Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrading 99 T/A brakes to C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading 99 T/A brakes to C5

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...onversion-kit/

looking to upgrade brakes, calipers, rotors and all lines.

Not going to race or anything and this is a project with my 7 & 9 year old girls. Anyway looking at this setup seems to be a reasonable value. Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are not racing why are you going to this extreme to upgrade the brakes to never use them near their potential?
If its a street car there is no reason at all to need a big brake kit, good blank rotors and good pads are plenty (much cheaper too) and will have the car stopping really well.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really wanted an upgrade over stock and though not "cheap" was a reasonable value as the kit together.
Long tern my 7 & 9 year old girls will drive this too and something I am working on with them. Together they selected a set of c5 rims rims last year and I put a full upgraded suspension under it. This year its mainly brakes and see what else from there.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You asked for thoughts and suggestions and I have to agree with JD AMG on this. The LS1 stock brakes are great at stopping and will do anything you want to do with them on the street and even AutoX. I raced with mine on AutoX and I never even experienced brake fade. Even racing on a small road coarse they performed great but got scorching hot, mind you this was basically 100% gas then smashing the brakes before the corner and repeat for several circuits. The only reason to upgrade would be if you're doing road racing or something that requires repeated heavy breaking over a long period of time without letting the brakes cool. Anyways your money is better spent elsewhere. If you want to spend $650 pickup a watts link
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The benefit to the C6 calipers are they flex less during road racing, but they also have smaller caliper pistons which means you need to run a more aggressive pad to compensate for your brake balance. You might find a wider variety of pad compounds for the D731 design, though.

The larger diameter rotor will give you a bit more leverage and make a larger heat sink, but not needed unless you're regularly braking from high speeds such as on a road course. The directional vanes in the C5/C6 rotors will help with cooling in the aforementioned scenarios as well.

I'm with the other guys... stick with good street pads up front, knowing that if you go too aggressive in the rear it will lock the rear tires before the fronts. If it hasn't been done in a few years, buy a caliper rebuild kit for both axles, new pads & rotors, maybe some Goodridge brake lines and good brake fluid.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Duszak
Really wanted an upgrade over stock and though not "cheap" was a reasonable value as the kit together.
Long tern my 7 & 9 year old girls will drive this too and something I am working on with them. Together they selected a set of c5 rims rims last year and I put a full upgraded suspension under it. This year its mainly brakes and see what else from there.
Kinda like saying you will never race the car but want a turbo setup for 600hp. You will not see the real benifit from the setup.
Good blank rotors and something like hawk hps pads and you will be really surprised how well the car stops.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Technically the fbody had a shorter stopping distance than a C5 vette. So the C5 brake conversion is kind of an irrelevant upgrade. As mentioned a good set of pads and rotors for the fbody setup would be more beneficial
Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Duszak
That makes absolutely no sense at all....
Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Technically the fbody had a shorter stopping distance than a C5 vette.
Links? I found the thread below where, although the original links are now broken since they are 12 years old, the synopsis was pasted in the ticket.

Motor Trend, January 1998, says C5 had a 60-0 stopping distance of 116', compared to the 129' listed in the Road & Track issue for the '01 Camaro SS.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-distance.html

Quick Reply: Upgrading 99 T/A brakes to C5