Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for bmr expert

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for bmr expert

Hello, need to know how much the weight of BMR F BODY K MEMBER with BMR upper and lower control arms versus Factory . Reason being I had the above BMR parts installed when I started my project 2 years ago. Recently I started using my camaro as a Daily driver and discovered how light the steering feels, very sensitive especially at speed. It has a proper wheel alignment, I have 275/40-17 tires on front.
I had a scary experience while driving through rain hitting puddle of water and nearly jerked the steering wheel out of my hands -scared the **** out of me! Lol
Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Teching In

sounds more like a tire tread issue hydroplaning...
Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91Camaro1LE
sounds more like a tire tread issue hydroplaning...
True- maybe, but the light steering has nothing to do with weather
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For all your aftermarket front suspension weight saving needs, and numbers. Courtesy of BMR themselves.

K-members, control arms and some common misconceptions

After replacing most of my front suspension, I still got that "light" steering at 60+mph, not sure why and both my a-arms are factory. It responded well to steering inputs and steering was tight as well, the steering just gets lighter at higher mph, light enough to where I use both hands when turning on the highway.

Driving through a puddle at higher speeds usually twitches the steering wheel on any vehicle though. It wouldn't hurt to check your tire tread to see if you have decent water pathways on your tread. Heck even if it's windy out I'm hanging on to the steering wheel with both hands! I don't know how bad it is for you though, maybe it's a lot worse than I'm perceiving it to be.

275s aren't the best for rain especially puddles. Nonetheless, if you have good tread left, they should easily be drivable
Old 02-04-2016, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an alignment issue to me... caster specifically. What are your alignment specs?

In reality for best high speed handling you want every once of caster you can get from the factory adjustment range.

Since you have BMR lower arms you may have already used up all of the adjustment at the factory location. So you may need to run in the heim joint on the BMR a-arm to free up more adjustment.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
For all your aftermarket front suspension weight saving needs, and numbers. Courtesy of BMR themselves.

K-members, control arms and some common misconceptions

After replacing most of my front suspension, I still got that "light" steering at 60+mph, not sure why and both my a-arms are factory. It responded well to steering inputs and steering was tight as well, the steering just gets lighter at higher mph, light enough to where I use both hands when turning on the highway.

Driving through a puddle at higher speeds usually twitches the steering wheel on any vehicle though. It wouldn't hurt to check your tire tread to see if you have decent water pathways on your tread. Heck even if it's windy out I'm hanging on to the steering wheel with both hands! I don't know how bad it is for you though, maybe it's a lot worse than I'm perceiving it to be.

275s aren't the best for rain especially puddles. Nonetheless, if you have good tread left, they should easily be drivable

Thank you sir, beat me to it. That is why I put that thread together, as I know this question comes up alot

As for the feeling you are getting, as stated above, it is common with a wide front tire. With that much contact patch, it tends to skim on top of the water rather than cut through it the way a narrower tire would. The water takes longer to channel through the treads, and the weight of the car is spread out over a wider surface area so the pounds per square inch being applied to the contacting tread is less, making it easier for the car to skate over the water

The dry "twitchiness" you describe is characteristic of lack of caster however. I would have the alignment checked by a reputable shop

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Thank you sir, beat me to it. That is why I put that thread together, as I know this question comes up alot

As for the feeling you are getting, as stated above, it is common with a wide front tire. With that much contact patch, it tends to skim on top of the water rather than cut through it the way a narrower tire would. The water takes longer to channel through the treads, and the weight of the car is spread out over a wider surface area so the pounds per square inch being applied to the contacting tread is less, making it easier for the car to skate over the water

The dry "twitchiness" you describe is characteristic of lack of caster however. I would have the alignment checked by a reputable shop
Thanks for all responses. What is the weight difference with my aforementioned parts?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double J
Thanks for all responses. What is the weight difference with my aforementioned parts?
With our K-member and A-arms you would be shedding over 30LBS.

I would think with most aftermarket manufactures you would be close to the same.

Craig
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Double J
About 35-40 lbs, assuming you still have the stock rack and shocks/springs

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Question for bmr expert