Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

27 inch tire enough to need adjustable LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 27 inch tire enough to need adjustable LCAs?

So my Z28 will never see the track but I bought some 305/45/18 Nitto 555Rs for my Z06 replicas and just measured them at right at 27 inches high. I've been reading that adjustable LCAs can be handy when fitting an extra tall tire- are these tall enough where I should consider an adjustable? If not, I'd be perfectly happy to save the money on non adjustables.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
So my Z28 will never see the track but I bought some 305/45/18 Nitto 555Rs for my Z06 replicas and just measured them at right at 27 inches high. I've been reading that adjustable LCAs can be handy when fitting an extra tall tire- are these tall enough where I should consider an adjustable? If not, I'd be perfectly happy to save the money on non adjustables.
27 is tallish, and a tighter fit, but can be done. Some hammering and a rolled fender lip will likely be needed.

This is my car with a 27" tall 315 on the rear with a 16" Corvette offset. I needed 3/8" spacers.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like the more I research the more questions I have. What are the benefits of LCA relocation brackets if my car is NOT lowered?

Also thanks for the info Rampant. I'm hoping I can get away with just banging the inner wheel well a little since I'm only trying to get away with 305s.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Relo brackets allow you to move the lca angle up or down. Never seen anyone move up. Majority of folks run in the bottom 2 slots with most in the very bottom. It's helps plant the rear tires for traction.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

on a 27" tire you will be good with non-adjustable arms. if you are still stock height, running relocation brackets will still benefit you. You can just run them in the upper hole. This will give you a more aggressive anti-squat angle than stock without altering wheelbase. Plus, if you lower it later, you will be able to drop the arms to the lower hole to maintain geometry

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Whisper
The subject of whether "adjustable" lower control arms are needed has been the topic of many battles here on Ls1.

No 2 cars are the same per say when it comes to tire sizes and whether you need "ADJ" control arms.

What I can tell you is that if you ever need adj. control arms because of a fitment issue you'll wish you would have spent a little extra money when you bought the non adj style.

It could come down to the old saying...."do it right the first time"

Craig

Quick Reply: 27 inch tire enough to need adjustable LCAs?