Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

So Let's compare CTS-V,Z06 OR 10'SS Brakes against stock.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default So Let's compare CTS-V,Z06 OR 10'SS Brakes against stock.

Hey Guys,

I've been snooping around the whole Conversion set up for our 4th gen cars and would like to know if anybody has actual specs on what the difference is in stopping power?

I would deff love to put the CTS-V set up on my car but with my current Powerslot and hawk ceramic brake pad set up, I'm somewhat skeptical about spending the 980-1100$ for a mod that might gain 2-5ft in braking distance

le tme know what your take is on this,thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where and how often do you race the car? Auto-X or a larger, open roadcourse?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Where and how often do you race the car? Auto-X or a larger, open roadcourse?
None of those events do I participate in. But when I'm braking from 125-145's to 75 MPH cuz of traffic 101 Freeway Hollywood, CA. I need a good set up for Brakes and the set up I have now is great WAY better then Stock just wondering if it's really worth the money to due?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
None of those events do I participate in. But when I'm braking from 125-145's to 75 MPH cuz of traffic 101 Freeway Hollywood, CA. I need a good set up for Brakes and the set up I have now is great WAY better then Stock just wondering if it's really worth the money to due?
If you haven't gone up to C5 brakes yet, they're a great option which can be sourced/pieced together pretty cheap.

If you're going to buy a packaged kit it's probably best to save up a bit more and move up to the 14" kit that you are asking about (that is if they will fit in your existing wheels).
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

I started this thread about a year and a half ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-17-rims.html and as for money costs I was right around 600 between the calipers, rotors and pads. That is hundreds below the numbers you have been quoted or have found. If you are running a 17" it all depends on the rim if my thread will work, but if you are running a 18" or larger there will be no clearance problems with the upgrades. I cant give any specific stopping distance numbers, but from high speeds 100+ there is a significant difference over the stock setup.

Last edited by Sy99T/A; 10-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sy99T/A
I started this thread about a year and a half ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-17-rims.htmlo and as for money costs I was right around 600 between the calipers, rotors and pads. That is hundreds below the numbers you have been quoted or have found. If you are running a 17" it all depends on the rim if my thread will work, but if you are running a 18" or larger there will be no clearance problems with the upgrades. I cant give any specific stopping distance numbers, but from high speeds 100+ there is a significant difference over the stock setup.

The link is bad
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do the damn conversion. Its worth it trust me. I do the same type of driving you just mentioned. I hated the feeling of my stock brakes they would fade so fast it was unbelievable.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
The link is bad

Hmmm.... I guess ill bump that thread to the top of this section then
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sy99T/A
Hmmm.... I guess ill bump that thread to the top of this section then
Nope, figured it out.

The link has an "o" at the end (.htmlo), if you remove it in the address bar, it works.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Nope, figured it out.

The link has an "o" at the end (.htmlo), if you remove it in the address bar, it works.
link repaired, but it got bumped prior
Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest difference i noticed is the much quicker response from the pedal, and brake fade is next to none. Hard stops require less effort and pedal travel is alot less then it used to be. I like these brakes way better then my old brakes, i even have the same style pads on the CTS-V brakes that i had on my OEM brakes (Hawk HPS)
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to a couple of guys who are running willwood setups...both of them like it but if you don't compete in any discipline, you would be burning money...

CTSV is a good option...but it won't fit the stock 17" wheels without some modifications. spacers, grinding, etc...but if you plan on running 18, this might be a very good affordable option. I'm not sure if you need a bigger master cylinder...i don't think so but i'm sure someone else on here knows better than me...

i think you should checkout stoptech's website...white papers. lots of details there on brake torque...as weird as it sounds, suspension and tires play a bigger role than we give them credit for under braking.

i run a base C6 setup in my car and the torque is very similar to stock but the modulation is superior because it dissipates heat more efficiently. you also have a wide selection of rotors and pads...with this setup. The C5/C5 Z06 are the same caliper as the C6 with the exception of the ribs at the top...on the C6 calipers they are thicker to prevent/eliminate spreading under extreme braking...so far so good.

i autox and do lapping with my car so i push it...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brigade24
I spoke to a couple of guys who are running willwood setups...both of them like it but if you don't compete in any discipline, you would be burning money...

CTSV is a good option...but it won't fit the stock 17" wheels without some modifications. spacers, grinding, etc...but if you plan on running 18, this might be a very good affordable option. I'm not sure if you need a bigger master cylinder...i don't think so but i'm sure someone else on here knows better than me...

i think you should checkout stoptech's website...white papers. lots of details there on brake torque...as weird as it sounds, suspension and tires play a bigger role than we give them credit for under braking.

i run a base C6 setup in my car and the torque is very similar to stock but the modulation is superior because it dissipates heat more efficiently. you also have a wide selection of rotors and pads...with this setup. The C5/C5 Z06 are the same caliper as the C6 with the exception of the ribs at the top...on the C6 calipers they are thicker to prevent/eliminate spreading under extreme braking...so far so good.

i autox and do lapping with my car so i push it...

Pardon my retardedness, but did I read that correctly? You can do the C5 brake upgrade on our cars and use the base C6 calipers?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried a good LS1 kit or are you rocking duralast silver brakes?

Quick Reply: So Let's compare CTS-V,Z06 OR 10'SS Brakes against stock.