Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help Me Decide on Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Decide on Suspension

I've been having the itch to lower my car lately and need help deciding what lowering setup to get.
Info on the car: c5 Z06 wheels 17x9.5 fronts with 255/45/17 555s 18x9.5 rears with 285/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1s

Now I know my tires are a little taller than what are commonly used on this site. So that's where I need help on deciding what lowering setup to go with. There really isn't the 4x4 gap that most cars have. The suspension is mainly stock besides founders LCAs. Also I ended up cutting 1 coil on each spring just in the front. So keep that in mind.
I'll probably end up doing springs, shocks, and adj. Panhard.
I like the lowered look. I'm not sure if springs like stranos would be enough for me or not. That's where I need your opinions.

Pics of the car: (I know they aren't the best, they're what are on my computer. I'll try to get better ones tonight)

Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We have MANY people running our 1.25" springs with either Bilstein or Koni shocks with nothing but positive response so far. We are also running a special on Koni shocks and our springs. Give us a call and we can put you together a quote for a package deal with a panhard bars as well. We have tons of pictures of cars on our setup for reference also
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks I'll keep those in mind^^

Any other opinions out there? I got some better pics from the side so here they are:

Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is an example of how our springs sit on a 4th gen camaro on a similar tire/wheel setup

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I havve BMR springs on the back and Strano's on the front. Bilstein SLP struts/springs all the way around. I then added Strano front and rear sways. Car handles so much better and can cut a great corner. The Strano and BMR spring kits are very similiar in lowering and performance. I am running 18x9.5's all the way around with 275/35R18's. No rubbing issues in any driving condition and I measured my rear tires alignment to the fenders and they are dead on, so no adjustable PHB was needed.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallj
I've been having the itch to lower my car lately and need help deciding what lowering setup to get.
Info on the car: c5 Z06 wheels 17x9.5 fronts with 255/45/17 555s 18x9.5 rears with 285/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1s

Now I know my tires are a little taller than what are commonly used on this site. So that's where I need help on deciding what lowering setup to go with. There really isn't the 4x4 gap that most cars have. The suspension is mainly stock besides founders LCAs. Also I ended up cutting 1 coil on each spring just in the front. So keep that in mind.
I'll probably end up doing springs, shocks, and adj. Panhard.
I like the lowered look. I'm not sure if springs like stranos would be enough for me or not. That's where I need your opinions.

You should consider the fully adjustable coil-over package from Viking. You can select a wide range of spring rates to work with your performance and ride requirements, then you have the ability to set the ride height for the stance you are looking for. To top it all off you get double external adjustable valving so you can set your shocks to transfer weight and hook up on a dig, or hang the twisties.

The Viking shocks also have a industry best 2 year warranty that speaks volumes in itself about their confidence in quality and workmanship.

Give us a call and we can go over your options and set you up with the right shocks and springs for your needs and work within your budget as well.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ So what's the warranty on the rear coil overs not damaging the car in some way, since F-Bodies were not designed for them? Skeptical.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No skeptics needed... the proof is there. 100s of customers of ours and several other vendors with coil-over conversions on these cars for several years. I personally have never heard of seen an issue when the system is properly installed and everything is correct with the suspension.

Warrantys are only for the components, not the parts they are bolted to or application installed in/on. This is an industry standard for the most part with all performance parts that are installed by the end user with "performance enhancements" expected.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Well there is this, talking about the rears:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12304712-post6.html

"I recommend you actually look at the upper shock "mount" for yourself. It's nothing special, because it's only designed for damper forces not to hold the car up. The spring mount is all double walled stuff and meant to carry the 700-800 pounds per corner. "

and this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12784267-post4.html

"I don't get what the obsession is with the rear springs being over the shocks.... I went to the Detroit Auto Show, there was a cut away of a Lexus LFA, you know the $375k supercar..... the rear suspension: Springs on weight jackers, and shocks separate (aluminum bodied, remote/piggyback aluminum shocks too). The fact is mounting the springs over the shocks in the rear does nothing to help, just makes spring changes more of a pain in the *** IMHO. "

Originally Posted by ssvert99
No skeptics needed... the proof is there. 100s of customers of ours and several other vendors with coil-over conversions on these cars for several years. I personally have never heard of seen an issue when the system is properly installed and everything is correct with the suspension.

Warrantys are only for the components, not the parts they are bolted to or application installed in/on. This is an industry standard for the most part with all performance parts that are installed by the end user with "performance enhancements" expected.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-22-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To each their own bro. I will post pictures soon of a f-body rear frame rail that is cut away to prove to you and others the real story on where the strength is, then maybe those of you who talk about it all the time and don't really have a clue will be better informed. Stay tuned.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Bumping this back up. I've done a little more research.
Here's my idea now, heater hose mod in the rear and Strange SA coil overs in the front. I feel like with the heater hose mod, the rear will be just right, then with the coil overs I can adjust the front down right where I want it. Opinions? Also this car is actually mainly a street car so I'm not sure if that would be bad by having coil overdone the front or not.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wallj
Bumping this back up. I've done a little more research.
Here's my idea now, heater hose mod in the rear and Strange SA coil overs in the front. I feel like with the heater hose mod, the rear will be just right, then with the coil overs I can adjust the front down right where I want it. Opinions? Also this car is actually mainly a street car so I'm not sure if that would be bad by having coil overdone the front or not.
Same combination a lot of people have ran over the years. Actually works pretty well with controlling weight transfer for racing purposes as well. Rear shocks then are a easy bolt-in when you are ready for those, or you can go to coil-over in the rear at any time. Rears are a much easier install.

Give us a call and we can easily set you up with the best prices on any shock/spring combo from Strange, Viking, or Afco!

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide on Suspension