal for each customer. Bilstein and Koni STR.T's are more similar to each other than either is to Koni Sport.

If you want a premium shock that allows you to tune things and adjust how the car feels and act/reacts that's the Sports, period. Personally I find the STR.T's in general to have a bit better rebound control than the Bilstein's, but not MASSIVELY so, and not near the rebound that most tend to like to run their Sports. *IF* STR.T's were here I tend to recommend those first. However, they aren't. So if you are willing to wait, then wait, but you might wait a while for a shock that's not massively different, just different enough that I tend to prefer it when only looking at those two.

Tokico, forget about. Not as durable and major issues with supply since the Nuclear accident in Japan (where Tokico is located). In fact vendors who were Tokico exclusive have dropped the line. KYB, I have them but I would never recommend them over Bilstein or STR.T's based on durability issues, and the adjustment is not so good.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-29-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cjb6970
Does anyone have experience with Bilstein and Koni? It seems like from what I've read the Koni STR.T aren't adjustable and are a cheaper alternative to the Koni Sport, but they won't be available for a while. Based on that, and the fact that the Koni Sport are also on sale, I would go with the Sports if I did go the Koni route. So my question is this: are the Koni Sport really worth the extra money or would I be paying for name recognition more than a better quality shock? Should I consider Bilstein instead or maybe even Tokico or something else? Hopefully Sam or someone with more experience than going from stock to aftermarket shocks can chime in because anything (generally) will be an improvement over stock.

I should mention I have an 01 ws6 that is stock with Strano sway bars on the way. I occasionally auto-x and would like to take the car to a road course eventually but currently it's my dd.
I've had both. The quality of the Bilsteins is excellent, and they work surprisingly good (even with lowering springs), but if you have a tendency to push the handling limits of your car on a regular basis, and/or you're particularly picky about ride/handling then you'll probably find yourself wanting a shock that offers a little better control. This is where the Koni Sport SA shines, and the quality is on-par with the Bilsteins, Now if you're not willing to spend the time to dial-in the Koni shocks, then go with the Bilsteins. IMO, either shock is a step up in quality and control over the stock shocks, but don't fool yourself into expecting some buttery soft pillow like ride from shocks designed for better control. Both do offer a good ride quality, you just need to be realistic in your expectations.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Not too concerned with a comfortable ride.. I just want it to corner. Ended up ordering Sports for the adjustability- can't wait to drive with them on! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just wanted to update this, since it seems to be news to some these exist. Had them for quite a while now.... $385.99 for the set of 4 @ current pricing.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.................................................. .................................................. .................

Last edited by SkWiDsTyLe321; 02-03-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: ....................................................
Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default NEEdD OPINIONS

Hey guys I have a 2000 camaro SS and I'm looking for a good "sportier" suspension because the stock shocks are on there way out and I've been doing some research online and I'm thinking about the koni "orange" but with no previous experience I would like to know from u 4th gen guys please!!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaross828
Hey guys I have a 2000 camaro SS and I'm looking for a good "sportier" suspension because the stock shocks are on there way out and I've been doing some research online and I'm thinking about the koni "orange" but with no previous experience I would like to know from u 4th gen guys please!!
I would recommend giving Sam Strano a call.

He will steer you in the right direction on these.

Craig
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks Craig. I just got 15 sets in because I think they will be in bigger demand next week. This is now my preferred non-adjustable damper for a few reasons including valving, price and warranty.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thanks Craig. I just got 15 sets in because I think they will be in bigger demand next week. This is now my preferred non-adjustable damper for a few reasons including valving, price and warranty.
Sam,
Do these STR.Ts have the same durability issues now that they did back in 2013 when this thread was started? You said the bilsteins were better for durability than these. I woulf assume Koni has fixed anything in the last 3 years.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I waited forever for these shocks (back order). Finally got them early 2015, installed them and 6,000 miles later, they are shot. Car was bottoming out in the rear over small bumps and dips in the road. Still have stock springs on mine also. Pulled them off this weekend...the pass rear shock can be pushed in easy and will not retract. The drivers rear shock retracts REAL slow and them stops halfway out. Pretty disappointed. Not saying these shocks are all bad, but I obviously was they lucky one to get some crap ones. Now I get to deal with Koni and hopefully get something resolved. Just sharing my experience with these shocks. Hopefully yours is better!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Haven't had any issues lately. And as it turns out a lot of whining was due to what folks expected to see with regard to gas pressure. The STR.T's are a low pressure shock and due to seal stiction they don't always extend on their own especially with the first Nitrogen setup. So folks would flip out and yell "bad shock" when in fact it was fine. Koni since added some more pressure (still very low and they still don't extend super fast when new again due to seal stiction and everything being new).

But there is still the fact that if something went wrong.... lifetime warranty which SLP's do not have. HD's do, but HD's also cost more than SLP, which cost more than STR.T's with the Koni's on sale.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CGT77
I waited forever for these shocks (back order). Finally got them early 2015, installed them and 6,000 miles later, they are shot. Car was bottoming out in the rear over small bumps and dips in the road. Still have stock springs on mine also. Pulled them off this weekend...the pass rear shock can be pushed in easy and will not retract. The drivers rear shock retracts REAL slow and them stops halfway out. Pretty disappointed. Not saying these shocks are all bad, but I obviously was they lucky one to get some crap ones. Now I get to deal with Koni and hopefully get something resolved. Just sharing my experience with these shocks. Hopefully yours is better!
Have you called Koni yet? they'll replace them. Bear in mind these are not in anyway a replacement for Sports in terms of rebound damping. And what you are calling "retracting" I think is the extension of the shock. Like I said above the low gas pressure means that they don't always just shoot out fully extended , and a variation in a PSI or two in N pressure or a little extra seal drag in one can make that difference.

FWIW, shocks don't stop a car from bottoming out. They do damp the motion and if the shocks are bad you can hit harder and have less control when you do. But it's common to hit and touch the rear bumpstops on these cars. I just want to make sure that you have appropriate bumpstops on the car as that's a big part of the equation.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And stock springs pushing 15+ years old could very well not have the spring rate they used to. My old 98 V6 car's stock springs were sagging and they were only 10 years old at the time.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Have you called Koni yet? they'll replace them. Bear in mind these are not in anyway a replacement for Sports in terms of rebound damping. And what you are calling "retracting" I think is the extension of the shock. Like I said above the low gas pressure means that they don't always just shoot out fully extended , and a variation in a PSI or two in N pressure or a little extra seal drag in one can make that difference.

FWIW, shocks don't stop a car from bottoming out. They do damp the motion and if the shocks are bad you can hit harder and have less control when you do. But it's common to hit and touch the rear bumpstops on these cars. I just want to make sure that you have appropriate bumpstops on the car as that's a big part of the equation.
I have not called Koni yet. Plan on doing it soon. The bumpstops are factory and are still in great shape. With the stock springs and factory shocks back on, I drove it today with no issues.

Far right is the pass rear, will not extend after pushing it in unless I pull on it. Second from right, drivers rear. Comes back out real slow, then stops in the current position.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Do these have the lower perch on the front?
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks
I do!!!!!

The answer is: no.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I do!!!!!

The answer is: no.
Ok, thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm loving my Strano/Koni STR.T setup, handles awesome and surprisingly does VERY well from a dig for a sportier setup. Launches and sticks better than the factory stuff for sure.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
I'm loving my Strano/Koni STR.T setup, handles awesome and surprisingly does VERY well from a dig for a sportier setup. Launches and sticks better than the factory stuff for sure.
Do you have any pics of your setup?

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)