Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

10 years later... I finally lowered it.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grind back the bump stop mount and pound the inner fender area. It looks like he's probably only running a 335 tire so the bump stop mount could probably rest inside the rim
Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Earx95LT1
No just tubular with Polyurethane bushings LCA's

Please do tell how you fit those.....
My fenders are rolled, Jeep bumpstops, tubular lca's, some grinding and a BFH. Finished it off with some black undercoat spray.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does it ride ?

I'm looking into the same setup myself, but i'm a bit concerned about the stagg shocks, and also how low it really gets, have you done any measurements from the road to the weel openings ?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested also in the ride height as well as the ride quality. I recently went with the STR.T/Strano combo and am regretting using the Strano springs. My first instinct was to go with the Vogtlands, so I'm curious how you like them with some miles on it now.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eirik Heggli
I'm looking into the same setup myself, but i'm a bit concerned about the stagg shocks, and also how low it really gets, have you done any measurements from the road to the weel openings ?
Not sure what the Stagg ones cost, but you might consider the Koni STR.T if on a budget
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Not sure what the Stagg ones cost, but you might consider the Koni STR.T if on a budget
Koni str,t of course should be a better option, but then again, the stagg shocks are really really cheap, so it would be interesting to hear how they would perform, at least compared to 21 year old stock decarbons. I'm at 26.77 inches front and 27.17 inches at the rear ( hose mod) so would like to hear where the Vogtlands end up. ( Voghtlan comes with TÛV )
Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Koni str,t of course should be a better option, but then again, the stagg shocks are really really cheap, so it would be interesting to hear how they would perform, at least compared to 21 year old stock decarbons. I'm at 26.77 inches front and 27.17 inches at the rear ( hose mod) so would like to hear where the Vogtlands end up. ( Voghtlan comes with TÛV )
What do these Stagg's cost? You can get get the STR.T for like $320 on any given day, and I've seen as low as around $250 when on sale. And for that price you are getting a very high quality setup. Not familiar with the Stagg's, but my concern would be how well they'd perform especially after a couple seasons on lowering springs. Your front and rear drop sounds about perfect to me....not to high or to low, and with a small rake. Mine is roughly 26.75" all around, but I may actually add a very small amount of heater hose to add a 1/4" or so for a tiny bit of rake

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 09-04-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Looking at ebay, I can get a set of 4 lowering springs by Vogtland and 4 Stagg SHS shocks for 317 dollars.. sure everyone says get Stanos or BMR with yellow Koni, but paying over 700 dollars shipping plus 25% taxes + the springs and the shocks, also with 25% tax for a lowering almost identical to what I have today is not really an option, and also, need the TÛV papers ...
Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha! I have to be honest though, I wouldn't trust those Stagg's over the long term. And for the small amount more for something like the STR.T you'd have a MUCH better shock that would handle those loweing springs for a long long time...probably the life of the car lol. Just a thought
Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Gotcha! I have to be honest though, I wouldn't trust those Stagg's over the long term. And for the small amount more for something like the STR.T you'd have a MUCH better shock that would handle those loweing springs for a long long time...probably the life of the car lol. Just a thought
I totally agree, and I would probably end up with Koni or SLP bilsteins anyhow, but before I decide to do anything with the suspension I need to know just how much it will lower the car compared to what I have now, Hope the tread starter also chimes in to let us know. Roads suck over here, so if I idealy would end up at 26 and 26.25 that would be it the car is never going to se a track, just a GT cruiser for long distance driving.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I totally agree, and I would probably end up with Koni or SLP bilsteins anyhow, but before I decide to do anything with the suspension I need to know just how much it will lower the car compared to what I have now, Hope the tread starter also chimes in to let us know. Roads suck over here, so if I idealy would end up at 26 and 26.25 that would be it the car is never going to se a track, just a GT cruiser for long distance driving.
I understand. Hopefully the OP can help you here
Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveC
The only way you can effectively set the pinion angle is with an adjustable torque arm.
Here is an article which explains why this is important to set once the geometry of the vehicle has changed (i.e. lowered):

http://www.quickperformance.com/Pini...ent_ep_45.html

Hope this helps you out in some way.

