Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lots of slop in rear control arm bushings and which founders arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of slop in rear control arm bushings and which founders arms

Hi all. 99 z28 m6, lowered 2 inches. I'm in process of swapping rear and noticed that the rear control arms have what looks like an extreme amount of play. While the bushings aren't rotted, they freely move around in the sleeves. This isn't normal right? I'm used to bushings being bonded to the sleeves.

My car sees mostly street and I love to corner, but I do plan on hitting the drag strip once a month.

I'm torn between the three piece poly arms, the poly/pivot arms or pivot/pivot arms. I'm not concerned about noise or harshness, I won't hear anything above the exhaust and stereo anyway. I'm leaning towards the three piece poly units, but are the pivot ones worth the upgrade?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

If by "pivot" you mean rod ends/heim joints, then yes, I would get those ON BOTH ENDS, IF you care at all about handling, since they do not bind at all, AND they will NOT hurt your launch/60' when drag racing either.

It may be for naught though (as far as helping the handling), if you get other drag racing only type suspension components which WILL hurt your handling (i.e.; drag race shocks, huge rear sway bar, deleted front sway bar, soft launch type springs, short torque arm, etc.).

You CANNOT have BOTH (a great launching/sixty footing suspension, AND a great handling/cornering/braking suspension).
Old 09-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks. The car already has large front and rear after market sway bars, so i may as well build it more for handing
Old 09-12-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 3 piece poly and really like them as they seem to be a good happy medium on NVH, deflection, and articulation. But if NVH isn't a concern then the rod ends would give you the least deflection and best articulation.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks all, I ordered the three piece units

Quick Reply: Lots of slop in rear control arm bushings and which founders arms