Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension advice

Looking for some advice on how to make my f-body ride decent while improving performance. Currently the car has a non-adj Jegster TA, upgraded sway bars and Bilstein rears. I believe my LCA's need new bushings since I hear rattles over bumps and the car has 100k miles. I was given non-adj dual roto LCA's and a double adj panhard bar with the car. I'm wondering how much I will be giving up in ride comfort over where I'm at now if I install these parts. What setup should I go with if not? The car is a DD and comfort is the most important to me right now.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The roto-joints will transfer a slight amount of road noise and the phb will most likely will not at all. I'd also lower you tire pressure to 30-32 if it higher than 32psi..
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The roto-joints will transfer a slight amount of road noise and the phb will most likely will not at all. I'd also lower you tire pressure to 30-32 if it higher than 32psi..
I have ridden in a car with umi roto joints (on both ends), and johnny joints. I'm picky and was very impressed with the NVH qualities.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Great! Sounds like it shouldn't be much worse than where I am now. Any cons to installing these parts?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JVCOBRA
Great! Sounds like it shouldn't be much worse than where I am now. Any cons to installing these parts?
They seem like they would be more (by more I don't mean a lot) maintenance then rubber (rubber of course requires no greasing or tightening).
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JVCOBRA
Looking for some advice on how to make my f-body ride decent while improving performance. Currently the car has a non-adj Jegster TA, upgraded sway bars and Bilstein rears. I believe my LCA's need new bushings since I hear rattles over bumps and the car has 100k miles. I was given non-adj dual roto LCA's and a double adj panhard bar with the car. I'm wondering how much I will be giving up in ride comfort over where I'm at now if I install these parts. What setup should I go with if not? The car is a DD and comfort is the most important to me right now.
I'd stay away from poly bushings in the LCAs for DDs. I ran them for a while on my `99 TA DD and hated the bump oversteer condition that I introduced at highway speeds. Those LCAs need to articulate and they will with rubber. I pressed in some Moog rubber bushings in my stockers and put them back on.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I'd stay away from poly bushings in the LCAs for DDs. I ran them for a while on my `99 TA DD and hated the bump oversteer condition that I introduced at highway speeds. Those LCAs need to articulate and they will with rubber. I pressed in some Moog rubber bushings in my stockers and put them back on.
1LE's are poly correct? Should I stay away from them if I don't end up liking the rotos?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

No,1LE bushing are just a harder rubber, not poly.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Ah okay. My next question would be how should I have my panhard bar adjusted?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Best way to set the panhard is begin by setting the adjustable unit equal to the stock unit, install the bar and the drop line down from a body line on both sides(my car is mini-tubbed, so I go to the top of the wheel opening) and then use a straight edge across the tire. Measure the "offset" on both sides then adjust accordingly to get the measurements equal.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is amusing to me LOL!!!

I'm amused as to why no one has asked about his Bilstein rear shocks.

Are they over 100K miles as well?

if they're over 50K miles old AND you have lowered springs then your shocks are fucked too.

Even if you have factory springs (which would surprise me), the shocks would wear out after about 50K miles UNLESS you have Koni's.
If you have lowered aftermarket springs, the Bilstein's weren't designed for lowered springs so after a few thousand miles they will blow.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Nope I just threw the Bilsteins on, the old ones were trash. Car won't be lowered so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
this is amusing to me LOL!!!

I'm amused as to why no one has asked about his Bilstein rear shocks.

Are they over 100K miles as well?

if they're over 50K miles old AND you have lowered springs then your shocks are fucked too.

Even if you have factory springs (which would surprise me), the shocks would wear out after about 50K miles UNLESS you have Koni's.
If you have lowered aftermarket springs, the Bilstein's weren't designed for lowered springs so after a few thousand miles they will blow.
Bilstein shock valving isn't ideal for lowering spring, but they're not going to "blow"(wear-out) in a few thousand miles unless they're physically damaged. I've ran Bilsteins on my car for probably 30k with lowering springs and I didn't notice any loss of control from them. With stock springs as long as your road conditions don't accelerate rusting on you car I don't see any reason why a set of Bilsteins won't last 70k.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Bilstein shock valving isn't ideal for lowering spring, but they're not going to "blow"(wear-out) in a few thousand miles unless they're physically damaged. I've ran Bilsteins on my car for probably 30k with lowering springs and I didn't notice any loss of control from them. With stock springs as long as your road conditions don't accelerate rusting on you car I don't see any reason why a set of Bilsteins won't last 70k.
Not true.
Bilstein HD's were designed for factory springs only, unless you had the opportunity to get "revalved" ones designed for your aftermarket springs.
Bilstein never did those, only sam strano did, and he stopped doing them.

in a 4th-gen f-body with aftermarket lowered springs, if you're using Bilstein HD's with those aftermarket springs, in about as low as 25K miles, the Bilstein's will be done.
You wouldn't know that they went cuz you're driving the vehicle, the ride quality will deteriorate but you won't notice because it will happen slowly and you won't realize any major issues until the shocks are beyond gone.

you don't have to believe me but bottomline Bilstein HD's were not meant for lowered springs.

People used them for lowered springs because well, someone on the internet said it was fine and everyone followed their advice.

Bilstein's on 4th-gens with lowered springs is a compromise.

Definitely better than the factory POS deCarbons though but the Bilstein's do blow after a while, definitely by 50k miles, as soon as 25K miles IF you have them on lowered springs.

OP has factory springs so this point is moot.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm quite aware that regular off the shelf bilsteins aren't valved for the higher spring rates of lowering springs, but they still do work surprisingly well(NOT perfect) with lowering springs; that's a fact. Now don't get me wrong, but I'd always recommend Koni SA shocks over the bilsteins every time, if a persons budget permits.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Bilstein makes an HD8 series shocks designed for lowered cars. Brand new
Old 02-15-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frez777
Bilstein makes an HD8 series shocks designed for lowered cars. Brand new
Part Number: 24-225397
Series: B8 (SP)

That's their rear "sport" shocks for a 3rd gen(82-92) Camaro/Firebirds, which can be used also on 93-02 Camaro/Firebirds. It is a shorter shock, but that doesn't really matter since you won't bottom-out the Series: B6 (HD), Part Number: 24-024075 which is what's listed for a 1993-2002 C/F , even when the rear bump stops are compressed. The valving might be slightly different, but I can't confirm it.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm...drivetype=RWD#
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I should count my lucky stars that my Bilstein/Strano spring combo hasn't blown up after 30K street miles and plenty of track time. :-)

Quick Reply: Rear suspension advice