Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another alignment failure – what to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another alignment failure – what to do

I just replaced my shock and spring with Koni sports and BMR 1.5 lower springs. Before I did this, I noticed that my right front tire was rubbing the wheel well a little. Therefore, I assume I needed a wheel alignment. Reading all the post about the challenges with aligning F-body I was not optimistic, but I gave it a shot. Not surprisingly, they told me that they could not get it within specification because of the lower springs. Even though the car was not lower by the springs. It was still at the stock height. The measurements before was Camber -0.6,-0.4, Caster +6.5, +6.2, toe -.65, -.55 and after Camber -0.6, -0.4, Caster +6.5,+6.2, toe 0,0, and the right wheel still rubs. My question is can I live with these specs as I do not know of a good shop that can actual align F-bodies.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That alignment set-up isn't all that bad. If you have a tire rubbing somewhere on the body, you have some sort of other problem, IMHO....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your response. I was hoping some more members would weigh in on whether my alignment is ok, or whether I should try and improve on it. I read that a number of members with “stock wheel size” have a similar problem with the front passenger wheel rubbing when turning, but I did not see any solutions. Some individuals suggest the bushing may be worn, which is possible with a 113000 miles on my car. Unfortunately, replacing the bushings on the control arm looks like a nightmare. So it is unlikely I am going to do it at this time.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmmcamaro2002
Thanks for your response. I was hoping some more members would weigh in on whether my alignment is ok, or whether I should try and improve on it. I read that a number of members with “stock wheel size” have a similar problem with the front passenger wheel rubbing when turning, but I did not see any solutions. Some individuals suggest the bushing may be worn, which is possible with a 113000 miles on my car. Unfortunately, replacing the bushings on the control arm looks like a nightmare. So it is unlikely I am going to do it at this time.
Since your screen name includes the number "2002", would that be the year of your car? If so, yeah, your car is 12 years old, and with over 100,000 miles, the bushings may be suspect, but even if they were, the wheel/tire shouldn't be near the bodywork. Where, exactly, is the tire making contact?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Yes. It is a 2002 Z28 camaro. see attached picture. It rubs on the passenger side by the front bumper when the wheels are turned.
Attached Thumbnails -imag0030.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

what size tires are you running? take a picture with the wheel straight, I'd like to see if the wheel sits centered in the wheel well to begin with. It could have something to do with the 6 degrees of caster. Judging by your caster and camber settings they did the old Toe n' Go alignment, so I wouldn't have expected that to change anything
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes. It is a 2002 Z28 camaro. see attached picture. It rubs on the passenger side by the front bumper when the wheels are turned.
My car is really close at that point, with 275/40/17s on 9.5" rims, with 7.125" of back spacing, but not to the point that the tire has rubbed through the inner fender....
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Teching In

The driver side wheels is in the center, but the passenger side is about 1/2 inch forward. This is with stock wheels. I guess that is why it hits the bumper. I do not know why it is and I was hoping the aligniment would help the problems, but they could not change the relationship between the castor/camber, so I am stuck with it. However even if I could fix the camber I do not think it would solve my wheel rubbing. The car has no record of being in an accident and there is no evidence that it has been hit.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

The driver side wheels is in the center, but the passenger side is about 1/2 inch forward. This is with stock wheels. I guess that is why it hits the bumper. I do not know why it is and I was hoping the aligniment would help the problems, but they could not change the relationship between the castor/camber, so I am stuck with it. However even if I could fix the camber I do not think it would solve my wheel rubbing. The car has no record of being in an accident and there is no evidence that it has been hit.
I understand what you're saying, BUT your caster/camber settings are quite good. The problem, at least IMHO, is somewhere else....
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inspect your bushings, if unsure, post photos of them. My '02 RS which sees winters had it's front lower bushings replaced as they were all cracked, and the front end felt like it tracked much better after completion, it was a big deal.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have one tire sitting half an inch forward and the other straight, that could be why the alignment equipment couldn't get a balance to tell the technician. Have a shop replace your lower A-arm bushings, and if you can get urethane ones, get them. they will last a lot longer then stock. It will be worth it to stop chewing through your front bumper cover and that annoying rubbing.

Did the alignment shop inspect the ENTIRE front end? Did they give you an analysis report? Tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, upper strut bushing condition... Anything like that at all?

If they didn't, jack up your front end by the center under the engine just enough to get the tires airborn, when they are, grab the passenger tire and try to shove it backwards. also take pictures with a good camera with a flash of the A-arm where it connects to the subframe. Then post those up... I bet we can see what the problem is..
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You definitely have some issue with a damaged or bent suspension component. Even on lowered cars, you should not have rubbing issues with the tire to the inner fender/bumper. What bothers me even more is that the alignment shop did not catch nor attempt to correct this. Inspect your lower control arms and bushings because 1/2" difference in wheel center is a big issue. Once you find the cause of that issue, find another alignment shop. Them telling you they cannot change relation between camber and caster on a 4th gen instantly loses credibility with me. The rear lower control arms mounts are setup to allow caster changes with minimal effects on camber. We have plenty of people running our springs with adjustability in their suspension left to set the alignment where you want it. The specs you posted are not terrible, but considering the fact that the wheels are not equally centered (meaning your wheelbase is actually different from one side of the car to the other), I have some concerns about it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they try to loosen the bolts to shift the k member?

Quick Reply: Another alignment failure – what to do