Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Info on shocks/springs, car hits bump stop?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on shocks/springs, car hits bump stop?

My '02 Camaro SS needs the rear springs replaced...I think. I was looking at the AC Delco brand. Thing is, there are no specs anywhere on them. Even when I contacted AC Delco, they couldn't tell me! Didn't have any info. Amazing. I'm assuming they are an exact match to the factory spring rates. Just would be nice to know. Anybody use these or have any info? Not looking to lower it. Stock springs.

*Car slams the right rear over bumps or dips in the road. Also has the annoying lean to that side. 3/4 inch lower on right side. Shorter springs mounts installed. Also has new Koni Str.t shocks, poly sway bar links and bushings. Lean still there, still slams that side.

Last edited by CGT77; 03-12-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are your bump stops in good condition still?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Are your bump stops in good condition still?
Yes, they are.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got ambitious tonight and swapped the rear springs side to side. No difference. Sits 1/2" lower on passenger side. Also feels the same over bumps. So, pretty sure new springs won't help.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Launching!

That shock blown? Easy enough to unhook them, and feel the resistance on each. If it's shot, you'll feel it right away.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No info on the springs.

But my car leaned like a bitch, drivers side an inch higher front and back. Didn't matter if I changed springs etc.

Coilovers fixed the front, and I cut half a coil off the drivers side rear and it's dead even now. Absolutely drove me nuts.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also wanted to use stock springs and am not a fan of lowering. However, I found so many variations for stock springs and seeing how one corner of my car sits higher than the others, I decided to get aftermarket springs. I picked one that will drop it the lowest amount as I did not mind losing a little bit of ride height and get some increased handling to boot. I am in the process of installing my new parts (and it will take me a while) but I am hoping to get a refreshed suspension. My suspension project started for the same reason yours is. I drove over a slight dip and felt my back end bottom out when it never did before so I decided to change the shocks...then the project took off from there.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
That shock blown? Easy enough to unhook them, and feel the resistance on each. If it's shot, you'll feel it right away.
Man, I didn't think it was possible...but I checked this morning and it sure is! A Koni shock with 6000 miles on it. Shot. I took it off the car, pushed it in and it did not retract. Amazing. The drivers side comes out REAL slow about halfway and stops. So, anybody looking to buy those, they are junk. Waited forever for them too. Backorder.

Far right, pass rear. Second from right, drivers rear. Got the old stockers out until I get this resolved.

Last edited by CGT77; 03-12-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
I also wanted to use stock springs and am not a fan of lowering. However, I found so many variations for stock springs and seeing how one corner of my car sits higher than the others, I decided to get aftermarket springs. I picked one that will drop it the lowest amount as I did not mind losing a little bit of ride height and get some increased handling to boot. I am in the process of installing my new parts (and it will take me a while) but I am hoping to get a refreshed suspension. My suspension project started for the same reason yours is. I drove over a slight dip and felt my back end bottom out when it never did before so I decided to change the shocks...then the project took off from there.
Nice. What brands did you go with?
Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SteenH
No info on the springs.

But my car leaned like a bitch, drivers side an inch higher front and back. Didn't matter if I changed springs etc.

Coilovers fixed the front, and I cut half a coil off the drivers side rear and it's dead even now. Absolutely drove me nuts.
I hate the Chevy gangster lean...
Old 03-12-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGT77
Man, I didn't think it was possible...but I checked this morning and it sure is! A Koni shock with 6000 miles on it. Shot. I took it off the car, pushed it in and it did not retract. Amazing. The drivers side comes out REAL slow about halfway and stops. So, anybody looking to buy those, they are junk. Waited forever for them too. Backorder.

Far right, pass rear. Second from right, drivers rear. Got the old stockers out until I get this resolved.
I had Koni Str.t front shocks that one of them did not retract right from when I opened up the box. Called Koni and they said that it doesn't affect the valving at all, that as long as the resistance to push it down and pull it out is still there, it's perfectly fine. It's still a possibility that it could be blown, but there's a few of us who had one Str.t shock uncompress on its own and the other didn't
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I had Koni Str.t front shocks that one of them did not retract right from when I opened up the box. Called Koni and they said that it doesn't affect the valving at all, that as long as the resistance to push it down and pull it out is still there, it's perfectly fine. It's still a possibility that it could be blown, but there's a few of us who had one Str.t shock uncompress on its own and the other didn't
That's not good...I figure I will get the run around when I contact Koni.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought brand new koni str.t shocks not yet installed. They all compress and retract at different rates. One is real slow and if you bottom out it seems to stay there.

