Brake booster firewall flex - winter project - Page 3 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake booster firewall flex - winter project

Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #41
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
So I had a few minutes for an update on this project. I have not yet finished it, but I'm closer. This might help some other people doing this project as well.

first here is a picture of the template needed to locate the drill hole as Nemesis designed it. I laminated mine so it held shape better.

my first task was to cut it out.

then I bent the paper slightly on the two bend lines called out on the print.

Then I went to my car which has the whole front suspension removed at the moment (doing some painting and major upgrades). This template is designed to go on the inner fender well where the shock/upper control arm support bolts to. I placed the factory 4 bolts into their holes and then placed the template on to them. It holds itself up nicely.

at this point I am able to take a paint pen and mark where the drill hole is in the backside of the wheel well. I don't have anymore pics yet, as my phone died. I will hopefully have them in the next couple days for you guys.

Anyways, once you have the hole marked it is pretty easy to center punch it, drill a small pilot hole, and then drill the large hole. I will update this as soon as I can.

Perfect! Thanks for clearing this up!
02TransAm/Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #42
TECH Apprentice

Can anyone save or convert these .DXF files to .STP for me?
My machinist is unable to use the .DXF file.

Last edited by 95wannabe; 06-22-2017 at 03:23 AM.
95wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #43
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wannabe View Post
Can anyone save or convert these .DXF files to .STEP for me?
My machinist is unable to use the .DXF file.
I might be able to tonight. I have everything stored on the computers at the shop. I may be able to convert it for ya, but I will let you know either way.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #44
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile View Post
Perfect! Thanks for clearing this up!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #45
TECH Fanatic

I had some time today, so I finished up the install of this. After I was done, I removed it as I still have a bunch of other projects to do. But it was nice to be able to finish it 100% so that I know it's ready when the time comes. Anyways...

I had previously installed the template and marked where the hole needs to be using a paint pen. Today I drilled a small pilot hole in the center of that mark. At this point I bolted down the main bracket and slid the small bracket into place to ensure that my new hole was in the proper location. I discovered I needed to move it about .125" down and .125" more towards the inside. So, I drilled another hole and it was perfect. Keep in mind that the pilot hole was only like a 1/16" drill bit so when I drilled the 1/2" hole it left me with only one hole in the fender well. This picture shows the hole after I ran the 1/2" bit through my pilot hole. Right after this, it would be a good idea to paint the exposed metal to prevent rust. I don't have a pic of that, but I did that before I was done for the day.
Name:  20170621_144731_zpsxdu1tj5p.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  298.4 KB

At this point I grabbed a couple misc bolts and mounted the small L-shaped bracket to the wheel well and the main bracket. Everything lined up great.

Name:  20170621_144645_zpstbswspwk.jpg
Size:  360.5 KB

Name:  20170621_144625_zpsfo0gbfyz.jpg
Size:  281.2 KB

with the design of the two brackets having some slotted holes, it was easy to get everything lined up and in place. And after a quick test, the brake booster/master cylinder is very solid now. Thanks again go out to Nemesis for sharing his great design. I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #46
TECH Fanatic

Also, for the bolts needed, I would try to use zinc coated, chrome, or stainless to help fight off corrosion. I am going to grab some stainless button head bolts with washers and locking nuts for my final install. But I'm a few weeks from that point currently.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #47
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I might be able to tonight. I have everything stored on the computers at the shop. I may be able to convert it for ya, but I will let you know either way.
Yes, Let me know please. Nemesis is checking for me too. If I get them from him I'll let you know.
Thanks!
95wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #48
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wannabe View Post
Yes, Let me know please. Nemesis is checking for me too. If I get them from him I'll let you know.
Thanks!
tried tonight, my software doesn't like that idea all to well. Sorry I couldn't help ya
Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #49
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for interested people.
TTur1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #50
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis 2000AD View Post
Got over a year of miles on the brake booster / firewall stiffener. It works really well, it stops it from going forward as well as up. Another nice perk is the clutch pedal / shifts are much better as well now. It ties into the top and sides of the shock tower, two attachment points, and after a year, no stress risers or cracks.

The car is just a normal 2000 F body Trans Am set up for road and track and doubles as a Grand touring car. The cars got over 200 K on it; Last summer it hit 4 High speed autocross races (Midwest Council), tail of the dragon trip, Hwy 16a (Iron Mountain road - favorite), and touring laps around National Corvette track while on vacation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0A9auOXdc ; just normal enjoyment of a F body

Here's the drawing if anyone wants to make their own, I don't have time to sell them and would rather just share them. If anyone actually wants more details just let me know.

I can also send DXF files to anyone with a plasma or laser table to cut their own, very easy to make and bend - plus it hidden and no own sees it.
Thank you for this piece. I finally got it scaled correctly in a photo editing program and printed it. I'll be doing the old school method of cardboard template-transferred to some stainless, then cut out with a jig saw. This will be perfect for me since I want to run the Hotchkis bar and Strano's part, unfortunately will not work with that bar...
flyboy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #51
On The Tree

Finished last night at work and installed today.

Big shout out to The Batman for offering some made up plates should I fail in my endeavor to make one myself. If anyone needs one and doesn't have access to equipment to make one, I highly recommend messaging him.

I scored a scrap piece of 3mm thick-304 stainless at work. I took my time, using rudimentary tools at home (drill, jigsaw) and some decent pieces at work (metal brake, hydraulic press, metal finishing stuff) and am happy with the results. All in, I have about 5 hours of manual labor in this part.

For those attempting this, the torx-50 bolt closest to the fender is a bitch. I fought about 5 minutes trying to reinstall it in 90* and high Tennessee humidity. To save yourself the aggravation, pick up a M10x1.5 grade 8.8 or 10.9 bolt. The original length is 25mm. Since the plate is 3mm thick, plus I put a washer under the head of the bolt, I moved up to 30mm length. I got zinc coated fwiw.

I do not have the extra angled bracket installed, but there is very little movement in the booster/master assembly when I tested the setup with no power assist. I'm happy with the result.

Pics of the install!
Attached Thumbnails
Brake booster firewall flex - winter project-0722171149.jpg   Brake booster firewall flex - winter project-0722171150.jpg  
flyboy129 is offline   Reply With Quote