Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What to do with old QA1 HALs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What to do with old QA1 HALs?

I recently replaced the single-adjustable QA1 HAL shocks on my Formula with SLP Bilsteins... and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I hate to think you'd just throw them away, seems like they would at least have some value, but a couple of them look like they leaked a little, so I'd assume they'd need to be revalved. Only about 10,000 miles on them but they were on the car for about 8 years.

Same with my Eibach pro kit... it was on the car for several years... are they still any good?

So what do you think? Do these things have any value still, or are they basically junk at this point?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach has a lifetime warranty on the springs. Call them up and get an RMA for you to ship them back to have them dyno tested and replace out of spec ones. When you get them back sell them.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:24 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
Eibach has a lifetime warranty on the springs. Call them up and get an RMA for you to ship them back to have them dyno tested and replace out of spec ones. When you get them back sell them.
Eibach's warranty says:

"These Warranties only apply to the original purchaser who retains ownership of the vehicle on which the Products were originally installed (the "Purchaser")."

I'm not the original purchaser, I bought them from a guy who bought them and never installed them. Eibach's web page says they require a receipt for an RMA, and I don't have one. Not mention they make you pay for the shipping... so I'd say that's a bust.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Imo, sell the QA1s locally if you can, if not sell the QA1s for enough to cover the shipping cost plus enough for a 6pk of good German beer. Otherwise throw them out.
Same for the springs.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If the shocks have leaked, they're junk, and given that those shocks are terrible for our cars from the get-go, I'd just trash them. But the Eibachs don't wear out, even though they may sag. They may be of use to a guy who wants to lower his car and doesn't care about ride. I'd ask $100 for the set of four and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 AM
teh PuRpL3z

I was under the impression that QA1 will revalve these shocks for a small fee, so that's why I wondered what to do with them... and yeah they do suck from a ride quality standpoint but they were good for drag racing... so I figured someone might want a cheap set like that.

The new setup rides and handles a lot better than the QA1s its pretty traction limited and there's almost no weight transfer on a launch.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naake.com rebuilt my QA1s. Good prices, too. I sold mine on this site. I can't remember the price, but it was over $100 and one was blown. It was the second time they needed rebuilding, but I was done with the crappy ride and the hassle of rebuilding them. Great for drag racing, though. I say sell them, I had a lot of people wanting them.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat, i have qa1's that were on the car 2 of which leaked and they are now sitting here collecting dust... Like someone said naake does requild them for a price but is it really a cost effective way to sell them or sell them as is and let the buyer have them rebuilt..
Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of mine was leaking, the other was not. I sold them as is.

Quick Reply: What to do with old QA1 HALs?