Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loud howling when braking, ONLY after car has been driving for awhile

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Loud howling when braking, ONLY after car has been driving for awhile

So this is a weird one. I am getting a loud howling sound from what seems like the passenger side rear of my 2000 Trans Am but it only happens when 1 I'm braking and 2 when the car has been running for some time. As in I have to have been driving for over 15/20 minutes. Never when the car is cold or gone for a short drive. The howl starts low and gets louder as I brake. The rear has been swapped for 3.90s but that was several years ago and I had no howling issues then. No noise ever when I'm just driving only when I brake. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for the day crew
Old 02-17-2016, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to even mention it but the only thing that comes to mind is a caliper is sticking and when it gets hot and you apply the brake it's somehow making a noise.

I'm basically at a loss for an answer....sorry

Craig
Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for the suggestion! Changing pads out this spring will give the caliper a look
Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What's your definition of howling? I don't think I've ever heard brakes howl. To me a howling is a wheel bearing but it's strange it doesn't do it till it's been driven.

When it is howling does it change tone any when you turn left or right, basically preloading each wheel bearing.

However it doesn't really make sense that it's a wheel bearing if it does it only when you are braking.

An easy way to check for a sticking caliper is get a cheap IR heat gun and after you drive it when it's been howling check the temp of the rotors and see if there is a big difference from side to side.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Literally a howl....starts low and as I brake it gets louder with pressure on the brakes! ONLY when the car is good and hot. If I drive 2 miles nothing. If I drive 2 hours it's probably howling. Only when braking never under any other circumstances
Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive the car so little anymore I keep forgetting to ask for help diagnosing. Might see 500 miles a year
Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ironically I'm having the same issue. It keeps eating my outboard driver side rear pad so I suspect there's an issue with a caliper sticking. My symptoms are most prevalent when the car is warm and I brake hard into a left hand turn.

Me and my mechanic have already pulled it apart to check for the parking brake adjustment and all looks to be good there. My next plan (when the weather clears up a bit around here) is to put some miles on the car and then check the temps with an IR temp gun as noted above.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Ironically I'm having the same issue. It keeps eating my outboard driver side rear pad so I suspect there's an issue with a caliper sticking. My symptoms are most prevalent when the car is warm and I brake hard into a left hand turn.

Me and my mechanic have already pulled it apart to check for the parking brake adjustment and all looks to be good there. My next plan (when the weather clears up a bit around here) is to put some miles on the car and then check the temps with an IR temp gun as noted above.
Check the slides. That normally causes the outside pad to wear.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to resolve this issue it was my rear axles. Both were shot.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to throw an update on here only because I am an avid user of the search function and there's nothing worse than problems not being resolved I still had a slight squeal after the axles and it ended up being the brake shoes in the rear basically they needed some lube quick diagnose by Paul at Collingdale performance both sides were metal on metal a little bit of lube and the squeal is gone. Hopefully this can help somebody in the future!

Quick Reply: Loud howling when braking, ONLY after car has been driving for awhile