Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Hitting bump stops all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Hitting bump stops all the time

Hello
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to fix a current issue I am having. The rear end has been banging so I lifted it up and come to find out the bump stop on the driver side was completely gone. I ordered up and replaced both sides and with the car sitting level and the new stops I have maybe an inch of travel before both meet again.

I have a 2001 Camaro SS which has been lowered with Eibach Pro Kit Springs all the way around and Bilstein shocks all the way around. I measured and from ground to fender in the front I have just over 26 inches and in the rear right around 26 inches. I have around 100 lbs of audio equiptment running in the rear at all times.

The lowering was done around 8-10k miles and currently have 18k on it. All the work was probably done 14 years ago.

Looking for advice on where to go from here to get .5-1 inch more clearance in the rear. When I push down and release the back of the car it doesn't bounce so I don't think the shocks are bad, but maybe after sitting for that many years they are I just don't know how to tell straight up.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need more info to help diagnose, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I have almost the exact same issue with my car. I bottom out almost every time I drive it somewhere. New bump stops which are taller then the stock ones due to SLP putting 17" tires on the car. I'm about to order new adjustable shocks and see if maybe that will help stiffen up the rear end a bit.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat2003F7
Hello
I have a 2001 Camaro SS which has been lowered with Eibach Pro Kit Springs all the way around and Bilstein shocks all the way around. I measured and from ground to fender in the front I have just over 26 inches and in the rear right around 26 inches. I have around 100 lbs of audio equiptment running in the rear at all times.
Thanks!
Anytime you lower the car with shorter springs you lose suspension travel.
The only way to get the height back is to put in taller springs (stock). You can also trim the bump stops to gain a little clearance. Stiffer shocks/springs will help but also hurts ride quality. The extra weight from audio equipment isn't helping lol
Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest some research here: I've read numerous posts about the eibach springs sagging over time.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat2003F7
Hello
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to fix a current issue I am having. The rear end has been banging so I lifted it up and come to find out the bump stop on the driver side was completely gone. I ordered up and replaced both sides and with the car sitting level and the new stops I have maybe an inch of travel before both meet again.

The lowering was done around 8-10k miles and currently have 18k on it. All the work was probably done 14 years ago.

Looking for advice on where to go from here to get .5-1 inch more clearance in the rear. When I push down and release the back of the car it doesn't bounce so I don't think the shocks are bad, but maybe after sitting for that many years they are I just don't know how to tell straight up.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need more info to help diagnose, let me know.

Thanks!
First and foremost did you remove the bumpstop spacer that comes on the WS6/SS cars? If you got the Z28 bumpstops that are taller then you should remove the unnecessary spacer and you will gain some travel back.

On the cheaper side of things you should try doing the heater hose mod expect don't replace the rubber spring cup, just use it in addition to the heater hose on the spring, that should raise the car a little.
If that is not enough you can buy drag bags for like $100 and inflate them to your desired height/stiffness.
That or you can just buy different rear springs that don't lower as much.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shadyredeyes81
I have almost the exact same issue with my car. I bottom out almost every time I drive it somewhere. New bump stops which are taller then the stock ones due to SLP putting 17" tires on the car. I'm about to order new adjustable shocks and see if maybe that will help stiffen up the rear end a bit.
Remove the bumpstop spacer, you don't need it and you will gain more suspension travel which will help your ride quality.

Also just buying "adjustable" shocks doesn't mean it will fix it. If you think you need shock then you need to buy good shocks, as they will make a night and day difference. Cheap, poorly designed shocks will end up costing you more in the long run because you will not be satisfied with them and just end up buying the more expensive shocks down the road anyway.

If you are on budget then the non adjustable Bilstien shocks do well or the Koni str.t. The cheapest adjustable shocks that are actually good are Koni Sports. The other cheaper ones have design flaws(like either bad ride quality or bad handling or both) and/or poor quality and won't last.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost everybody I know who has then eibach pro kit suffers from hitting the bumpstops a lot of the time, the rear also seems to sit extra low after a year or so of being fitted. I guess that’s the eibach trademark sagging.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Remove the bumpstop spacer, you don't need it and you will gain more suspension travel which will help your ride quality.

Also just buying "adjustable" shocks doesn't mean it will fix it. If you think you need shock then you need to buy good shocks, as they will make a night and day difference. Cheap, poorly designed shocks will end up costing you more in the long run because you will not be satisfied with them and just end up buying the more expensive shocks down the road anyway.

If you are on budget then the non adjustable Bilstien shocks do well or the Koni str.t. The cheapest adjustable shocks that are actually good are Koni Sports. The other cheaper ones have design flaws(like either bad ride quality or bad handling or both) and/or poor quality and won't last.
I have issues already with the tires rubbing the fender wells with the taller space on my bump stops. I have contemplated putting the shorter ones back in but I don't want to ruin a new set of tires.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you need to replace those sagging rear springs.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I believe I'll be ordering a set of Strano springs soon!
Old 03-31-2018, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have issues already with the tires rubbing the fender wells with the taller space on my bump stops. I have contemplated putting the shorter ones back in but I don't want to ruin a new set of tires.
Are you using stock wheels/tires (275/40/17)?
If so then you just need to get an adjustable phb.

You can run the shorter bumpstops with no spacer and have no rubbing issues if you have your rear axle aligned properly.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cheap replacement rubber bump stops, if needed as well:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ts-rubber.html
Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you using stock wheels/tires (275/40/17)?
If so then you just need to get an adjustable phb.

You can run the shorter bumpstops with no spacer and have no rubbing issues if you have your rear axle aligned properly.
I'm running 315/35/17's.

Last edited by Shadyredeyes81; 04-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I"m running 315/35/17's.
Ah that changes things quite a bit.
I assume you have an adjustable PHB then?
A watts link may fix your issues if you want to spend that kind of money.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I do not have an adjustable PHB. Maybe that's a problem...
Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Bump stops can't hit if you don't have them
Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Launching!

You'll still hit if you remove the bump stops and have Strano springs like I do. I have Koni DA shocks too. There is no avoiding it on a lowered car. I'm thinking air bags are the only way. Looking into it now.....anyone out there put air ride/bag something that's adjustable in the rear?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shippershack
You'll still hit if you remove the bump stops and have Strano springs like I do. I have Koni DA shocks too. There is no avoiding it on a lowered car. I'm thinking air bags are the only way. Looking into it now.....anyone out there put air ride/bag something that's adjustable in the rear?

Just finished 800 miles of driving since having Strano springs fitted...not hit the stops once yet...
Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by shippershack
There are ways to avoid it. Have not even come close to hitting them since they were removed. Torque arm will hit the floor long before anything else makes contact.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
There are ways to avoid it. Have not even come close to hitting them since they were removed. Torque arm will hit the floor long before anything else makes contact.
What about for a street car that you don't want to run really stiff rear spring rates?

Also on your comment that will totally depend on the car setup. My tires (315/35/17) will EASILY hit my outer fenders before they were semi rolled without the bumpstops. They would actually hit WITH the shorter WS6 bumpstops still there when they didn't have the spacer there. Semi rolled them (didn't want to go all the way and possibly dent the fender or crack paint) and now they won't hit with the shorter bump stops and no spacer but its still pretty close, like less than a pinky finger of space.
Furthermore at one point in time my UMI torque arm came in contact with the body (there is a little dent, hard to notice) and Ive never run without bumpstops. So at some point in time it has hit even with the bumpstops on. Probably with stock wheels/tires and the shorter bumpstop with no spacer.