Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs, sway bars, and Koni sports installed :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Talking Strano springs, sway bars, and Koni sports installed :)

This past weekend I installed:

Strano springs, Sway bars, Koni shocks. I also replaced the ball joints, upper shock mount, and all 4 springs sets. I didn't have enough time to do the bushings though. I don't think I am going to do that myself... Ball joints were a

I have the shock set to 3 sweeps from full soft front and 1/2 turn from full soft in the rear.

I previously had the bilstein eibach pro kit and never really liked it. Was always a really harsh ride. With the new Strano/Koni setup it rides way better. It feels like I actually have shock absorbers now I really like that I can adjust them now. It feels much better around corners too. Much smoother and more responsive. Brakes smoother too... Wasn't expecting that.

The one thing that seems weird to me is the front driver is a 1/4 inch lower than the other side of the car. The rear is perfectly level. I measured and compared the springs before installing and the fronts were the same height. I don't remember if it was likely that before. Is there a better place to measure? I have removed the driver fender before. Should I be worried about that?

All the Goodies

Last edited by matt1289; 03-14-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear about how happy you are from upgrading bilstein/eibach to strano and koni I have the bilstein/eibach setup right now and have been wanting to switch soon myself. I know the feeling with the ball joints....

I can't imagine the fender being lower without not fitting with the rest of the car, does it look lower if you look at the car from the front? maybe measure ground clearance from either side?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed my koni/strano's a few weeks ago

Mine measure lower on passenger side than driver side (from fenders to ground):

LF 26.75
LR 27
RF 26.5
RR 26.75

No worries to be had about different ride heights
Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah ok cool thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't jack something up lol. I installed the rear sway bar on upside down the first time... Working on cars while tired is a bad idea.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey Matt, thank you for a really nice concise write up (with some good pics too). I really like it when folks can compare and contrast setups, especially a common easy button one like you had before.

I think the car looks great too. I'm getting a hankering for another of my own and a WS6 is leading the way.

Keep me posted on your thoughts, maybe as you play with shocks and things. And thank you for taking the time to review!

Sam

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I got an alignment today. Nothing special just a standard alignment. I was told my Rear axle was "twisted" and that it could affect my steering slightly. Front alignment is good.

I can tell that the rear end is off center but I can't tell if it is "twisted". Any idea what I need to do to fix it? How much of an issue is it really?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Define "twisted"?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm sure it's got some thrust angle (very common). You can fix that with adjustable LCA's. Basically the axle is turned a touch in the car. The RR may have a touch of toe out, the LR a touch of toe in, that is thrust angle.

As for the left to right, that's the PHB, but an alignment machine can't measure it and as you drive that is always changing due to the way a PHB (ANY PHB) attaches to a fixed point above the ground, the axle.... but the other end moves up and down, the body. That creates an arc that the body follows. That is what a Watts link gets rid of.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah that makes sense. Do I need to worry about anything getting damaged besides maybe some odd tire wear for the short term? I assume it's been like this for quite some time.

Meaning I could drive it daily for a few weeks or months until my budget recovers a bit lol. I was planning to do a adjustable pan hard bar and LCA's at some point this year.

I want to get it on a track at least a few times this year. Although it seems it's quite pricey to do so.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not abnormal. Could be within spec. I can't know for sure, but have no reason to assume it's not within spec.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1289
This past weekend I installed:

Strano springs, Sway bars, Koni shocks. I also replaced the ball joints, upper shock mount, and all 4 springs sets. I didn't have enough time to do the bushings though. I don't think I am going to do that myself... Ball joints were a

I have the shock set to 3 sweeps from full soft front and 1/2 turn from full soft in the rear.

I previously had the bilstein eibach pro kit and never really liked it. Was always a really harsh ride. With the new Strano/Koni setup it rides way better. It feels like I actually have shock absorbers now I really like that I can adjust them now. It feels much better around corners too. Much smoother and more responsive. Brakes smoother too... Wasn't expecting that.

The one thing that seems weird to me is the front driver is a 1/4 inch lower than the other side of the car. The rear is perfectly level. I measured and compared the springs before installing and the fronts were the same height. I don't remember if it was likely that before. Is there a better place to measure? I have removed the driver fender before. Should I be worried about that?

All the Goodies

what kind of spring seats did you use? and how do you adjust the struts?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Did you keep the thick pucks that were on top of the rear springs in there or did you do the heater hose mod and remove them?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1289
Ah that makes sense. Do I need to worry about anything getting damaged besides maybe some odd tire wear for the short term? I assume it's been like this for quite some time.

Meaning I could drive it daily for a few weeks or months until my budget recovers a bit lol. I was planning to do a adjustable pan hard bar and LCA's at some point this year.

I want to get it on a track at least a few times this year. Although it seems it's quite pricey to do so.
I drove my car for almost a month with the stock panhard after my Koni/Strano install. Tracks sideways and looks funny but it's drivable, just don't go crazy with it

When you do get your adjustable LCA's and panhard, remember to center everything up while the suspension is loaded. Took me a while to figure this out after everything was squared up on the lift but crooked on the ground
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by clg82
Did you keep the thick pucks that were on top of the rear springs in there or did you do the heater hose mod and remove them?

I left the rear spring isolators in. I'm not a fan of the heater hose mod.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I drove my car for almost a month with the stock panhard after my Koni/Strano install. Tracks sideways and looks funny but it's drivable, just don't go crazy with it

When you do get your adjustable LCA's and panhard, remember to center everything up while the suspension is loaded. Took me a while to figure this out after everything was squared up on the lift but crooked on the ground
My car seems to drive ok right now. It doesn't ever seem noticeable to me right now at all. I may just be used to it though.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Launching!

where does the washer that came with struts go? Does it go under the strut top?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vlad1995
where does the washer that came with struts go? Does it go under the strut top?
Lol I feel like I'm walking you through the whole process, but the install is decently fresh in my mind so I'm glad to help out all I can. The washer goes right below the shock mount.

Here's my thread, You'll see where the washer goes, there's a picture of it with me pointing to it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ni-strano.html
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

How important is that washer....
Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Lol I feel like I'm walking you through the whole process, but the install is decently fresh in my mind so I'm glad to help out all I can. The washer goes right below the shock mount.

Here's my thread, You'll see where the washer goes, there's a picture of it with me pointing to it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ni-strano.html
Haha you pretty much are. My first time doing shocks. Thank you very much!!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
My car drives just fine

Quick Reply: Strano springs, sway bars, and Koni sports installed :)