Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

00 fbody brake upgrade that's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00 fbody brake upgrade that's worth the money?

Anyone bought and enjoying a rotor or rotor/caliper upgrade on a 98-02 Fbody?
Any great brake pads to use with factory rotors?
Street driving with aggressive and multiple stops.

I searched and found a few vendors get bashed - but no real suggestions

Budget minded person here so the $1500 upgrade kits would not be for me

thank you!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't go with a $1500 brake upgrade.. but i just got some cross drilled and slotted rotors and that seemed to make a big difference compared to stock rotors.. I would love to invest in a $1500 brake kit though! i'm just too broke!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you do a search you'll find plenty of info on this subject.

Here is a start:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/172453-power-slot-rotors-any-good.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...led_rotors.htm
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/170002-brake-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/169988-c5-conversion-bracket.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/172177-best-brkae-up-grade-buck.html

Last edited by VIP1; 05-20-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

If you want to upgrade your braking without breaking the bank, make sure you invest in a GOOD set of tires. A good set of tires will improve your braking tremendously.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

good stuff - thank you
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cross drilled and or slotted rotors are good looking, their performance plusses are always questioned, so on a performacen stance you'll want to look are quality heavy duty blank rotors, if you want a little bling, for more money but minimal gains hit up the drilled or slotted rotors.

Cheap caliper upgrades are to swap out to C5 calipers in lieu of the F-body caliper, physically the same but constructed differently. Direct bolt on with stock F-body rotors and mounting brakets!

Quality pads, unfortunately the "good" braking pads typically dust a lot, and the less dusting ones, can have dimishing returns on braking. Hawk is supposed to be a good pad.

If I got anything wrong hopefully someone will chime in a correct me.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Cross drilled and or slotted rotors are good looking, their performance plusses are always questioned, so on a performacen stance you'll want to look are quality heavy duty blank rotors, if you want a little bling, for more money but minimal gains hit up the drilled or slotted rotors.

Cheap caliper upgrades are to swap out to C5 calipers in lieu of the F-body caliper, physically the same but constructed differently. Direct bolt on with stock F-body rotors and mounting brakets!

Quality pads, unfortunately the "good" braking pads typically dust a lot, and the less dusting ones, can have dimishing returns on braking. Hawk is supposed to be a good pad.

If I got anything wrong hopefully someone will chime in a correct me.
hmmmmm - so if I find a deal on front/rear C5 vette calipers - I can pull my stockers off and bolt the C5 on? Lines, front ABS sensor and all?
Then I assume use C5 pads as well?
Curious - what is the difference/gain?
That is the type of thing I am looking for - bolt on factory upgrades
Like putting LS1 brakes on an LT1 car...
Old 05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chief455
hmmmmm - so if I find a deal on front/rear C5 vette calipers - I can pull my stockers off and bolt the C5 on? Lines, front ABS sensor and all?
Then I assume use C5 pads as well?
Curious - what is the difference/gain?
That is the type of thing I am looking for - bolt on factory upgrades
Like putting LS1 brakes on an LT1 car...

Actually, the Pad Abutment Bracket (PAB) holds the pads and that is an F-body part (even if you change calipers because you use the one from your car) and it will use the F-body pads and rotors (even the G stop kit from LG motorsports uses f-body pads). You will not need to swap the abs sensor or anything else. You are only replacing the calipers. The calipers from the vette are pressure cast (not exactly forged, but formed under pressure) while the F-body version are "gravity cast", which is basically just "cast". Under high temps and loads the F-body calipers have been known to spread or open up. This causes the braking to be done at the outside edge of the rotor and will cause the pads to wear with a taper from top to bottom (hub to tire direction). The gain is more durable calipers and they are usually better finished in a pretty color (black or red).

