Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

spring and shocks need upgrade. **updated pics 1st page

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default spring and shocks need upgrade. **updated pics 1st page

The car is a 98 trans am A4 100% stock. Which means the de carbons have 133k miles on them, and to say the least it feels like totals **** in the rear. I can literally feel every Crack and pebble on the road.

I figure since my shocks are shot I might as well upgrade to something that makes me feel safe when going over uneven road and switching lanes. It's not like I take sharp turns or switch lanes erratically, I feel as if my car has a swaying motion from left to right . 👎

Almost every search I found suggested either koni sa, koni sports, koni str.t and as far as spring everyone seems to say strano springs are the best. The problem with my search is people never come back and leave feedback.

What handles well and doesn't break the bank. I'm trying to keep it under $1000

UPDATE 1/15/155

Last edited by alexcoreas; 01-15-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the stance of the BMR springs.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I went with the Bilstein "B6" shocks front and rear keeping the stock springs, made a tremendous difference from the stock shocks.

I replaced my shocks @ 41k.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SteveC
I went with the Bilstein "B6" shocks front and rear keeping the stock springs, made a tremendous difference from the stock shocks.

I replaced my shocks @ 41k.
What else have you done to improve the handling. Will shocks by themselves improve my handling or are spring required as well?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
What else have you done to improve the handling. Will shocks by themselves improve my handling or are spring required as well?
Good shocks alone will make the single biggest improvement over anything suspension related handling wise. And by "good" I mean something of the caliber of Koni SA's or greater. I had Koni SA's on otherwise stock suspension and the car felt amazing (super solid and connected to the road, unflappable), and rode great (think German touring sports sedan, 3 series like).
Bilstiens are not bad by any means, but are more along the lines of a much better replacement stock shock, they will handle and ride much better than stock, but wont handle like a Koni SA would.
If you like the height of your stock springs then keep them, as they are great for ride quality and don't handle bad.
Whatever you do steer clear of drag shocks like Viking, Strange, QA1, Afco etc as while they claim to be "good handling" they won't compare to a proper gas charged sport shock in handling or ride.
Replace those bumpstops as well, search google for stock GM replacements.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest that you contact Sam Strano and he'll give you proper advice. One thing you need to determine is whether you want stock ride height or lowering. I recently installed Strano spring (Lowered the car about an inch and half) with Koni Str.t's. Also replaced front and rear sway bars, as the front actually broke. Went with UMI bars as they had a great sale at the time. Since you're doing the fronts, you'll likely need to replace the shock and strut mounts and the front lower spring perch bushing.

Alot of people on the site also like the BMR lowering springs.

I'm very happy with my choices for my daily driver camaro.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Thumbs up

Yes the shocks alone will help, I also have the following upgrades:

SLP sub frame connectors, BMR strut tower brace, tunnel brace, torque arm, lca's, panhard bar and front and rear solid anti sway bars.

When my shocks went bad, I still noticed the difference in handling even with the suspension upgrades.

I roll on 18x9.5 rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 285x35xZR18 all the way around.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Are these the koni SA ? How does lifetime warranty work for shocks?

If I do these I'll stay stock spring.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=20&CategoryID=21&ModelID=8
Old 12-20-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SteveC
Yes the shocks alone will help, I also have the following upgrades:

SLP sub frame connectors, BMR strut tower brace, tunnel brace, torque arm, lca's, panhard bar and front and rear solid anti sway bars.

When my shocks went bad, I still noticed the difference in handling even with the suspension upgrades.

I roll on 18x9.5 rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 285x35xZR18 all the way around.
Post a pic , I want to go 285 in the rear. I want to place my order and see what you guys are talking about. I've never driven a car with any type of suspension mods
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are these the koni SA ? How does lifetime warranty work for shocks?

If I do these I'll stay stock spring.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=21&ModelID=8
Those are them. Thats the set with the 4th gen rears, you can save a little money if you want and buy 3rd gen rear shocks but they take more time to adjust as you have to remove them from the car.
With the warranty you can either send a broken shock to koni first and when they receive it they will send you a new one, or you can buy the new one first, send the broken one off and then they will reimburse you when they get it.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Koni SA's cost a lot more so you have to decide if the adjustability is worth the price of admission to you. If not, Koni Str.t's would be a good choice if quick responsiveness is your priority, Bilsteins if a more comfy ride is.

