Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street setup, insight wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street setup, insight wanted.

I'm looking to make my car handle well, but not so much as to make it an overly harsh ride (it's a driver for the street, not a race car.) So far, it has tubular SFCs, a STB, and an Auburn pro-series unit. I've got a set of Bilstein HDs waiting to be installed, along with new rotors, stainless lines, and Hawk pads.

After those are in, the car should be cornering and stopping pretty well, all while retaining a decent ride. I'm thinking a set of 1LE sway bars, and then I'll be set. Any suggestions for what to invest in? Keep in mind that it's a street car, don't compromise the ride too much (I won't be lowering the car either.)

Is there anything else, or will I pretty much be set after the sways?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

What springs are you using? With a good alignment it sounds like a nice, streetable setup to me.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you'll be happy with the 1le bars. Just get yourself a decent alignment and you'll be good to go.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to stick with stock springs, you'll probably be better off with a 35mm front sway, either the solid ST, or the hollow Adco. Swaybars are going to have almost no impact on the harshness of the ride, but they can make a big difference in body roll under cornering.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jRaskell
If you're going to stick with stock springs, you'll probably be better off with a 35mm front sway, either the solid ST, or the hollow Adco. Swaybars are going to have almost no impact on the harshness of the ride, but they can make a big difference in body roll under cornering.
What's ST stand for?

Yeah, I'm using the stock springs. I don't really like the look or feel of a lowered car, and that'd just be asking for my longtubes to be ripped off with the crappy roads around here.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ST= Suspension Techniques (brand)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Installing the Koni's over the stock shocks made a world of difference in the overall handling. Bottom line, the stock deCarbon shocks are pitiful pieces of scrap metal filled with furnace oil, but that's just my honest opinion

Installing the 35mm Suspension Techniques bar was also a significant improvement in how the front end felt in the corners. I really gotta get a rear bar on now, cause I can really feel the back of the car rolling noticably with the front under control.

Still on stock springs myself. My only dislike at this point is the nose dive under hard braking, and unfortunately that's only solved with springs, but I'm still holding out for now. New wheels are on order, should be here next week. Those'll be going on, then I'll be getting a new rear sway. Once those are done, I'll ride and evaluate how the car is handling for a couple weeks, and work on deciding my next upgrades. May be shifting to power upgrades at that point, but may decide on finishing off the suspension touches (still have PHB and LCAs, SFCs/STB are still up in the air. Polys on front control arms are on the possibility list as well)
Old 05-01-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Bottom line, the stock deCarbon shocks are pitiful pieces of scrap metal filled with furnace oil, but that's just my honest opinion

That may be both the most hilarious and yet, the most accurate description I've ever heard. And, at that it may still be an insult to furnace oil.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I can't wait to ditch the POS deCarbons. I'd heard about the Koni/Bilstein setup, but didn't want to shell out the cash for the Konis. The Bilstein HDs I have sitting on the floor will do me just fine.

I forgot to mention I also plan on moving up to 17x9 wheels, but that's a ways away. Sway bars look like they're next in line.

As far as springs go, are there any out there that will resist the aforementioned nosedive on hard braking (or front end rise on acceleration,) but not lower the car?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:14 AM

I like the hals myself and my 60ft's show it!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Launching!

HALs are pretty much drag shocks. I couldn't care less about dragging, I'm like 2.5 hours (one way) from the closest track.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:07 AM

Default ?

Where do you get your info? Do some research before hand as you would be really suprised to know who's using them on the street!!!!

QUOTE=Tailwind HALs are pretty much drag shocks.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BADZ
Where do you get your info? Do some research before hand as you would be really suprised to know who's using them on the street!!!!

QUOTE=Tailwind HALs are pretty much drag shocks.
Where's your info to say otherwise? HALs are primarily used on strip cars, people don't buy them to run on the street or for handling purposes (a mix of both is clearly my goal,) and they're not as effective as Bilsteins or Konis in the cornering department.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nephew blew out a set of Hal's, shod with G2 springs, on his Hawk in very short order on a road course.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd never own a set of HAL's. My Koni DA's are just fine. But, I have no interest in my 1/4 mile times at all. My one pass at SLP day was a 14.04@102.5 with a 2.6 60 foot and I didn't care to try to improve upon it.

When he was asked how to make drag racing more exciting, I think it was Warren Johnson who said "add a slalom at the 1/8th mile mark". Works for me.

This is not to say that I don't have great respect for the HP required to run 9's, it is just to say that I'm not interested in HAL's or 9's. And I don't consider HAL's and handling as words that belong in the same sentence.

Only my opinion.

Look at the bright side, compared to decarbons, anything is an improvement....

Last edited by trackbird; 05-02-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tailwind
As far as springs go, are there any out there that will resist the aforementioned nosedive on hard braking (or front end rise on acceleration,) but not lower the car?
Well, 1LE front springs are ~70 lbs heavier than stock V8 springs at about the same stock height. Whether or not this will make a noticeable difference in dive is a good question. I read that GM's combo of 32 mm front bar and these springs was very balanced as a set, so I don't know what would happen with a bigger bar.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't shocks with more compression damping reduce nose dive on braking?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Yeah, I can't wait to ditch the POS deCarbons. I'd heard about the Koni/Bilstein setup, but didn't want to shell out the cash for the Konis. The Bilstein HDs I have sitting on the floor will do me just fine.

I forgot to mention I also plan on moving up to 17x9 wheels, but that's a ways away. Sway bars look like they're next in line.

Maybe check into the revalved Bilsteins from Sam Strano (stranoparts.com)
Old 05-06-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't shocks with more compression damping reduce nose dive on braking?
It won't reduce the overall amount of nose dive. It just reduces how quickly the nose dives down. The only problem here is, dialing in enough compression damping to have a significant affect on nose dive will likely be far more compression damping than you want from a handling perspective. In general you want to minimize compression damping and allow the springs to absorb any deflection induced in the suspension, then use rebound damping to keep oscillations (bounce) under control.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4mula1
Maybe check into the revalved Bilsteins from Sam Strano (stranoparts.com)
Considered them, and exchanged a few E-mails with Sam. He recommended the revalves with aftermarket springs, but said they weren't really necessary with the stock springs (especially since I didn't want to lower the car) if I remember correctly.

I have the HD's sitting on the floor right now anyway.

Quick Reply: Street setup, insight wanted.