Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Relocating rear lca inward, Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Relocating rear lca inward, Fbody

High all, I got new wheels and my tires are rubbing the offset lca slightly. Can I move the front of the control arm to the inside of the mounts without strength problems? I have bmr subframe connectors that ad quite a bit of steel over the factory box. Do you think this would be ok in hard 60fting car, 1.2s.

Here's a pic, this is with the old rim as now the tires are touching the lca.
https://i.imgur.com/1QWpd6N.jpg
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your LCA box has nothing to do with the subframe so the "connectors" are not to worry about.

So your're wanting to move the LCA out of the box and between the actual subframe and the inboard side of the LCA mount?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From your picture, it looks like you could probably get away with sectioning the LCA mount and subframe perch and eliminate the long spacer. If you go tot the inside of the mount, it will put your arms at an angle, and put the mounting bolt in single shear which would be a serious strength issue. Unless you add material to the inside to re-box it. I would honestly take a cut off wheel and section that box inwards 1"-1 1/2" to clear and re-weld it and run a shorter bolt to eliminate the spacer

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Your LCA box has nothing to do with the subframe so the "connectors" are not to worry about.

So your're wanting to move the LCA out of the box and between the actual subframe and the inboard side of the LCA mount?
I meant the design of the end of them boxes in the the lca mount considerably. You can see the thin sheetmetal inside the thicker bmr box that's been welded together.

I was thinking of moving it to the other side of the mount on the thinner bushing side and making a solid spacer across the factory location and using a longer 1/2" bolt.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
From your picture, it looks like you could probably get away with sectioning the LCA mount and subframe perch and eliminate the long spacer. If you go tot the inside of the mount, it will put your arms at an angle, and put the mounting bolt in single shear which would be a serious strength issue. Unless you add material to the inside to re-box it. I would honestly take a cut off wheel and section that box inwards 1"-1 1/2" to clear and re-weld it and run a shorter bolt to eliminate the spacer
So your saying connect it to both the outside of the inner secondary frame and the inside of the stock lca box? Ok, was just trying to avoid that but not if it's unsafe, thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It will misalign the LCA compared to the rearend brackets, I do not suggest to do what you are thinking about.

I have moved the LCAs to the inboard side of the brackets on some of the fastest stock suspension f-body cars in the country(the inboard bracket now becomes the outboard), but you have to relocate the shocks to do this.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by droksformula
So your saying connect it to both the outside of the inner secondary frame and the inside of the stock lca box? Ok, was just trying to avoid that but not if it's unsafe, thanks!
Yes, you can, but you will have to make changes tot he rear mounting point of your LCA at the axle to prevent your LCA's from being at weird angle. Let me bust out the paint to illustrate my other idea about "sectioning" the mount. Hopefully this makes sense lol

Name:  droklcamount_zpsybeuo2by.png
Views: 578
Size:  440.6 KB

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Yes, you can, but you will have to make changes tot he rear mounting point of your LCA at the axle to prevent your LCA's from being at weird angle. Let me bust out the paint to illustrate my other idea about "sectioning" the mount. Hopefully this makes sense lol

The problem is now the tire is touching the lca since I've tucked the rims in, even with offset bushings, it's not the bracket it's the lca itself. So it's not good for the lca to be angled in slightly from front to back if I were to to move the front inward and box it into the other part of the frame rail on the left? Thanks for your guys insight!

Quick Reply: Relocating rear lca inward, Fbody