Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes for a 9" housing swap in a 98-02 LS Camaro/TA

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brakes for a 9" housing swap in a 98-02 LS Camaro/TA

I know it's pretty common to swap from the weak differential that came in these cars. Normally to a 9" or 12 bolt.

Is the factory brakes a direct swap if you go with a 9" style differential? I'm assuming the aftermarket 9" housings have 10/12 bolt chevy flanges. But I'm not sure if the retaining clips that hold the axle in on 9" housings will work with the factory style brakes.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any late model f-body brakes will work with the aftermarket rears. The oem backing plate bolt pattern is retained and we have housing ends that are special designed to allow the bearings and brakes to work together properly.

There are no axle retaining clips used on any 9" or Dana 60 rear, and the 12 bolts are converted to 9" ends so there is no need for c-clips on that setup either.

Give us a call, we have the best deals and tech help on any aftermarket rearend available. We will work within your budget to get you the correct rearend for your needs and allow you to grow into the future with.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Any late model f-body brakes will work with the aftermarket rears. The oem backing plate bolt pattern is retained and we have housing ends that are special designed to allow the bearings and brakes to work together properly.

There are no axle retaining clips used on any 9" or Dana 60 rear, and the 12 bolts are converted to 9" ends so there is no need for c-clips on that setup either.

Give us a call, we have the best deals and tech help on any aftermarket rearend available. We will work within your budget to get you the correct rearend for your needs and allow you to grow into the future with.
I misspoke, I said retaing clip which sounds like I was referring to C-clips. I meant retaining plate that holds the axle in. After looking at instructions on your site, it appears that the GM emergency brake assembly along with backing plate spacer hold the axle/bearing in. That answered my question. I'll keep you guys in mind if I decide to purchase a complete house. Thanks for your time...

Quick Reply: Brakes for a 9" housing swap in a 98-02 LS Camaro/TA