Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reg C5 brake s or Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Reg C5 brake s or Z51?

2000 WS6 stock brakes. Been searching/reading all I can on the subject and i must say its a heated one. I will be doing 2-4 HPDE and possible Silver State Classic. I want the better kit for the money. I have narrowed it to the base C5 12.80" kit; the Z51 13.40" kit; or the SSBC 4 piston 14" kit. I have the money for any of the 3, but its close to $200 ea upgrade kit. That's up to $400 I could spend on other mods. So the question is this, I will go to Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, and Atlanta Motor Speedway for most of the HDPE stuff and throw down on a few auto X as well. I have 19" but getting new wheels which is why I'm asking as the brakes will determine 17" or 18", I'm fine with either. SO there is the question, now I would be thankful for feedback.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep in mind that as you develop, you will get faster requiring less of your braking system so you would be better served investing in your suspension if you have not already done so.

c5 12.80 inch setup will be the least expensive to maintain and the rotor options are endless. I would go with a base C6 caliper (2 piston) as it is stiffer than the C5. There will NOT be an increase in brake torque with this setup but the heat dissipation characteristics are much better than stock so stuff can be pushed harder for longer...you can run stock 17s with this setup.

The Z51 setup uses the same calipers as the base C6 i mentioned just with a bigger rotor (13.4)...you will need to run 18" wheels to accommodate the larger rotor as the pad abutment bracket pushes the caliper out towards the inner wheel.

i have no experience with SSBC 4-piston but i do have experience with the SSBC 3-piston setup. Brake feel was excellent but i'm not sure how well they handle extreme heat particularly at the track. You should be aware, SSBC's after sales services has been called into question...

if you're doing 18" wheels you can look at a C6 Z06 6-piston setup which will allow you to run a 14" rotor...this will add weight to the tune of 10lbs per rotor over the 12.8 in rotors...so lots of rotational mass but it looks awesome.

don't forget to look at your tire options...cheater tires are more plentiful in 18" but R-compound tires (race tires) are still plentiful in 17". Your Tires are what stop your car...not your brakes.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

If you want serious brakes, then you should not consider anything with caliper that has all the pistons on one side.

Wilwood makes a number of kits for the car. I carry them, they aren't nearly as costly as some others, but offer real 4 or 6 piston calipers and real two piece rotors too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Thank you both. I already ordered my 18"s from OE wheel. I will be calling Sam later this week to order his sway bars, a Fays, & springs. I have Koni sa's for those springs already. I have dabbled in auto x & RR but it was years ago(kids, they are way older now). I already have Spohn's long TQ arm & LCAs(rod ends). BFG KDWs are going on the 18". I will need the air ducts as well sinces the brakes will be beat on like an Irish wife till I get my feel back. So I guess at this point I need to call Sam, pick his brain, then fill his pockets with green so I can smile like an *** eatin briars! Once again thank you both for your thoughts. Always good folk on here.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're heading down the right path by working with Sam.

Sound advice too from brigade24. If budget isn't a concern, it's tough to beat what Wilwood brings to the table. The (more) budget conscious crowd can get a nice upgrade to the stock system with the Corvette and CTS-V systems.

Personally, I've opted to throw plenty of pad at the stock system and that's enough for my needs (and the limit of the tires). I'm also loving the cost of replacement blanks. Eventually I'll run into heating issues I can't solve with just ducts and the current setup, however until then I'm sticking with the stock setup.

Completely unrelated -- I see you're in Loganville. Any plans worked out to run on track anytime soon? I typically do 3-5 HPDE a year in the same general area (Road Atlanta, AMP, Atlanta Motor Speedway, etc.) so perhaps our paths will cross.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Spoke with Sam today and he will have my order tomorrow. He reaffirmed what I already was thinking. Lots of knowledge that fella has! He talking me into a Wilwood set up, the lite kit is what would work for me. Like Sam said, you get what you pay for. Sure the Vette kits are better than our stock but its still an OEM set-up.

I'm going to the Beach Bash Oct 9-11 then I want to hit the HPDE that's in Nov if I remember right. Don't know if I'll make the HDPE after throwing down for all this right now. I would be happy to go to an event and chew the fat. Even if I cant put it on the track, I can still watch & listen to gain knowledge!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddybones30
Spoke with Sam today and he will have my order tomorrow. He reaffirmed what I already was thinking. Lots of knowledge that fella has! He talking me into a Wilwood set up, the lite kit is what would work for me. Like Sam said, you get what you pay for. Sure the Vette kits are better than our stock but its still an OEM set-up.

I'm going to the Beach Bash Oct 9-11 then I want to hit the HPDE that's in Nov if I remember right. Don't know if I'll make the HDPE after throwing down for all this right now. I would be happy to go to an event and chew the fat. Even if I cant put it on the track, I can still watch & listen to gain knowledge!
cool...enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Reg C5 brake s or Z51?