Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LG's LCAs + BMR relocation brackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LG's LCAs + BMR relocation brackets

Will LG motorsports adj LCA's work with BMR's adjustable relocation brackets? Any clue....Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I put LG poly/rod LCAs on with BMR relocation brackets. I had to grind the spacers for the rod end down in order for them it fit into the housing of the relocation bracket.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez ... don't grind the spacers. Too much risk of getting the sides out of parallel.

Take a bar and open up the relocation brackets. Chances are very good that when you tightened up the other set of LCAs, the brackets squeezed in.

When you get the LG LCAs installed and tighten, they will squeeze to the spacer width.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't have to modify anything. Mine slipped right in with a little push.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Geez ... don't grind the spacers. Too much risk of getting the sides out of parallel.

Take a bar and open up the relocation brackets. Chances are very good that when you tightened up the other set of LCAs, the brackets squeezed in.

When you get the LG LCAs installed and tighten, they will squeeze to the spacer width.
I made sure they are parallel (or very very close). Both the relocation brackets and the LCAs were brand new.

I was concerned about getting them out of parallel, but I'm not sure what would happen if they were ground crooked??? What would be the consequence? Improper load in the relocation housing? Subject to loosening up? I was wondering if I was worrying too much...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I made sure they are parallel (or very very close). Both the relocation brackets and the LCAs were brand new.

I was concerned about getting them out of parallel, but I'm not sure what would happen if they were ground crooked??? What would be the consequence? Improper load in the relocation housing? Subject to loosening up? I was wondering if I was worrying too much...
Someones tolerances must have been slightly off if they were both brand new
Old 05-12-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

In my case the assembled LG LCA's (with dust boots, spacers, and rod end) were too wide to fit into my BMR bolt-in relocation brackets. I mic'ed everything and it turned out that the rod end assembly was exactly .200" too wide on both sides. I took the spacers to a local machine shop and had them remove .100" from the large end of each spacer. Any shop with a lathe should be able to do it accurately. Fits like a champ now. Definitely don't cut the spacers down with a grinder, hacksaw, etc. - not a good idea.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Someones tolerances must have been slightly off if they were both brand new

This has come up before, they just don't seem to work together. BMR seems to build on the "small" side.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Well, if there is an issue w/the LG LCAs and BMR relocation brackets, what other bolt-in relocation brackets are avialable that will definitely work w/the LCAs? The LCA relocation brackets on LG's site say that they are weld-ins.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they don't fit, open the bracket up with a bar. NBD ...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
In my case the assembled LG LCA's (with dust boots, spacers, and rod end) were too wide to fit into my BMR bolt-in relocation brackets. I mic'ed everything and it turned out that the rod end assembly was exactly .200" too wide on both sides. I took the spacers to a local machine shop and had them remove .100" from the large end of each spacer. Any shop with a lathe should be able to do it accurately. Fits like a champ now. Definitely don't cut the spacers down with a grinder, hacksaw, etc. - not a good idea.
Well, I did it carefully, and haven't had any problems. I will keep my fingers crossed. If this could potentially be a serious problem, I hope someone will let me know, if so, I can call LG and order some new spacers, then have them professionally machined.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Well, I did it carefully, and haven't had any problems. I will keep my fingers crossed. If this could potentially be a serious problem, I hope someone will let me know, if so, I can call LG and order some new spacers, then have them professionally machined.
IMO, its likely not going to cause a problem - just keep an eye on it. This type of joint is ok if clamped, but if you load the "ears" of the clevis fitting (i.e. the relocation bracket) too much or unevenly it could unduly stress them. Again, likely not a problem in this case since its thick material and you're talking relatively small tolerances.

Just for the record the machine shop I went to did the work in about 5 minutes for $10 in cash walking in off the street. If you don't have a set of calipers, you can pick up a cheap set of digital ones from Harbor Freight for ~$25 that'll work pretty well for this kind of measurement.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

I tried e-mailing LG w/this question 2 days ago, but from what I heard their customer service is lacking....
Old 05-13-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Larry,
I talked to Louis about this combo a couple years ago and (IIRC) he basically said that they build their stuff on one end of the tolerance range while BMR apparently builds on the other end in this case. Any time you mix/match different aftermarket parts you open yourself up for this kind of thing. Nothing new nor is it unique to this application.

Bottom line- if you want to run BMR relocation brackets with your G2 LCA's just plan on spending a few extra bucks having the spacers modified. Its really not a big deal.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to widen the BMR's to allow the G2's to fit, and I ran BMR LCA's prior to the G2's. To widen it I used a pair of large pliers and pulled; no issues since, that was 2 years ago.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine fit, but not without some force...
Old 05-13-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Larry,
I talked to Louis about this combo a couple years ago and (IIRC) he basically said that they build their stuff on one end of the tolerance range while BMR apparently builds on the other end in this case. Any time you mix/match different aftermarket parts you open yourself up for this kind of thing. Nothing new nor is it unique to this application.

Bottom line- if you want to run BMR relocation brackets with your G2 LCA's just plan on spending a few extra bucks having the spacers modified. Its really not a big deal.
Thanks for the info. Two more questions to throw out there though. 1) Is there any other company that makes in bolt-in relocation brackets that would work & 2) what type of shop would be able to modify the spacers? ???

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99BackNBlackZ28
Thanks for the info. Two more questions to throw out there though. 1) Is there any other company that makes in bolt-in relocation brackets that would work & 2) what type of shop would be able to modify the spacers? ???

Thanks.
I think there are other bolt-in relocation brackets out there, but I can't remember what brand off hand - Metco maybe?? I actually like my BMR brackets.
Any competent machine shop with a lathe can modify the spacers for you. Just remember that the material must be removed from the large end of the spacer.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anybody used the Metco brackets? I have BMR boxed lca's and know someone with a set of Metco relo brcackets will that work?

Gilbert

Quick Reply: LG's LCAs + BMR relocation brackets