Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

OE rear Shock replacment

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OE rear Shock replacment

I'm looking into replacing the shocks on the rear of my '94 Z28. Just looking for street performance, adjustability is not needed, but Bilsteins are out of my budget. Basically I'm looking to freshen up the 20+ yr old stock shocks on there and wondering if it's worth doing w/ the cheaper shocks.

Would something like a KYB Gas-A-Just offer any improvement over the stock shocks? How about when you factor in the age of the stockers on there now?
Any advice much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

KYB's Gas-a-just lineup is a fairly dependable OEM replacement. I'd say IMO they are the best shock for the rear under $50 per shock, RockAuto supplies them fairly cheap too. I've had them on my car since Spring of this year and they're decent for the price, however they give more of a "jarring" ride over uneven roads, especially within the first 2 weeks, then again all shocks have a break-in period, but they handle similar to OEM. Just do NOT get Monroe Sensa-Tracs for the rear...

How many miles are on your car?

50th post!!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Having been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc, I say wait. Just save up a few more months and get the Bilsteins (or Koni STR.T, similar pricing). It isn't worth doing the job twice and spending more money in the long run.

The Bilsteins would be far superior than the KYB on the street. Again, been there, done that.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the same but am leaning towards the Koni STR.T shocks.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I switched over from KYB's to STR.t's several weeks ago (gas-a-just in rear, adjustables in front). However, I also changed out the stock springs to Strano's, so I can't say how the shocks perform w/stock springs. I am very pleased with the new setup. From what I remember reading, Sam Strano says that, for budget shocks, the STR.t's are better for lowered cars, while Bilsteins for stock height.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. The difference in build and ride quality between a factory replacement shock or KYB and a Bilstein/Koni shock are unbelievable. They are in a completely different league. I would save up and get a pair of either the Str.t's or Bilsteins. They are a bit more than your average auto parts store replacements, but the quality and ride are such a dramatic difference, you will not look back.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I went ahead and got the KYB Gas-A-Just. I believe the Bilsteins are worth the price difference, I just have my mind set on headers being my next big buy for the car. The KYB's price wasn't too bad at all through ebay and it's give me something to do on the car for now. I would hope for some improvement over the stock ones but we'll see.

"Corvett z07" the car has 54,500 miles. It was stock when I got it w/ 45,000 in 2009.

Last edited by MTs94Z; 10-08-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Just for the record, if your gonna go with some cheap crappy replacement shocks due to budget issues (and you are still at stock height, must be at stock height for these) get the Monroe MA805 and the dual line air kit (so you can set the pressure separately for each side).

Once you get them dialed in they ride very smoothly but it's all about tweaking them as they break in to maintain the proper ride quality, to high a pressure and they stiffen up a lot, to little and they are to soft. I ran them for 6 months till I had the budget for the full swap (but I had like 190k miles on my stock parts), they work for a bandaid fix but you will want to get something better within a year.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Well the Ebayer over sold his stock so I'm getting a refund. Going to wait and get the Bilsteins after all
Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MTs94Z
Well the Ebayer over sold his stock so I'm getting a refund. Going to wait and get the Bilsteins after all
Good call. You will not be disappointed!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: OE rear Shock replacment