Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is my strut assembly correct? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my strut assembly correct? (pics)

In the process of installing front bilstein shocks and prokit springs and I'm unsure if I have everything correct. LS1howto basically calls for the following order:

Strut
Spring perch
Isolator
Spring
Bilstein metal cap (hammered on over top of shock)
bumpstop
Springhat
Rubber shoe
Control arm

I will be reusing my stock strut boot which houses the bump stop. However, this rests on the upper portion of the strut shaft... not the lower as normally pictured in ls1howto. Is this correct? LS1howto has it on the lower part of the shaft:

Also found this image and see their bumpstop is the same lower portion:

Also, what I'm really concerned about is what is this "Spring Hat." The only hardware my bilsteins came with was the metal cap (which I have appropriately hammered onto the strut) and the nut/washer. The only piece I could possibly think be this "Spring Hat" is the metal piece on the same position on the stock decarbons that was in the same position as I have the bilstein metal cap in. Is this something I need? As I have it now, I have the top of the spring rests on the rubber shoe just beneath the control arm.

Having problems uploading pictures. Will include shortly.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have extra parts or the wrong setup for your car. That spring hat makes no sense to me.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That "hat" is part of the OEM dust boot, which you normally would transfer over to the new shock.

The bump stop can be anywhere on the shaft as it only comes into play when the shock is fully compressed.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

First we have shocks, not struts.

Second, anyone notice that the pic is of a coil-over conversion????? The thing marked "spring hat" is to adapt a 2.5" race spring to a stock upper mount.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Is my strut assembly correct? (pics)