Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bar link

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar link

Replacing rear sway bar links on my 2000 ws6. Noticed the links at summit had different sizes. Is there a particular size I need? Do each different sizes make a handling difference?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say "different sizes", I'll assume you mean different lengths. Generally, you try to keep the arms of the bar parallel to the ground. The length of the links helps to determine this. if there's any doubt, measure the length of your OE links and go from there.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Oh. Ok. Well I had to sawzall them out, so that pry won't work. Haha. Got a little frustrated with rust.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Sway bar link

If you get longer ones, you can cut them so that the sway bars are parallel to the pavement as said by leadfoot4 above (at car's normal ride height).
Old 01-11-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by buckeyebird
Oh. Ok. Well I had to sawzall them out, so that pry won't work. Haha. Got a little frustrated with rust.
I live in the "snow belt", so I can certainly understand that!! What I would do, then, is slide under the car, get the sway bar so the arms are as level as possible, then measure the distance between the "bushing cup" on the top of the bar, and the bushing cup on the frame of the car. Off the top of my head, that's probably around 4-5". This would be the appropriate length of the links.

You have to be careful if you go too long, because while you can cut the overall length of the bolt, you need the threaded portion of the bolt to pretty close to the accurate length.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Living where I do, the next time I change these out I am getting either 304, or 18-8 stainless bolts, washers and nuts from McMaster-Carr (their brick and mortar store is less than 1/2 hour from me).

Hopefully that will preclude me from ever having to cut them out again!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Living where I do, the next time I change these out I am getting either 304, or 18-8 stainless bolts, washers and nuts from McMaster-Carr (their brick and mortar store is less than 1/2 hour from me).

Hopefully that will preclude me from ever having to cut them out again!
Good Idea!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The critical size is the middle spacer. I just replaced the rears with ACDelco ones, spacer is 2.5". The previous ones were 2" but they were not stock - they hadn't been on that long and the bolts were bent! The stock ones on the front were 2.5", and the parts listing for the ACDelco ones shows the same part # for front and back.

Quick Reply: Sway bar link