Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein Shocks and front spring seat .

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Shocks and front spring seat .

So i got the bilstein shocks went to remove the seats from the old shocks no way without cutting the strut . Measured both shocks the bilstein is 5mm thicker verses the other shock not sure what brand (its black shocks no name ) . the springs dont have isolators on the bottom my car seats level . I ordered the monroe spring seats and i think they come with the isolators should i use them or not ?
I am not sure because the ones i took off dont have any But they are also no name brand . I may have to install them and if it seats higher remove them .

Thanks Any help is appreciated as i will be putting it together in the morning .
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The plastic perch keeps the spring sitting evenly in the seat. It should not noticeably affect height.

Some shocks had built-in seats, as you found.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The plastic perch keeps the spring sitting evenly in the seat. It should not noticeably affect height.

Some shocks had built-in seats, as you found.
Thanks for the replay . Hopefully the ones coming in the morning will fit the bilstein the ones on the aftermarket shocks moved but the body of the shock toward the top was thicker I was gone cut them and slide them off but when I measured there was a difference so ordered some . I have no idea why anyone would use a no name brand shock on a firehawk when it came with bilstein .
Thanks Again
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

They should fit. May be tight and need a little persuasion, but should fit.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for ur help they worked out good . The front seats just a bit higher then it use to but its ok . Car handles great . The seats did not fit without some silglyde and rubber mallet
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah they fit tight, but given the force on them you don't want them loose! Glad it all went together OK.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Hello, can you please tell me where you bought the perch for your blistine shocks. It would help me out. I'm replacing a busted strut here in Italy on my 2002 Trans Am and it has to work as im getting the local off base shop to do it and it cost money.

Thank you

Brian
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jurgen
So i got the bilstein shocks went to remove the seats from the old shocks no way without cutting the strut . Measured both shocks the bilstein is 5mm thicker verses the other shock not sure what brand (its black shocks no name ) . the springs dont have isolators on the bottom my car seats level . I ordered the monroe spring seats and i think they come with the isolators should i use them or not ?
I am not sure because the ones i took off dont have any But they are also no name brand . I may have to install them and if it seats higher remove them .

Thanks Any help is appreciated as i will be putting it together in the morning .

I use the moog / OEM lower spring seat and isolator, had to sand the seat just a hair but it fit on the shock and it all brand new.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Teching In

if you got the bilstein shocks without any of the hardware at all here is a list of what you need then

2x Coil Spring Insulator (Moog K6573)
2x Strut Mount (Moog K6516/6517 L/R)
2x Front Shock Dust Boot/Bumpstop (Moog K90462)
2x Coil Spring Lower Seat (Moog K80927)

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shocks and front spring seat .