Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can a camaro be built to out handle a c6

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a camaro be built to out handle a c6

Just as the title states. Can I build a 2000 camaro to out handle my dad's 08 c6?
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your dads C6 stock?

By what measure are you assessing handling? Are you two competing in Autocross or some other timed track environment? Or just comparing "seat of the pants" feel of street handling?
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some koni adjustable shocks, bmr or strano springs, and driving lessons. Unless he's a very good driver, the lessons could make you faster in an autocross.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ What he said plus a Fays2 Watts Link, Strano sways, STB, and some good tires like Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Teching In

His car is completely stock. Eliminating the driver, I was just curious if the camaro could be built to match the corvette.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well you're definitely at a disadvantage due to more weight and a solid rear axle.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since posts have to be over 5 characters....No.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Just as the title states. Can I build a 2000 camaro to out handle my dad's 08 c6?
in what discipline? autox? hpde? open country road?

are you a better driver than your dad? have you considered doing a race school or something like that? How your car handles is directly related to your vision and how you use it..recepticals of info so to speak...a school may help you "see" that. lots of books out there on how to become a better driver. typically, cars can do more than their drivers so learning how to drive your car (to its handling limit) may help you realize how good a driver you really are...food for thought.

if you're set on modifying the camaro, be prepared to open your wallet...the location of the weight on the camaro makes it unbalanced out of the box. Leveling the playing field would mean getting you to an equal power to weight ratio...the vette has approx. 300lbs on the camaro...so lose weight and/or add power proportionately. bone stock the camaro has difficulty putting the power down, unlike the vette. so suspension and a differential will go a long way in this department. because of the weight's location on the camaro, your suspension will have to be that much better than the vettes...particularly if the camaro remains at the same weight.

my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

His car is completely stock. Eliminating the driver, I was just curious if the camaro could be built to match the corvette.
Technically yes, but you'd be better off buying a C6 at that point. You'd have to change a lot, possibly even make the car no longer have a solid rear axle.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horay for pointless questions without enough supporting information.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Easily. We have many customers who are capable of it. It just takes careful part selection to make it happen. You can't just throw a bunch of off the shelf parts at it and hope it works. It is best to plan out your suspension and select components that compliment each other to work well. If you need help with parts suggestions give us a call and we can get you pointed in the right direction
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssjason232
Since posts have to be over 5 characters....No.
Unless your fundamentally re-engineering the car from the ground up... I will concur with "no".

Live axle will never keep the tires pinned on uneven road surfaces as well as an IRS. Watts link be damned, unsprung weight is the enemy.

For that matter, the cast Iron knuckles used in the F-body aren't even as remotely light as the aluminum units used in the C4, let alone the C6.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, it would be great to understand a little more of the context here.

Without considering cost or value, the C6 is clearly the better handling car. You could spend money upgrading an F-body to run with them (as many of us on here and FRRAX prefer to do), however if you're trying to lay down a better lap time or faster time in A/X and neither of you have track experience, the single best advantage you could get would be seat time and experience.

To put it in context, check out this thread -- good for a laugh. https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...arn-track.html
Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

I would say yes... a Camaro can certainly be made to out handle a stock C6 on run flat tires. A stock base C6 is by no means some unattainable holy grail of handling performance.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to disagree with a lot of the opinions in here, and leave you with this. This 4th gen uses our suspension and would make quick work of a stock c6, as it did with the many highly modified Cobras and the 5th gen chase car. All of which are also IRS, BTW

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

I'm purely talking that assuming the drivers are of equal skill, can the camaro be built to out handle a corvette through a twisty back road or not.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you don't want any kind of specific answer so the short simple answer is: yes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm purely talking that assuming the drivers are of equal skill, can the camaro be built to out handle a corvette through a twisty back road or not.
How has your question not been answered?

I feel like you're just waiting for one misinformed person to say "put on lowering springs and it'll be better" so that you could brag saying it would be easily possible, and don't like the answers given. It's possible, but isn't cheap and imo it would be better to just save and buy the newer car that would in theory also be more reliable, keep it's value better, etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe if you unplug the battery from the vette.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
I'm going to disagree with a lot of the opinions in here, and leave you with this. This 4th gen uses our suspension and would make quick work of a stock c6, as it did with the many highly modified Cobras and the 5th gen chase car. All of which are also IRS, BTW

STi Killer - Sebring - Track Guys - YouTube
Im going to start by saying two things...

A: A prepped track and a back road west of Bum-hump tx are two different beast. Im not a race car driver in any way, but that much is obvious.

B: Ill have to partially recant some of my my prior statement... *Ahem* A live axle camaro can be significantly upgraded to compete with a stock C6 in a track environment.

The video (one of my favorite articles surrounding a "bolt-on" track build BTW) shows the high potential of a modded 4th gen, but in all fairness, your driver would have to race in a stock C6 to give ground to the argument.

My answer, in this instance, still stands at "no".

Key word is "country road". A non-race prepped, country road is full of lumpy transitions, breaks, and bumps that make wheels bounce upward.

If a wheel is bounced upward, its NOT pinned to the ground. With all other theory aside, the biggest factor in handling is simply keeping the tires pinned to the pavement. The best way to combat this inertia has always been to use components with lighter weight.

More un-sprung weight will make a bouncing tire hang in the air longer because there is more force acting against the springs. Less un-sprung weight will be easier for the springs to manage; and thus pin the wheel to the ground faster. The art of suspension is about managing inertia.

The solid axle of an F-body has 2-4 times the amount of unsprung weight, and thus that much more potential inertia. The cast aluminum upper and lower control arms of a C6 vette are MUCH lighter than the steel axle tubes, steel diff, and cast-iron diff housing of an F-body.

Unless someone makes an axle housing out of carbonfiber or similar lightweight material, there is no way to make the unsprung weight of a live axle less than the weight of an IRS LCA, UCA and aluminum knuckle assembly.

There is an odd catch 22 though... If it were possible to make a live axle housing as lightweight as the unsprung components of a C5-C6, then I believe the live axle would out perform the IRS simply due to the fact that a live axle does a better job of keeping its wheels square with the pavement.

An IRS has a changing tire patch in relation to its angle of articulation.

Hope I answered some questions.

Quick Reply: Can a camaro be built to out handle a c6