Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop from take off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel hop from take off

Upgraded the rear suspension with UMI rear tubular bars and tubular pan hard bar (none adjustable) and still have some wheel hop from take off. Every other suspension part is bone stock. I have y2k wheels with GY eagle tires on the car also.
2002 6sp stock gears
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

OEM shocks are not known for their ability to control wheel hop.
LCA relos also help.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

^x1 my lca relocation brackets fixed my wheel hop and most of my traction issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're lowered, the LCA geometry is compromised. The arm should be near parallel to the ground, and lowering the car causes the arm to sit nose down. The LCA Relo brackets will correct that geometry and more often then not will alleviate wheel hop.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnbooster87
Upgraded the rear suspension with UMI rear tubular bars and tubular pan hard bar (none adjustable) and still have some wheel hop from take off. Every other suspension part is bone stock. I have y2k wheels with GY eagle tires on the car also.
2002 6sp stock gears
The M6 cars are very aggressive on the suspension and require a few parts and some easy tuning to make it work. When you do get to that point you will be pleasantly surprised how well the torque arm suspension puts the power to the ground.

I would suggest a set of LCA relocation brackets and a nice set of adjustable shocks. There are a wide variety of shocks out there, but for the average weekend toy, occasional racer the Strange and Viking shocks are very affordable and will get you great performance without spending a ton of cash.

Give us a call and we will be happy to set you up with the right parts, guaranteed lowest prices, and the best tech help available!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help, ill be purchasing a set of relocation brackets. I use my vehicle as a daily driver so what springs and shock combo would you guys recommend? Maybe in the future ill do a few track passes but that's about it.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shocks will depend on your budget, but we have had great results with street/strip cars using the Viking shocks. Shock package will be a complete setup including 4 shocks, front springs, spring seat bearings and spanner wrenches. The shocks and relocation brackets will be well under 1000.00. Give us a call, parts are ready to ship!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also check your torque arm bushing at the trans. If that has gotten sloppy it can possibly contribute to wheel hop. But I would expect those stock shocks to be toast as they were pretty junk when brand new lol.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop from take off