If you're keeping the stock springs, Koni SA's have added benefit of a lower spring perch option, which with the heater hose mod in the rear gives a nice little drop to the stance.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Koni SA's cost a lot more so you have to decide if the adjustability is worth the price of admission to you. If not, Koni Str.t's would be a good choice if quick responsiveness is your priority, Bilsteins if a more comfy ride is.

If you're keeping the stock springs, Koni SA's have added benefit of a lower spring perch option, which with the heater hose mod in the rear gives a nice little drop to the stance.
I've never done shocks so I don't know if the koni SA are worth the cost. I just want something that will handle well and help me get out of a tough situation if say I have to avoid an accident, I take my son out in this car and on the weekend I'd like to feel comfortable speeding and doing highway pulls.

I just got this car so I figure shocks now, cam hopefully in April when I gather all the tools to tackle the project.

Aside from the koni sa being on car adjustable , how do they differ from the koni str.t?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Thumbs up

Post a pic , I want to go 285 in the rear. I want to place my order and see what you guys are talking about. I've never driven a car with any type of suspension mods
Attached is a picture of Sara (2001 Z28).

The rims have a +46mm offset.
Attached Thumbnails spring and shocks need upgrade. **updated pics 1st page-imgp0785.jpg   spring and shocks need upgrade. **updated pics 1st page-imgp0782.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Good shocks alone will make the single biggest improvement over anything suspension related handling wise. And by "good" I mean something of the caliber of Koni SA's or greater. I had Koni SA's on otherwise stock suspension and the car felt amazing (super solid and connected to the road, unflappable), and rode great (think German touring sports sedan, 3 series like).
Bilstiens are not bad by any means, but are more along the lines of a much better replacement stock shock, they will handle and ride much better than stock, but wont handle like a Koni SA would.
If you like the height of your stock springs then keep them, as they are great for ride quality and don't handle bad.
Whatever you do steer clear of drag shocks like Viking, Strange, QA1, Afco etc as while they claim to be "good handling" they won't compare to a proper gas charged sport shock in handling or ride.
Replace those bumpstops as well, search google for stock GM replacements.
The price of those shocks alone are keeping me away. I'm going to give sam a call and see if his koni str.t and springs are what I need for my everyday driving.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like the Bilstein or Koni STR.T shocks would both be very good options for you. Both of these shocks are affordable and are a substantial improvement over the factory shocks you currently have on the car. Out of these two options I personally like the Koni STR.T shocks a little better but either is a good choice and we have both in stock and ready to ship.

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
It sounds like the Bilstein or Koni STR.T shocks would both be very good options for you. Both of these shocks are affordable and are a substantial improvement over the factory shocks you currently have on the car. Out of these two options I personally like the Koni STR.T shocks a little better but either is a good choice and we have both in stock and ready to ship.

I tried looking for the koni str.t and couldn't find them. I'll give you guys a call tomorrow , hopefully I can place an order and replace these de carbons asap.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ordered a set of Koni str.t and 1.25" lowering springs, can't wait to get them installed. Thank you for answering my questions so early in the morning
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ordered a set of Koni str.t and 1.25" lowering springs, can't wait to get them installed. Thank you for answering my questions so early in the morning
I am glad we could get you all squared away, if there is anything else we can do for you just let us know.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I am glad we could get you all squared away, if there is anything else we can do for you just let us know.
You guys are awesome to deal with, thanks for answering all my stupid rookie questions and explaining how each part worked.

Ordered the koni str.t, springs, lca, lca relo, and adjustable panhard rod.

To do list for next month
sway bars and adjustable torque arm.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You guys are awesome to deal with, thanks for answering all my stupid rookie questions and explaining how each part worked.

Ordered the koni str.t, springs, lca, lca relo, and adjustable panhard rod.

To do list for next month
sway bars and adjustable torque arm.
That what we are for, we are always willing to help out in any way we can.

When you are ready for those other parts on your to do list set me know.

Quick Reply: spring and shocks need upgrade. **updated pics 1st page