Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear brakes will not stop squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brakes will not stop squeaking

This is kind of long so sorry. Last year I ground the rear calipers so my Weld wheels would fit. I went to the track and beat on the car pretty good and there was no noise at all. I switched to my drag radials for a couple of runs and after the first pass my rear breaks were squeaking very loudly. I have line lock so burnouts are not hard on the rear brakes and an 8.8” rear. The squeaking continued so I change the rear pads thinking they were worn. Well there was a lot of pad left but I changed them anyway. There was no noise for about 200 miles and now it has started again. When driving down the road the rear brakes squeak constantly and when I apply the brake the squeaking gets very loud for a second and then goes away. Nothing is cooler than pulling into a parking lot with a cool car that’s squeaking like a mother. What could the problem be? I don’t think the axle is bent because there is no vibration. Not sure what else it could be or to do other than just change out pads and rotors.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you adjust the brakes using the ebrake?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hourang
did you adjust the brakes using the ebrake?
How do you do that? I thought that the ebrake was on the backing plate and had nothing to do with the regular brakes. When I changed the pads I used a c clamp to bring the piston back in and I put the new pads on. Next I started the car and pushed the pedal until there was pressure.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 TA
How do you do that? I thought that the ebrake was on the backing plate and had nothing to do with the regular brakes. When I changed the pads I used a c clamp to bring the piston back in and I put the new pads on. Next I started the car and pushed the pedal until there was pressure.
not sure if they changed the design but on the lt1 you had to set the parking brake several times in order to seat the pads properly, the caliper adjusted by the parking brake.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be the caliper itself rubbing on the disk, especially if you hear it more on turns. I belive the LT1 cars are known for this, but I don't know what year the brakes changed. My '93 TA was doing exactly what you are talking about, and I fixed it with a die grinder/fiber cutoff wheel.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure if they changed the design but on the lt1 you had to set the parking brake several times in order to seat the pads properly, the caliper adjusted by the parking brake.
That system was on the third gens, my '93 LT1 doesn't do it that way.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
That system was on the third gens, my '93 LT1 doesn't do it that way.
umm my 94 did, said it right in the haynes manual to set the parking brake a few times to self adjust. then how did you adjust them?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger side rear brake did that for a while.. It is like it squeaks while your tire is rolling.. slow or fast.. and when you lightly press the brake it gets worse.. It took me forever to figure it out even after a brake change...i dunno if you are having the same problem, but the part that was squeaking was the top bolt holding in the caliper.. if you take off your tire.. try hitting your caliper and wiggling it to see if you can hear it squeak.. I did that and it was that bolt for some reason.. and i can't figure out why it squeaks.. i put grease on it and it went away for a while.. then after some rain it washed away and it does it again... i dunno if you are having the same problem.. But hope i could help..
Old 05-11-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well over the weekend I decided to take the pads off and put some of the anti squeal junk on. When doing so I noticed that the little metal T looking thing on the outside of the pad had moved and made the pad sit a little crooked. I also noticed so wear marks on the back of the pad like it was moving in the caliper. After fixing the T thing and putting the anti squeal crap on the brakes didn’t make a sound for almost 200 miles. Then when I was leaving a light I got on it pretty good and they started squeaking again. So I guess I’ll just try new rotors and pads and go from there.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the only thing you can really do is guess and check... fix what you think it is then try it out.. if thats not it try something else.. all i know is that brake greaser stuff fixed my problem haha... just about every part of the damn rear brake was greased up except the rotor and brake pads haha.. But after a while mine ended up being that bolt for some reason.. but i fixed it and now its already back ohh well.. good luck with it
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Yea the only thing you can really do is guess and check... fix what you think it is then try it out.. if thats not it try something else.. all i know is that brake greaser stuff fixed my problem haha... just about every part of the damn rear brake was greased up except the rotor and brake pads haha.. But after a while mine ended up being that bolt for some reason.. but i fixed it and now its already back ohh well.. good luck with it
seems to me like your not torqueing that bolt enough, try putting antisieze on the bolt too, it may help, who knows.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

seems to me like your not torqueing that bolt enough, try putting antisieze on the bolt too, it may help, who knows.
Alright cool, that may be whats going on.. i torqued it as much as i could though.. its just really weird.. the spot that rubs is really a place i can't do anything about but grease it... i was thinkin about putting some kind of like adhesive tape or velcrow in there where its rubbing to see if it would stop.. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I've got the squeeky problem with my left front like that.... Im getting frustrated with it....

Pat