Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good first Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first Suspension Upgrades

I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2002 WS6 with 40,000 miles on it. The only changes that were made to the car are GMMG exhaust, LCR's and adjustable panhard bar. I'm new to F-bodies after coming over from Mustangs. This car will be a weekend driver for me and I will occasionally(3-4 times/year) drive in one the local road coarse. I am wanting to reduce body roll and just improve overall handling.

After lurking on here reading for the past month, I have set aside a budget of about $2500 for upgrades.

I am considering the following:
Sway bar kit with bushings, front, hollow 35mm
Sway bar kit with bushings, rear, hollow 25mm
Koni front shock, single adjustable, sport
Koni rear shock, single adjustable, sport
Lowering springs, set of 4, 1.25" drop

Does this seem like a good start? Do I really need SFC's? Is this the best bang for my $(about $1700)?

I appreciate any insight without flaming. Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the koni shocks will make a huge difference.After my shock install I went with Strano hollow sway bars.Those two things made the biggest change in the way the car handled. Subframe connectors are good for drag racing and straight line launches.You will get a lot of opinions on that one.
I have bolt on ones that I had welded in.I am thinking of taking them out.Call Sam Strano of Strano performance and talk to him.He is the man when it comes to suspension.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tooquiet
I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2002 WS6 with 40,000 miles on it. The only changes that were made to the car are GMMG exhaust, LCR's and adjustable panhard bar. I'm new to F-bodies after coming over from Mustangs. This car will be a weekend driver for me and I will occasionally(3-4 times/year) drive in one the local road coarse. I am wanting to reduce body roll and just improve overall handling.

After lurking on here reading for the past month, I have set aside a budget of about $2500 for upgrades.

Does this seem like a good start? Do I really need SFC's? Is this the best bang for my $(about $1700)?

The combination of parts you listed will definitely give you a good base to work with and will take care of the main modifications that really improve handling the most. Just changing the sway bars, shocks, and lowering springs alone will really improve the handing and performance and make a night and difference with the car.

For what you are doing I wouldn't make the subframe connectors a priority at all so don't worry about them at all.

If there is anything we can do for you just let me know, I would be more than happy to see what I can do for you on these parts.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tooquiet

Swap that 25mm rear bar for a 22mm rear bar (25mm is more for drag), and you are set.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strano/Koni/UMI...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Swap that 25mm rear bar for a 22mm rear bar (25mm is more for drag), and you are set.
what this guy said.

25mm rear sway will have you fishtailing out of corners, not good if you want a great handler...ask me how I know LOL!!!

35 fronts 22 rears you're in GREAT shape with Koni SA's and an adjustable PHR.

have fun!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm runnin Strano springs/Koni SA's/ST 35mm solid front sway bar/Hellwig 22mm solid adjustable rear sway bar/Watts Link

It is a completely different car from stock crap. Mine is a DD that gets autocrossed every chance I can get and will continue to do so.

The Strano/Koni setup is firmer but not harsh on the road.

Biggest thing I noticed is how confident the suspension will make you feel even in a straight line. The transitional characteristics of the car are amazing with quality shocks/springs. Sway bars are icing on the cake if you are really wanting handling.

Quick Reply: Good first Suspension Upgrades