Again, increased performance basically is due to the ability to handle more heat. Higher temp pads or "bigger heat sinks" (larger rotors). A caliper swap is a durability mod (also good), but will not really change anything (from F-body to Vette calipers)
Old 05-21-2004, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
Actually, the Pad Abutment Bracket (PAB) holds the pads and that is an F-body part (even if you change calipers because you use the one from your car) and it will use the F-body pads and rotors (even the G stop kit from LG motorsports uses f-body pads). You will not need to swap the abs sensor or anything else. You are only replacing the calipers. The calipers from the vette are pressure cast (not exactly forged, but formed under pressure) while the F-body version are "gravity cast", which is basically just "cast". Under high temps and loads the F-body calipers have been known to spread or open up. This causes the braking to be done at the outside edge of the rotor and will cause the pads to wear with a taper from top to bottom (hub to tire direction). The gain is more durable calipers and they are usually better finished in a pretty color (black or red).

Again, increased performance basically is due to the ability to handle more heat. Higher temp pads or "bigger heat sinks" (larger rotors). A caliper swap is a durability mod (also good), but will not really change anything (from F-body to Vette calipers)
thanks Kevin for cleaaring thatt up
what do you think of XXIS pads being offered here with a certain sponsors rotor/pad deal? I know how you feel about the rotors! "bling"!
good pads?
Tried Larry and he said he couldn't touch those prices...
thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And to be clear, only the front Calipers are interchangable. And as said before, re-use F-Body abutment brackets, F-Body brake lines and F-Body brake pads.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try LG Motorsports for the C5 upgrade. I was looking into it for awhile but $$$ was a problem for me. The price wasn't that bad though if I remember correctly. Give them a call and ask to talk to Lou.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

One more point of clarification about the F-Body vs C5 caliper difference.

The C5 rotor is significantly thicker than the F-Body rotor. Therefore the C5 caliper opening where the rotor runs is wider than the F-Body caliper.

This means that if you just bolt on a C5 caliper and everything else is F-Body, in the last 1/4 of an F-Body brake's life, the pistons in the C5 caliper will be extended further than the manufacturer intended.

I've heard of no issues concerning this and I always changed pads before they got that low. But, you guys need to know all the details to make an informed decision.

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-21-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info Mitch.

I've not used the Axxis pads. From speaking to Larry, they seem like a decent street pad for a moderate upgrade. But that is the limit of my experience with them.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Excellent information from all - thank you
Old 05-22-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, great info....are the brackets from LG still around 200 bucks?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a small ridge of rust around the rotor hat after going to the C5 upgrade from LG. Does this sound normal? Is this spread, or just becuase the PAB for the fbody won't cover the C5 rotor from hat rim to the outer edge of the rotor.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I have a small ridge of rust around the rotor hat after going to the C5 upgrade from LG. Does this sound normal? Is this spread, or just becuase the PAB for the fbody won't cover the C5 rotor from hat rim to the outer edge of the rotor.
Not to sound like an ***, but you should have started a new thread instead of replying to one that is over a year old.

Now, to be helpful....
* Can you post a picture?
* The small rim of rust at the outer edge (1/8" I guess) sounds normal for all breaking systems using iron rotors. I need some close-up pictures to see it.
* What is a PAB?
* What Caliper and Pads are you using?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
* What is a PAB?
Pad Abutment Bracket - The "cage" that the pads load into and the caliper then bolts to the slider pins in that cage.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by trackbird
Pad Abutment Bracket - The "cage" that the pads load into and the caliper then bolts to the slider pins in that cage.
You mean those two small shiney metal clips that are near the top and bottom of the caliper where the pads slide?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
If you are talking about a small ring along the inside of the rotor surface, I believe this is due to the fact that you are using a larger diameter C5 rotor, but still using the fbody pads built for the smaller diameter fbody rotors. You went from a 12" stock rotor to a roughly 13" C5 rotor (the C5 rotors aren't exactly 13", but close to that), and you're still using the pads for the 12" rotor. Obviously those pads aren't going to adequately cover the entire surface of the 13" rotor, so you'll have a ring along the inside that isn't swept by the pad, and this ring will rust.

Quick Reply: 00 fbody brake upgrade that's worth the money?