Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hit a curb and damaged engine cradle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit a curb and damaged engine cradle

Like title says...hit a curb at less than 5mph and to my surprise, the engine cradle of my LS1 GTO got bent at the bolt where it connects to the chassis and completely broke off at the other bolt on the same side. The other side looks OK. The wheel that hit the curb (which is the side with all the damage) got pushed back and is now rubbing against the fender well.

Anyway, I just bought a new engine cradle. My question is, what else should I expect to have been effected by the impact?

Like what else is connected to the engine cradle that is usually effected by such accidents? Just want to know what to expect.

The main thing I want to know is which bolts are TTY from all the bolts that hold whatever is connected to the engine cradle that I will most probably have to remove?
Including the engine cradle itself...are the bolts of it TTY? If so...how important is it to replace them? Is it OK if I just replace them with similar bolts from the hardware store?
I am not in the States, getting TTY head bolts for the GTO is impossible let alone the K member. And ordering them is not feasible atm.

Greatly appreciate your input on this guys!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also check the lower control arm and spindle of the wheel that hit, also obviously the wheel that hit and possibly the upper control arm depending on how the suspension is on a GTO, I haven't personally seen the front wheel wells of a GTO to how it's different (if in any real way) compared to a 4th gen f-body.

Quick Reply: Hit a curb and damaged engine cradle