Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor Scarred NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Scarred NEED HELP!!!

OK so i have a 1999 Trans AM M6 and its been making a grinding noise in the front left wheel whenever the steering wheel is turned even the slightest bit to the left. Also the brake pedal has to be pressed all the way to the floor after making any kind of a turn but its fine going if i press it again afterwards until obviously i have to make another turn and repeat the cycle. In a straight line it doesn't make any noise and brakes fine, however i do need to get a steering wheel alignment. And going in reverse is just a no go it starts vibrating and grinding baaaaaaaaad and i have to give it a decent amount of gas for it to move. Couple days later I took the front wheels off and the left rotor has a deep scar an inch completely around the diameter of the rotor im not sure what caused it and i also bled the brakes to see if that what help and it did nothing to help my cause guys i NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your sliding pins for your caliper, my guess is that one of those is not sliding like it should. I would take the whole caliper assembly out and check the pins over very well for rust, sticking, or anything out of the ordinary.

In a more odd case, your wheel bearing could be loose?? I highly doubt it but you've never seen everything until you've seen everything. Caliper piston being stuck? Still very unlikely though, visually check the wheel bearing bolts to see if they're tight and last resort would be the caliper piston. Vehicle alignment shouldn't affect braking at all, especially like what you're describing.

Just thought of this, if the caliper sliding pins aren't your problem, it's more than likely something caught in between the slits of your brake pads, which would cause the rotor scarring possibly.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Ok so when i looked at the pins they were sticking preety bad and the rubber boot on them were completely torn so ive ordered some more for both sides seeing as im going to have to replace both rotors anyhow, but as far as the wheel bearing bolts goes where are those at because i haven't the slightest idea
Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More than likely it won't be loose wheel bearing bolts, but they are on the back of the wheel bearing. There are 4 bolts that hold it in and they are by where the ABS sensor is plugged in at (You'll see wires going into your ABS plug and the 4 bolts are right around there.)

Don't forget to grease those pins with brake lube when you put new ones in! Also check for uneven pad wear with those stuck pins you had
Old 01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Teching In

will do man thanks for the advice ill be working on it tomorrow so ill let you know what happens
Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Alright so i got to work on it and there were three bolts missing off the bub assembly so thanks for the help man things couldve ended soo much worse then a scarred rotor but anyways i replaced those bolts and the rotors and now it drives like a dream again
Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ****, I guess you haven't seen everything till you've seen everything! Then you still haven't seen everything... I'm glad I could help you out and even more so that you got it figured out and nothing serious happened to anyone
Old 01-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Haha yea man no kidding and thanks again happy the old bird is back on the road again

Quick Reply: Rotor Scarred NEED HELP!!!