Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

3rd gen bump stops (with or without spacer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 3rd gen bump stops (with or without spacer)

I got a set of 3rd gen bumps from the junk yard, and was wondering if I should use them with or without the SLP spacer that came on my car?

Here is a picture of the height difference between stock (with the spacer) and the third gen bump stop.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with is what I'm going to suggest. need to verify/check clearances/tolerances. What I did was got on Jegs and ordered a new set of bump stops for cheap. have to look up what I did, I do remember though I had to shave the spacers flat, as they have that raised section on them. This was so that my new bump stops would work/fit correctly
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you running stock (17") wheels? If so you shouldn't need the spacer. If you were running something like 17x11" or 18x10.5" and didn't roll your rear fenders then you might need the spacer so the tire doesn't contact the outer fender. I (and many others) was running the stock WS6/SS bumpstop (the shorter one) with the spacer removed for more suspension travel with the stock wheels, the car did ride noticeably better.
On a different note, are those 3rd gen bumpstops a rubber material (compared to the weird foam material of the 4th gens) or what?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

I am only running the stock 17x9's so I will go without the spacer. Yes the third gen ones are a rubber that is not supposed to rot like the 4th gen ones do. The ones in the picture are off of an '88, but I also got a set off an '83 which would fit great without the spacer but do not fit with the spacer. I would use the ones off the '83 however one was damaged when I took it off the car.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. Mine are gone and just what I needed to know what the 3rd gen looked like to buy some.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
On a different note, are those 3rd gen bumpstops a rubber material (compared to the weird foam material of the 4th gens) or what?
YES, they are a high durometer rubber compound, harder than the foamy 4th gens, but not as suspension disrupting as the ES poly ones everyone on here is so fond of.

I know becuase I bought a set off of someone on frrax.com who found many sets in good shape in his local boneyard.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Thanks for the pictures. Mine are gone and just what I needed to know what the 3rd gen looked like to buy some.
No problem. There are at least 2 slightly different styles on the 3rd gens. I got 2 sets at the junk yard, but one was damaged so I ended up throwing away that set. I don't seem to have pictures of the other set, but I wouldn't be afraid to get any in good shape off a 3rd gen. IIRC there was only a slight difference in height, which could be solved by adding/removing the spacers.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 3rd gen stops, no spacers. The 315s don't rub and I haven't rolled the fenders.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen bump stops (with or without spacer)