Last edited by 30thanniv; 03-12-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I just bought brand new koni str.t shocks not yet installed. They all compress and retract at different rates. One is real slow.
Yeah, the one retracts REAL slow, then stops halfway. The other just stays in. I hope you have better luck with yours!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CGT77
Nice. What brands did you go with?
Well...for the shocks I got those Konis and I also can push in on one of the shocks. I have heard this happens. I guess we will see what happens. For the springs I went with Strano springs. I think BMR and others will drop them more than I want so that was one reason I chose the Stranos. The bushings, etc are of course Moog brand.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Well, the stock shocks are back on. No more slamming on the bump stops. Now, the hassle of trying to get these Koni's replaced or refunded. Thanks 1999nbmZ. Would of never guessed it.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Glad to help! From what I've heard those are excellent shocks, I wouldn't be put off just because you received one bad shock. Just get that swapped for a good one, and get them back in. Don't forget, they manufacture THOUSANDS of shocks. A couple bad ones are eventually going to slip through.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I think you'd find few who think the STR.T's are worse than OEM shocks. Sounds like you got a back one, or broke it somehow. Like lack of rear bumpstops which many cars are missing. But maybe it was bad from the get go. Koni has a lifetime warranty and is pretty good about dealing with claims, at least in my experience.

Now let's address the other thing which I think needs to be said. You stated and this is a quote:

"A Koni shock with 6000 miles on it. Shot. I took it off the car, pushed it in and it did not retract. Amazing. The drivers side comes out REAL slow about halfway and stops. So, anybody looking to buy those, they are junk. Waited forever for them too. Backorder."

First it's not 100% a Koni. They are not made in Holland, they are not made on the same line or anything as the Sports which is the premium shock. In fact here's how this works. Koni spec'ed the valving. Koni does the warranty, and the importation. They do not actually build them. In fact you can see on the shock they are built in Argentina (which is not the end of the world lots of things are even OEM GM parts like the head gaskets for my LS7).

These shocks are NOT meant to be an equivalent to Sports or some such thing. They are meant to do what the majority of folks buying them at that price point want, which is do the job well enough. Now, they shouldn't have failed, but I'm sure they will be covered which is the remedy. It seems you are kind of bitter than the sub 400 set of shocks had a problem, which I get. But really it's one shock or so it seems. And you've not even contacted Koni to discuss but seem to already be bent out of shape.

Call them. 800-922-2616.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think you'd find few who think the STR.T's are worse than OEM shocks. Sounds like you got a back one, or broke it somehow. Like lack of rear bumpstops which many cars are missing. But maybe it was bad from the get go. Koni has a lifetime warranty and is pretty good about dealing with claims, at least in my experience.

Now let's address the other thing which I think needs to be said. You stated and this is a quote:

"A Koni shock with 6000 miles on it. Shot. I took it off the car, pushed it in and it did not retract. Amazing. The drivers side comes out REAL slow about halfway and stops. So, anybody looking to buy those, they are junk. Waited forever for them too. Backorder."

First it's not 100% a Koni. They are not made in Holland, they are not made on the same line or anything as the Sports which is the premium shock. In fact here's how this works. Koni spec'ed the valving. Koni does the warranty, and the importation. They do not actually build them. In fact you can see on the shock they are built in Argentina (which is not the end of the world lots of things are even OEM GM parts like the head gaskets for my LS7).

These shocks are NOT meant to be an equivalent to Sports or some such thing. They are meant to do what the majority of folks buying them at that price point want, which is do the job well enough. Now, they shouldn't have failed, but I'm sure they will be covered which is the remedy. It seems you are kind of bitter than the sub 400 set of shocks had a problem, which I get. But really it's one shock or so it seems. And you've not even contacted Koni to discuss but seem to already be bent out of shape.

Call them. 800-922-2616.
Man, you crack me up. I'm not all "bent out of shape". I'm disappointed. When you spend good, hard earned money on something, you would hope it would last more than 6,000 miles. And I'm not the only one who has had issues from what I've found. There's quite a few out there. I understand parts fail. It happens. I was in the car business for 15+ years...seen it all the time. If I would have known that this shock is not a "real" Koni, I wouldn't of purchased it. But you and all the other retailers push them as a great alternative to the sports. Sorry I can't afford a Koni Sport, nor do I want or think I need an adjustable shock on a stock suspension. I was just looking for a nicer ride. People say how bad the stock shocks are on these cars, so why not? Also, my bumpstops are there, intact and in good shape.

I called Koni, pointless. Told them my situation, they told me to go online and fill out the warranty request form and fax it in. I already knew that. That's done and faxed. So, we'll see what happens from here.

Last edited by CGT77; 03-20-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Info on shocks/springs, car hits bump stop?