Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

effect of lowering only the front??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default effect of lowering only the front??

Alright been lurking ls1tech for months time for my first post....

So I have a 2001 z28 lowered on the bilstein shocks and springs kit. Im considering replacing the rear bilsteins springs with the stockers which should raise the rear 1 to 1.5 inches back to stock height. Is this going to cause unpredictable over steer?

Also I may need a panhard bar. Car has zo6 replicas wrapped in fat f1 goodyear tires and the rear driver side rubs fenderwell on cloverleafs. Will raising the rear back to stock height eliminate the benefit I may see from an aftermarket panhard?

Thanks guys
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site! We have a lot of fun here.

We have a few cars with rake, similar to what you're describing. Doesn't seem to hurt anything when driving in our normal manner.

Your results may vary.

Any of our adjustable PHB's should be able to accommodate whatever rear height you're at.

ramey
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Well fantastic. Regarding the panhard bar. Do you think it's worthwhile being that the rear end will be at stock high and therefore should be centered?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in mega-money saving mode, you could put it to the height you want then measure the location with the stock bar. If good, then buy a non-adjustable. If not good, adjustable.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Not trying to scrimp everywhere but yeah if that 100 dollars would be better spent on something else then...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by giddysauce
Alright been lurking ls1tech for months time for my first post....

So I have a 2001 z28 lowered on the bilstein shocks and springs kit. Im considering replacing the rear bilsteins springs with the stockers which should raise the rear 1 to 1.5 inches back to stock height. Is this going to cause unpredictable over steer?

Also I may need a panhard bar. Car has zo6 replicas wrapped in fat f1 goodyear tires and the rear driver side rubs fenderwell on cloverleafs. Will raising the rear back to stock height eliminate the benefit I may see from an aftermarket panhard?

Thanks guys
FYI the springs should be eibach's if its a "bilstien kit".
Why do you want to raise the rear? That is going to be pretty a huge amount of rake. If anything I would think that would cause more understeer.

If you want to eliminate the rubbing issue with the wheels you can do the BFH mod + an adjustable PHB or more ideally a watts link (more $$$ though, but won't have the rear end moving in the arc motion anymore).
Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Teching In

I had a setup very close to yours. I added big washers under the springs to raise it about 3/4" to 1". I don't remember the exact amount. I autox'd it a few times and didn't notice any difference. At high speed it was definitely more stable.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Understeer huh? I would have to talk thought it would cause snap oversteer. That's good to know about the eibachs. The whole kit was done by the owner before me. The box says bilstein tuned suspension. The springs are blue. Sound like eibach springs? I kinda want to pop the stock springs back in because in addition to the rubbing it just seems like the rear end is sagging.

If the rake is going to be too extreme may just get some lca relocation brackets, lca's, and an adjustable phb. I'd rather have my *** drag a little then slam the nose every time I leave or enter a driveway.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
FYI the springs should be eibach's if its a "bilstien kit".
Why do you want to raise the rear? That is going to be pretty a huge amount of rake. If anything I would think that would cause more understeer.

If you want to eliminate the rubbing issue with the wheels you can do the BFH mod + an adjustable PHB or more ideally able watts link (more $$$ though, but won't have the rear end moving in the arc motion anymore).
Btw what's the bfh mod?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Understeer huh? I would have to talk thought it would cause snap oversteer.
My guess would be due to the fact that higher, softer springs would grip more and weight transfer more, where as the lower, stiffer springs in comparison would allow the car to rotate more.
That's good to know about the eibachs. The whole kit was done by the owner before me. The box says bilstein tuned suspension. The springs are blue. Sound like eibach springs? I kinda want to pop the stock springs back in because in addition to the rubbing it just seems like the rear end is sagging.
Yup, if you search eibachs here you will see its a common thing to have the rear sag. Look into a set of strano springs, you will have better ride and WAY better handling.

If the rake is going to be too extreme may just get some lca relocation brackets, lca's, and an adjustable phb. I'd rather have my *** drag a little then slam the nose every time I leave or enter a driveway.
The only one of those you might want is the adjustable PHB. The others are completely unnecessary.

Btw what's the bfh mod?
Big F*cking hammer mod. You "massage" the inner fender wells where the tires hit for clearance.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Get the adjustable panhard bar to center the rear, not so you don't rub. I perfectly centered my rear yet the driver's rear tire would rub. If I adjusted it so it wouldn't rub the rear would be biased to the left.

As stated, there's a few clear spots where the rear rubs, just massage it with a hammer and you'll be good. Don't forget to undercoat the area you hammer as you will probably chip off some of the factory undercoating.

Chris,
Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

It will just upset the handling balance of the car. Most of us aren't going to notice this unless we're in typical track conditions. Aggressive street driving you aren't going to notice understeer/oversteer.

In track conditions, softening the rear end I noticed tends to allow the rear to stick a little better but at the cost of the feel of the car. Something too stiff can make the car easier to handle when it sticks, but harder to keep control of after it enters a drift. The trick is to get a good balance of everything. Its definitely more complicated than what I've written.. but these are the things you have to think about.

Snap oversteer can either be caused by something way too soft or way too stiff. Too soft would mean the car transfers weight and roll too quickly and hits its suspension limit suddenly. A car too stiff is already acting like it's at its limit.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Awesome replies guys thanks. Okay I'm just gonna do an adjustable phb and some strano springs for the rear and call it a day. If I'm still rubbing I'll go to town with the ball ping . Sound like a plan?

Quick Reply: effect of lowering only the front??