also know when you change the ride height on the car having oem non-adjustable suspension that when the car lowers the rear end will move right horizontally because of the fixed length panhard bar. so not only will your pinion angle [u-joint phase angle] be off in the vertical sense which is all anyone ever measures... it will also be off in the horizontal sense.
raise the rear end off the ground and watch as the rear axle drops it also will move left thanks to the fixed length panhard bar that's connected to the axle on the right side and to the body on the left side.
when i replaced my rear axle and got the new drive shaft which was 42.5" u-joint to u-joint, if the rear axle is off center horizontally just 0.75" then tan-1(.75/42.5) = 1°. you want this phase angle, or difference in operating angles, between the front/rear ujoints to be less than 1° otherwise the faster the drive shaft spins the more vibration there will be.
centering the rear end is not done by eyeing it up so it looks good under the body, centered is so there is no horizontal angle difference between the front & rear ujoint, such that there's a straight line from the center of the crank pulley on the engine thru the transmission and down the drive shaft to the connection at the rear axle.

correction: the panhard bar connects to the body on the right (passenger) side and to the axle on the left (driver's) side. so when the axle drops it will move right.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 09-11-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^ This is exactly right. I went through this process on my buddy's car when he lowered it, and it was just as described as above. He owns his own shop so we were able to observe the rightward tilt on the ground and the pivot to the left on a lift. An adjustable PHB allowed him to recenter the rear end to keep the driveline angle straight.

My car only has the HH mod with stock springs. Much more than that, you'll want to insure that your driveline is centered.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
also know when you change the ride height on the car having oem non-adjustable suspension that when the car lowers the rear end will move right horizontally because of the fixed length panhard bar. so not only will your pinion angle [u-joint phase angle] be off in the vertical sense which is all anyone ever measures... it will also be off in the horizontal sense.
raise the rear end off the ground and watch as the rear axle drops it also will move left thanks to the fixed length panhard bar that's connected to the axle on the right side and to the body on the left side.
when i replaced my rear axle and got the new drive shaft which was 42.5" u-joint to u-joint, if the rear axle is off center horizontally just 0.75" then tan-1(.75/42.5) = 1°. you want this phase angle, or difference in operating angles, between the front/rear ujoints to be less than 1° otherwise the faster the drive shaft spins the more vibration there will be.
centering the rear end is not done by eyeing it up so it looks good under the body, centered is so there is no horizontal angle difference between the front & rear ujoint, such that there's a straight line from the center of the crank pulley on the engine thru the transmission and down the drive shaft to the connection at the rear axle.

correction: the panhard bar connects to the body on the right (passenger) side and to the axle on the left (driver's) side. so when the axle drops it will move right.
Must be why my passenger side tire is rubbing on the fender...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I apologize about the huge delay, I haven't done measurements. But I've put on over 5000 km and I only drive it in the summer. The stagg shocks/struts are stiff that's for sure but not Overly uncomfortable. I prefer a stiffer ride. I had to roll rear fenders slightly and also installed UMI rear lower control arms and relocation brackets as well as on car adjustable panhard bar. No issues just don't cheap out on strut mounts. My mistake
Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Earx95LT1

Hey I apologize about the huge delay, I haven't done measurements. But I've put on over 5000 km and I only drive it in the summer. The stagg shocks/struts are stiff that's for sure but not Overly uncomfortable. I prefer a stiffer ride. I had to roll rear fenders slightly and also installed UMI rear lower control arms and relocation brackets as well as on car adjustable panhard bar. No issues just don't cheap out on strut mounts. My mistake
correction: measurements from the ground up
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Nice Just love the stance on your car. I ended up getting Koni STR.T shocks, as I got one hell of a deal on shipping from amazon ( to norway). the difference in shipping cost made the difference between the stagg and the konis very small. I did install the rear springs before I put the car on winter storage, and on stock shocks I can tell i'm going to like the Vogtlands, The higher springrate in the rear suits me perfectly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 years later... I finally lowered it.