Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

urgent 96 lt1 brake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default urgent 96 lt1 brake help needed

need some advice on brake issues and yes ive read post after post on this..heres therun down...
replaced my front calipers and relocated my tcs unit when my car was down for repairs so i had it towed to my school where i have access to a lift and tech 2 scanner...
after bleeding my brakes i had no peddle (sunk to floor) and i discovered the mc was leaking....now keep in mind all calipers were bleeding..
ordered a new duralast mc from azone...
bench bled ( now when i did this it came with bleededs that didnt thread into the bore but instead was a needle point type that just pushes into the fluid upening....when i bench bled the piston would not return all the way back and it didnt seem as if the rear port had very significant flow comming from it )

installed new mc rebled,,,,,not much again came from the rear bleeders (when i open the bleeders the flow is low and the peddle only drops halfway and is solid like a brick is under the peddle...

retried several methods of manual bleeding from many sources ( haynes.alldata.shopkey. actual 96 service manual) nothing at all changed ....i cycled the abs and tcs multiple times with nothing changing in the back brakes....even took it up to 50+ several times and slammed the brakes...norear brakes are working....

now my gut tells me this is an issue with the new mc since brakes bled good with the leaking mc but new one will not and that was the only variance in the equation

whats everyone opinion try rebleeding mc and system more ( maybe more air in the system) replace the new mc and try a diff...or something else wrong
Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just an update on the situation ...
I replaced the duralast mc with a Napa one with no change in it...it appears the combination valve is cutting off pressure to the rear brakes at this point.... I decided that since the stuff is under warrenty and I have a week where I can't work on the car I'm gonna go ahead and start at the beginning of the system and go from there...I have a new booster and vacuum pump to put in it ...a factory mc and just incase it's needed another and unit...I'm going to bleed the system as I go from one section to the next to make sure all the fluid is flowing correctly and if that all looks good I start the bleeding process again and hopefully get this figured out....
Pls if anyone has any input on what is going on pls chime in on this...btw I scanned for abs codes and there aren't any present and my brake light appears to be from the pressure valve

Quick Reply: urgent 96 lt1 brake help needed