Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those who have installed bushings/ball joints in stock A arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those who have installed bushings/ball joints in stock A arms

I hear a lot of not so good times when this is attempted on the stock a arms. Is it lack of tools and equipment or just some know how and patience needed? I need to do a front end rebuild PDQ. I have access to shop equipment and have done rebuilds on 2nd gens(different car I know) just saying it doesn't scare me to dive in. Are after market A arms that much better? Pricey for a DD. Opinions bad and good, please.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not really any different that doing older GM stuff. You have tools and a good attitude towards the project, go for it. For a DD, I would keep stock arms with moog bushings and ball joints. Stronger than aftermarket with better ride compliance.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
It's not really any different that doing older GM stuff. You have tools and a good attitude towards the project, go for it. For a DD, I would keep stock arms with moog bushings and ball joints. Stronger than aftermarket with better ride compliance.

You are so right! I just finished doing front suspension on the hawk and front on my 95 lincoln with nothing but Moog replacement parts.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
You are so right! I just finished doing front suspension on the hawk and front on my 95 lincoln with nothing but Moog replacement parts.
Any snags you can advise me on or just sraight forward remove and replace on the F body. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well, for one the front arm is awkward, and two the rear bushing is vertical which adds another element to getting them swapped out. Pain in the butt if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not too difficult but it's not easy either. Back when I did it to my stock arms a long time ago I used a 10ton press, and I had to use misc. sockets and pieces of metal to press them out. The angle that the arms sit at makes it a bitch to press out straight but it's doable if you shim them up right. A bushing press kit would not work those things get rusted in there pretty well. So soak in pb blaster for a while before pressing them out
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Any snags you can advise me on or just sraight forward remove and replace on the F body. Thanks.
If I had been at work to use torches, it would of saved alot of time. Then running back to Auto Zone and Advance Auto to rent their tools free, killed alot of time. Everything you ever want to do to your car can be found on YouTube. Also on here at Tech.
As far as snags, allow for getting the tools. Order your parts way in advance. And read and search Youtube. It's all step by step.
The only thing I would of done different is I would of replaced my upper control arm complete with the bushings and ball joint already in it. Did'nt cost that much to get it all together. Back then they had a couple different ones to chose from. Now it's just one vendor.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02...

Originally Posted by Undertow74
It's not too difficult but it's not easy either. ....soak in pb blaster for a while before pressing them out
Use the new WD-40 Rust Penetrant - it's much better than PB Blaster; yeah, I know - tough to believe but that new WD-40 really works well.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad at all. I replaced my upper and lower arm bushings last winter. Used an air hammer and the vice to drive them out then used my ball joint press and white lithium grease to press them in. Yes the job is a little awkward because the way the bushings press in and you have to kind of rig a method of pressing the outer steel collar but with a little patience I am really glad I replaced them
Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on your access to quality tools, really. If you're going with rental tools from the auto parts store, good luck with that. I was able to remove the lower ball joint, but getting it in was another story. I ended up just removing the whole A-arm and taking them to a shop to have the lowers pressed in, which wasn't that expensive at all.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

If I had it to do over again, Id probably just buy new a arms with ball joints and bushings already pressed in. The lower ball joint was tough as mentioned.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

I have access to serious tools and equipment.(aircraft facility) I just didn't want to start on Friday evening and still be wondering why on Monday morning why I didn't buy a pre assembled unit. I'm doing it myself and I'll update the experience. I'm sure it's not the most fun on a weekend but, gotta get moving on it.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to do the same thing this weekend. Ran into a snag with the struts. Can't find where to order the piece the strut mount meets into or what it is called. I bought BMR upper and lower a arms.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by miles99z28
I'm trying to do the same thing this weekend. Ran into a snag with the struts. Can't find where to order the piece the strut mount meets into or what it is called. I bought BMR upper and lower a arms.
I saw your other post about this....just sandblast and repaint the one you have. Unless it's really eaten up by rust, which yours doesn't appear to be, these parts really don't wear out.

Quick Reply: Those who have installed bushings/ball joints in stock A arms