Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment after relocation brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alignment after relocation brackets?

Hey guys. My trans am has stock suspension accept for koni yellows. Car ran striaght and felt good. Then i installed bmr relocation brackets along with non adjustable lca's with rubber bushings and the car seems to wander side to side on the highway. Also, my car feels floaty on the highway as well. I have the lca's set to the higher position. I also have a poly torque arm bushing. I also notice i can push the car down pretty easily wih my hand over the rear suspension, the front feels a lot harder to get down. Do i need an alignment or something? What do you guys think?
Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Try putting a tape measure on the ground between the front and rea tires and see if there's a notible difference. Make sure everythings tight. If non adj.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Launching!

I measured between front and back wheels and everything measured equal. Im going to take the car for an alignment. Car had 245 r 16s and now has 275.r17s. Would ajusting rear koni yellow shocks a little firmer help you think?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Did you install the LCAs and LCA bracket with the suspension loaded?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
Hey guys. My trans am has stock suspension accept for koni yellows. Car ran striaght and felt good. Then i installed bmr relocation brackets along with non adjustable lca's with rubber bushings and the car seems to wander side to side on the highway. Also, my car feels floaty on the highway as well. I have the lca's set to the higher position. I also have a poly torque arm bushing. I also notice i can push the car down pretty easily wih my hand over the rear suspension, the front feels a lot harder to get down. Do i need an alignment or something? What do you guys think?
Neither of the parts you installed should give you a floaty or wandering feeling from the car. An alignment is not needed after installing the LCAs or relocation brackets so unless your alignment has been thrown off from something else it won't help. The first thing I would try is to tighten the LCAs and relocation brackets with the rear suspension loaded. Since you have rubber bushings in your LCAs the inner sleeves don't move freely in them so they me be a binding a little.

The reason it is easier to push down the rear of your car versus the front is because the rear springs are much softer than the fronts so you can't really take that into consideration.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Launching!

I did grease the grease nipples a little, not sure if that would make them bind. I found out afterwards that grease was not needed but it was too late. Would going from 245 16s to 275 17s cause something like this? Thanks for chiming in Kyle
Old 09-09-2014, 04:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
I did grease the grease nipples a little, not sure if that would make them bind. I found out afterwards that grease was not needed but it was too late. Would going from 245 16s to 275 17s cause something like this? Thanks for chiming in Kyle
The difference in tire size won't create the issue either. If you can check the condition of the rubber bushings and see if the grease you added made them softer than what they were originally. I am a little concerned about it because if the bushings have gotten really soft from the grease then you could potentially have the issues you are having.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Launching!

What if i remove the grease? Or do you think they cant get hard anymore? Lol. If i put the poly bushings back in, do they need grease and what type? Hopefully i didnt mess the rubber bushings
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

could be the tires. Last year my car started pulling to one side and I took it to my alignment guy. He said the front tires went bad from storage. New front tires and all is good again
Old 09-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Launching!

The car has more of a left right left right jitter in the rear, although my front tires are old with some dry raught. Im going to try cleaning out the grease and adding poly bushings to the rear and see what happens. Will i get binding if i install both poly bushings on my non adjustable lca's

Quick Reply: alignment after relocation brackets?