Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1969 Firebird - Steering box swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Firebird - Steering box swap question

My questions:

Can the '92-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee box be swapped into a 1969 Firebird? What is the effect of the increased steering box movement? Do the internal stops on the steering box "dump" hydraulic pressure, stopping the power assist?

Here is what I found searching:
The 1969 Firebird had a steering box movement of 32degrees.
The Jeep has a steering box movement of 43+/- degrees, 12.7:1 ratio.
The 3rd gen Camaro high performance suspension box has 31 degrees movement, 12.7:1 ratio.
The Chevy G body mid 80's with performance suspenion had 39+/- degree of box movement, 12:7:1 ratio.
The Chevy B body last 80's to mid 90's with performance suspension had 43+/- degrees of movement, 12.7:1 ratio.

Finding a Camaro, G body or B body with performance suspension at a local yard is going to be impossible; the Jeep is will be the easiest to find. Buying a remanufactured box seems to be hit and miss if you actually get a 12.7:1 ratio box.

I know the internal stops on the Jeep box will not come into play as the steering knuckle stops will contact the a-arms first limiting steering movement, but will the power assist try to rip the knuckles from the a-arms at full lock (I guess this only applies if power assist is "dumped" at the internal box limits)?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want to swap steering boxes? Is our '69 F'bird box worn out? I'd either sent it out for rebuild, or look to one of the suppliers that specializes in 1st gen F'bird parts, and get a new one.....

UPDATE...

From the Rock Auto Parts website....

Power steering box, quicker of the two ratios listed, $82, with a $75 core charge.

A-1 CARDONE Part # 276509 More Info Remanufactured; Power One of our most popular parts
with 2-1/2 to 3 Turns Lock to Lock; Inline filter available

Quick Reply: 1969 Firebird - Steering box swap question