Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what control arms and panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what control arms and panhard bar?

guys just looking to see what control arms and panhard bar I should put into my Camaro. Its got a 12 bolt moser rear, fully adjustable umi torque arm, with body mount and driveshaft loop but stock control arms and panhard bar. Want it too hook up. Do I need adjustable ones or just round tubular control arms and a tubular panhard bar??
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably don't need adjustable LCAs unless you're planning to stuff a really tall tire in the wheel well, although if you do have them then you could tweak the thrust angle if it is off at all (unlikely enough to be a problem but you never know). I also got LCA relocation brackets.

I would get an adjustable panhard so you can keep the rear centered if you lower the car or anything else.

Bushing style will depend on what you're planning on doing. I went Founders 3 piece poly to get a good happy medium of reduced deflection, proper articulation, and NVH.

Everything I bought was from Founders. Good stuff, and incredible pricing IMO.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Edit: ^^Haha, beat me to it^^
You need adj PHB only if you are lowered and need to adjust L to R.
Same for LCA if you need to center rear F to Back.
I run adj PHB and home made LCA. Hooks just fine.
Another words if you don't need to center either way you don't need adjustable.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

car is gunna see some track time, and some street time. Just want it to hook and go straight. Don't plan on stuffing a big tire, 28inch tall tops, might lower the car at one point an inch. So question is what style bushing should I get? Want it to ride pretty good also.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by camonlyss
car is gunna see some track time, and some street time. Just want it to hook and go straight. Don't plan on stuffing a big tire, 28inch tall tops, might lower the car at one point an inch. So question is what style bushing should I get? Want it to ride pretty good also.
I tried two diff brands of LCA and both were noisy and rough (ie. clapped out farm truck). I modded my stockers with 0 wheel hop, 1.5x 60's, and quiet as a mouse
Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We always try to suggest double adjustable LCA & PHB with heim joint's on both ends.. The key is we use a quality heim joint, reduces noise and has a longer life.. The problem with not purchasing adjustable suspension is eventually you will need it.. I've been doing this for 25 years and I don't know how many times I put non adjustable's in thinking I won't go far with this project and having to pay to change them later..
Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Whenever there is an aftermarket rear in the picture, I like to suggest an adjustable arms and panhard. This is to make up for variances in the mounting locations of the lca's on the aftermarket rear. Normally I will still recommend poly bushings up to around the 600whp mark to keep things quiet and smooth for street driving, and it will not sacrifice performance.

My next question is what do you have in the shock and spring department? That will make as big of a difference as tubular components
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Poly can (and does) bind a bit on street when the axle twists, which can lead to a less smooth ride depending on how you drive it. Personally I'd never use regular poly on the rear LCAs because of it. Others disagree.

Brand really makes little difference for how the LCA performs since in the end as the biggest factors will be the bushing style. If you had rod end LCAs from brand A and brand B, odds are both will have the same feel.

Rubber has the softest ride, moderate articulation, and the most deflection. Heim joints have the harshest ride, best articulation, and least deflection. Then there are a bunch of bushing styles in between there with various levels of comfort, articulation, and deflection. Rank the three main variables in the order of importance to you, then look at pricing and choose the bushing that best fits into that.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

I've got UMI on car adjustable with Roto-joint ends for both my panhard and LCA's. I'm lowered with a stock 10-bolt, but decided to spend the extra $30-$50 on adjustable for the peace of mind down the road if I need it. The roto-joints for the street are the way to go. Take a look at UMI's website and they explain the technology in detail. Great guys to work with.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

don't forget relocation brackets. very important for extra hook
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Whenever there is an aftermarket rear in the picture, I like to suggest an adjustable arms and panhard. This is to make up for variances in the mounting locations of the lca's on the aftermarket rear. Normally I will still recommend poly bushings up to around the 600whp mark to keep things quiet and smooth for street driving, and it will not sacrifice performance.

My next question is what do you have in the shock and spring department? That will make as big of a difference as tubular components
shocks and springs all stock for now. Slowly doing everything on the car. Want to do all the rear suspension first, then when I go with the tubular front end, I wanna get new longtubes, change a few things but that's next winters project as im concentrating on finishing off what was done and doing a few other things to the car.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a umi on car adjustable panhard bar im selling right now. its poly on both ends, red...pm me if youre interested
Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lowering spring and LCA relocation brackets can sometimes change the front to rear centering of the tires so I'd recommend LCA's that are at least adjustable on one end, like a poly/rod-end combo which will still allow enough articulation to avoid any snap-oversteer or rough ride because of bushing bind. For the PHB adjustable on one end is all you need poly bushing are fine.
IMO stick with lca's and phb's with the length adjustability at the ends of the tube, not further back or in the middle of the tube.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I run the adjustable UMI PHB and LCAs with the roto joints. Very quiet and articulate like spherical rod joints, i.e., no bind. Really the best of both worlds. I wouldn't even consider anything else because of that until other companies come out with a competitor to the roto joint.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 PM

Default Rear lower control arms

Hey guys I have a 2002 Trans Am with rear tubular control arms and the bushings are wasted. I dont know what brand they are honestly and last time I got under my car I didn't really check for a brand but my question is this, does every tubular control arm or aftermarket control arm have the same size bushing or do you have to buy the same brand bushing as the control arm!!! It would be nice if you can just replace the bushings with new ones and maybe save some $$$$$$$ please help
Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Osalas21
Hey guys I have a 2002 Trans Am with rear tubular control arms and the bushings are wasted. I dont know what brand they are honestly and last time I got under my car I didn't really check for a brand but my question is this, does every tubular control arm or aftermarket control arm have the same size bushing or do you have to buy the same brand bushing as the control arm!!! It would be nice if you can just replace the bushings with new ones and maybe save some $$$$$$$ please help

No, every company has their own sized bushings specific to their arms. If you can Identify whos arms they are, you can most likely contact them and get replacements very reasonably. We sell a replacement bushing kit for our arms for about $15 including new sleeves.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Imo, if you can't find any info on the LCA's to identify them then take some photo's and post them up.
I'd also measure the metal width between the 2 bushing halfs on one end, and the inside diameter of the hole they go in and post that up to.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Our bushings are molded with the appropriate part number. Pull the bushings and see if there is any part numbers on the inside of the bushing half.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Always buy adjustable. Every piece of non adjustable I've bought I've replaced. Buying things twice is no good.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the help 👍👍👍👍👍 I will get under my car this weekend and check them out!!

Quick Reply: what control arms and panhard bar?