Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks & Springs upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks & Springs upgrade

I'm looking at getting the Bilstein shocks and I am curious as to what is recommended for upgrading the springs? Is it even worth upgrading the springs(170k miles)? I like the stock height. The most I'd be alright with is maybe a 1" drop.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Our springs with the Bilstein shocks have been a proven combo for years. Ride quality and handling are dramatically improved. Our springs are 1.25" drop, but I'll let the pics speak for themselves as far as the stance they give these cars!

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I have the stock RS ground effects(not taking off) would those springs work well with the kit?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Bilstein is a common answer, and I sell a lot of them even with springs. Though it's not my recommendation. Folks like the price... For the price I think you are way better off on Koni STR.T which have better rebound control.

Bilstein's are adequate, that's it. They aren't great for lowering springs and they will not stay adequate forever either. You are asking more from them than they were designed to do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Bilstein is a common answer, and I sell a lot of them even with springs. Though it's not my recommendation. Folks like the price... For the price I think you are way better off on Koni STR.T which have better rebound control.

Bilstein's are adequate, that's it. They aren't great for lowering springs and they will not stay adequate forever either. You are asking more from them than they were designed to do.
I'm not sure if maybe my original post was misunderstood or what. I'm not asking for them to do anything specific. Mostly looking for a recommendation on springs. I would prefer stock height. I currently have my original shocks at 170k miles which are completely warn out and my car rides terribly. I'm sure the Bilsteins would be more than adequate for my needs. I just want to know which springs would be recommended for the Bilstein shocks and wouldn't lower my car much. My wife already complains about getting in and out of the car. Could I just reuse my stock springs? or should I expect them to be bad as well considering the high mileage?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject and tedious questions. I'm not too car savvy which is why I am here. I want to learn! Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing wrong with using the stock spring unless they're sagging severely, or damaged.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

But you are asking for them to do something specific.... work. And I assume work well. Nobody likes to buy anything that only works half-assed ok.

The stock shocks I think were crap when new. Some thought they were fine. Regardless they aren't fine now. But a new shock in and of itself isn't a cure all forever. Anything will help vs. stock in the short term, and be better than stock for a while as they just don't have miles on them like the stock shocks do. But the less capable the shocks you put on are of doing their job, and doing it well, the faster both the ride and handling will suffer.

And yes you can use stock springs, in fact they are the best riding springs once you have good shocks. And stock springs allow any shock to live a longer life as you asking less of the shock to control a taller softer spring.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks all! I will keep my stock springs and just upgrade my shocks with the Bilsteins.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeym718
Thanks all! I will keep my stock springs and just upgrade my shocks with the Bilsteins.
Correct answer! You will be pleased!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can swing it I would buy the koni's before the Bilsteins hands down.If you can afford it I would get the Koni s/a shocks, they kick ***. You will be glad you spent the extra dough.
Listen to Strano, he really knows his stuff.When it comes to our cars he is the man.I have done a lot of business with him.

Quick Reply: Shocks & Springs upgrade