Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve Suggestions

I have a similar thread in the road racing section and thought it would make for a good conversation here - Karl R.

We had a fun time last weekend playing with the Trans Am at Gingerman Raceway and after all the fun and frivolity, we were loading the car on the trailer like normal. It was a little slippery, and the car went about an inch too far to the passenger side, and rode up on the trailer fender. This caused the passenger side outer tie rod end to pull completely free from the adjusting sleeve, which is one of those billet steel jobs with the lock nuts at both ends. We didn't hit that hard--maybe 5 MPH.

The tie rod end (Moog) looked like it was in perfect condition. The sleeve looked like it still had threads, but the edges are now shiny. I managed to get it buttoned back together and on the trailer, but I'm not crazy enough to use this set up again--especially when my life might be riding in the balance (imagine a sleeve letting go at the big end your favorite straightaway).

Obviously, the performance sleeve has to have some level of tolerance built into to the threaded bore in order for it to go onto the tie rod ends. Some are better than others.
  • Is there a big difference in this tolerance between one brand's solid sleeve and another?
  • What makers are known for quality products?
  • Benefits or issues with going back to the stock style split-sleeve?
In my eyes, the clamping action of the split sleeve locks complete removes ANY space between the rod and sleeve threads and creates a much stronger connection.

Thoughts on this?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve Suggestions