Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can trans mounted torque arm rip/strip crossmember bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can trans mounted torque arm rip/strip crossmember bolts?

This is a 99 ws6 with T-56. I just put in solid motor mounts, poly trans mount, and tunnel mounted torque arm. I had a BMR trans mounted torque arm but switched.

Anyways, when I went to take the trans crossmember off I noticed that on the drivers side bolts, one was missing, and the other had fallen halfway out. When I tried to tighten it the threads completely gave out, and the threads where the other bolt was were already completely gone.

Could hard launches with the bmr trans mount torque arm cause this? I know I didnt cross thread or strip them last time I was under it. I dont know what could do this. I'm hoping that the tunnel mount arm will help. Also, what would you guys do to fix this? Only thing I can think of is tap the threads and put larger bolts in
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is really no way for hard launches or our BMR torque arm relocation crossmember to mess up the thread in the chassis. More times than not they get messed up from being over torqued multiple times and eventually the threads give out.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No biggie. I just tapped new threads and put new bolts in. I just thought i remembered someone saying a trans mounted torque arm could pull the bolts out. Can't wait to try out the tunnel mounted torque arm.

And btw anyone who says tunnel mounted torque arms feel too harsh and make too much noise, you must be doing something wrong. I don't notice one difference in feel or noise. I've tried both and they are exactly the same

Quick Reply: Can trans mounted torque arm rip/strip crossmember bolts?