Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brand front drag shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand front drag shocks

I've got a 98 trans am with intake manifold, long tubes, etc. I just recently purchased the comp 3 way adj shocks for the rear, now I need to find out what to purchase for the fronts. My car is very drag race oriented I just don't know suspension so some suggestions would help I don't not care about comfortable ride I need drag performance
Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zechsmail
I've got a 98 trans am with intake manifold, long tubes, etc. I just recently purchased the comp 3 way adj shocks for the rear, now I need to find out what to purchase for the fronts. My car is very drag race oriented I just don't know suspension so some suggestions would help I don't not care about comfortable ride I need drag performance
Do you have the comp shocks on the car? Im about to buy some and was wondering if people liked them and how their performance is
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The shocks are one of the most important parts of the suspension puzzle. The reaction and consistency of the chassis starts with the shocks and they are one of the best mods you can buy for the money spent.

There are a few great brands to choose from and MWC carries all of them. Afco is one of the higher end shocks with a lot of fine tuning ability, but also the highest cost of the three. Strange has a great shock for the cost, and is a very "user friendly" package. The newest shocks on the market and revered as the "best bang for the buck" is the Viking brand. They are US made, carry the industry best 2 year warranty, have a nice polished type finish, and offer a wide window of tuning with 18 positions on each valve.

Give me a call. We can go over your needs and budget and set you up with the right parts the first time and the guaranteed lowest prices.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We carry Afco as well (have them on two house cars) as well as Viking (on three house cars). Afco is available in ultra high end while Viking has one style, double adjustable twin tube. Give us a calm to discuss!

Thx

-- Ramey
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Would the Viking shocks in the front and afcos in the back be a good setup for someone on more of a budget ??
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Only commenting on the Competition Engineering shocks because they seem popular on here. I recently purchased a set for the rear and couldn't get one to extend more than a few inches and the other would only adjust to 2 of the 3 settings. Ran them back to Summit's store and got a non adjustable QA1 for the rear.

I am evaluating the QA1 vs Viking for the front. That is where the action is!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00ultraz28
Would the Viking shocks in the front and afcos in the back be a good setup for someone on more of a budget ??
Depends on what you are doing with your car. Both are great shocks with excellent quality, quite a bit difference in price, though. Give me a call. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of each and we will determine what the best route for you is.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ironmanLS1
Only commenting on the Competition Engineering shocks because they seem popular on here. I recently purchased a set for the rear and couldn't get one to extend more than a few inches and the other would only adjust to 2 of the 3 settings. Ran them back to Summit's store and got a non adjustable QA1 for the rear.

I am evaluating the QA1 vs Viking for the front. That is where the action is!
The Viking shocks are above and beyond the QA1, are priced better, and have a better warranty... no brainer.

Give me a call and I can get you setup with the right parts and the guaranteed lowest prices.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The QA1 has a R series shock for the front, which I can get for $144. It looks like they are a good match for a street/strip car. Single adjustable and can supposedly set up to 90/10 for drag racing then back to a stock type street setting.

Does Viking have something similar? Do we need a DA shock over SA if the R series is something that would work? Just trying to help the OP and learn for myself. May be apples and oranges here, but on my regular bracket car (72 nova) I run a cheap 90/10 front shock all day and it works out great.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The D/A shock will benefit in ability to adjust ride quality and aid in performance at the track. It all really comes down to specific application, and what your budget is. Single adjustable shocks are extension adjustable only, the compression valve is set... 90/10 is more of a 3-way or non-adjustable performance type shock/strut term.

Viking shocks are available in double adjustable only format due to their killer pricing. Another benefit of the Viking front shocks for the 68-72 Nova is the option to install the adjustable ride height spring package they offer. Combine this with the double adjustable shocks and you have a great working suspension that is able to be preloaded properly for straight launches and tire control(especially important with drag radials). So at the end of the day I can get you into a great double adjustable shock that carries a 2 year warranty for only about 30.00 more than the QA1... why wouldn't you?

Give me a call or email and we can go over some fine details and get you a quote... You will be pleasantly surprised on how well we can do with your budget.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ironmanLS1
The QA1 has a R series shock for the front, which I can get for $144. It looks like they are a good match for a street/strip car. Single adjustable and can supposedly set up to 90/10 for drag racing then back to a stock type street setting.

Does Viking have something similar? Do we need a DA shock over SA if the R series is something that would work? Just trying to help the OP and learn for myself. May be apples and oranges here, but on my regular bracket car (72 nova) I run a cheap 90/10 front shock all day and it works out great.
I've attached three dyno sheets. One is for the QA1 R series, one for the QA1 Single Adjustables and one for the Viking Double Adjustable.

The graphs show force in the shaft at various velocities. Basically, the faster the shaft moves, the more force is applied. You can see what happens when you click the clicker. The QA1's which are both single, expand equally in compression and rebound each click. You'll also notice the R series are heavy in compression as compared to the standard series. This prevents bottoming when dropping from a wheel stand but also hurts comfort on the street (keeping in mind comfort is relative and means different things to different people).

Oh, and the U series graph shows a street rod shock with fixed compression and rebound only adjustment.

It can all get pretty confusing but that's why we're here.

ramey
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Viking_dynochart.pdf (54.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: pdf
UR 0-18 every 3rd click SD.pdf (10.2 KB, 139 views)

Quick Reply: brand front drag shocks