Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front lower control arms without rod ends? Do they exist? Gen 4 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front lower control arms without rod ends? Do they exist? Gen 4 camaro

I've been looking for aftermarket front lower control arms that don't rod ends. My car is street driven (2001 Camaro SS) and I don't want to do yearly maintenance of changing the bushings. Any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Either keep stock or sell the car. LoL. You do a poly/rod combo, but i personally would not. I did UMI uppers with poly & lowers i did rods. Noisy? A little. But if i wanted quite girly ride, i woulda bought a Mudstain. Get the rods, you wont regret it.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
I've been looking for aftermarket front lower control arms that don't rod ends. My car is street driven (2001 Camaro SS) and I don't want to do yearly maintenance of changing the bushings. Any suggestions?

Why aftermarket arms? Rubber bushed stock arms are going to the best riding and are usually the lightest. You could do UMI lower arms with roto-joints. Roto joints are pretty quiet.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above we have a few different options poly,delrin,roto-joint and rod end.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...=7_137_103_304

If you need any info just let us know.

Craig
Old 09-22-2015, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As Craig mentioned there are some streetable options and UMI offers them. I would recommend our P/N 2306. it uses poly and Roto-Joints. The Roto-Joint replaces where most companies uses a rod end. This area here is a vertical mount and needs pivot up and down, this this why a swivel joint is needed.

We also now include our new travel easy, bind free poly bushing ends. This bushing allows the force of the bolt to be tightened on the sleeve and not the bushing preventing up and down travel bind: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/im...2305ac_LRG.jpg

P/N 2306: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=543
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Do yourself a favor and use Heim joints. They are the least maintenance and longer lasting than any other choice. As long as you are purchasing from a company that uses a high quality heim joint.

We have hundreds of customers with heim/heim front control arms and have had zero complaints about issues.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Whether you have poly bushings or rod ends there is no real reason that you should have to do yearly maintenance. Our front lower a-arms have a poly bushing on the front mounting point and a rod end on the rear mounting point. The only maintenance you should have to do is a couple squirts of a quality synthetic grease through the zerk fittings on the front bushing every 3rd oil change or so.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

^^^^^x2
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Simply upgrade to poly bushings.

Why are you looking to upgrade front LCA?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Take caution in simply pressing in polyurethane bushings into the factory arm. The vertical bushing absolutely needs to have a rotational motion (Rubber, Rod-end, or Roto-Joint). Otherwise you could very easily break your control arm.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by imma_stocker

The big issue with throwing poly bushings in the factory lower a-arms is that when you install a poly bushings in the rear mounting points of the lower a-arm it binds up pretty badly as the arm moves up and down. This is why you see that all aftermarket lower a-arms use rod ends or roto-joints.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

How do the roto joints handle with vibrations? I don't want to worry about seeing some road imperfections and pray my teeth won't to jiggle out.

Last edited by Crimson; 09-23-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do the roto joints handle with vibrations? I don't want to worry about seeing some road imperfections and pray my teeth won't to jiggle out.
Roto-Joints are intended to provide rod end handling with some cushioning. Anytime we remove factory designed rubber components there is an increase in NVH (noise vibration and harshness). The problem in our aftermarket industry is one driver's tolerance for NVH may be different than another's - and it's hard to measure.

The UMI 2306 previously mentioned would be our "softest" street arm since it has poly in the straight portion and a Roto-Joint in the strut connector.

We have hundreds of daily drivers on the 2306 with no complaints. And they work awesome.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Whether you have poly bushings or rod ends there is no real reason that you should have to do yearly maintenance. Our front lower a-arms have a poly bushing on the front mounting point and a rod end on the rear mounting point. The only maintenance you should have to do is a couple squirts of a quality synthetic grease through the zerk fittings on the front bushing every 3rd oil change or so.
Don't the roto-joints need tightening too? Having to grease and adjust bushings sounds like more work to me...

Originally Posted by imma_stocker

As others have said, don't do that.

For a street driven car I'd say load up your stockers with new Moog parts.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Don't the roto-joints need tightening too? Having to grease and adjust bushings sounds like more work to me...

As others have said, don't do that.

We don't mess with the roto-joints at all but I am pretty sure that thet can be tightened up, loosened up, and rebuilt. Having to grease poly bushings with zerk fittings takes a couple minutes at the most so it really isn't as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. It really only has to be done every 3rd oil change or so which comes out to a couple minutes of maintenance every year on them.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The big issue with throwing poly bushings in the factory lower a-arms is that when you install a poly bushings in the rear mounting points of the lower a-arm it binds up pretty badly as the arm moves up and down. This is why you see that all aftermarket lower a-arms use rod ends or roto-joints.

And what happens when that binds is simple. The bushing breaks and that's far worse than a stock arm with a worn rubber bushing. Toe goes nuts, caster goes nuts. And what's worse, both become dynamic. They change as you drive down the road. It's not good and why I'm sure none of us recommend the poly bushing for that location in the stock lower arm.

Ahhh, it's nice when we all agree.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold

The adjustment of the Roto-Joint is designed as it wears, it takes a lot to wear it... so this isn't something you need to do often. Grease however prolongs life, you could grease them when you grease your ball joints and other items.

But correct, if you don't want any of the advantages of aftermarket items replacement rubber bushings would be a good option.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And what happens when that binds is simple. The bushing breaks and that's far worse than a stock arm with a worn rubber bushing. Toe goes nuts, caster goes nuts. And what's worse, both become dynamic. They change as you drive down the road. It's not good and why I'm sure none of us recommend the poly bushing for that location in the stock lower arm.

Ahhh, it's nice when we all agree.
It doesn't happen often so we better take this time to point it out for sure!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive been running a PA Racing lower arm for a couple of years, street driven, with zero issues.

Quick Reply: Front lower control arms without rod ends? Do they exist? Gen 4 camaro