Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone running a Three link on there 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a Three link on there 4th gen

I saw a road racecar today where they deleted the TQ arm and ran a three link like a circle track car. They made a bracket that bolted to the rear end and made a mount on the body. They used about a 8" piece of tubbing like a lower control arm would be made out of with a heim joint on either end. Is any one else running this? He said he liked it a lot better then the TQ arm what do yall think?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a great idea for a track car, changes the instant center under braking helping control brake hop. The downside is its a track only setup, as it needs to be built into a cage like the car you saw as the floor of an f-body leaves no good mounting points.

Another solution that accomplishes the same thing is Unbalanced Engineering's de-coupled torque arm. Google them (not a sponsor). It's a short torque arm that decouples under braking, giving you the best of both worlds. 100% bolt in. Be aware it's very pricey and will be discontinued at the end of the year. If its something you are interested in jump on the train now.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car a flat black LT1 body Camaro?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
It's a great idea for a track car, changes the instant center under braking helping control brake hop. The downside is its a track only setup, as it needs to be built into a cage like the car you saw as the floor of an f-body leaves no good mounting points.
I agree. I had an oval track car, back in the 80s, and it had a 3 link deal. The upper link bolted to a pair of "downbars" on the cage. I highly doubt that the floor pan of an F-bod would have the strength for an upper link mount. Secondly, if you kept the OE floor configuration, the link would wind up being way too short.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The 05+ Mustang has a similar setup to this. They work pretty well, but the floorpan does require a large mount and extra bracing built in to support this load. The f-body chassis was not designed to handle this load in that area.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Three link on there 4th gen