UMI/Afco coil-over kits - LS1TECH



Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI/Afco coil-over kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
LS1Tech Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
UMI Sales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,460
Default UMI/Afco coil-over kits

For those that are waiting we are currently taking orders.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...Path=7_435_439



UMIís 4th Gen F-body competition coilover package is built to perform. Developed in conjunction with Sam Strano (14x national SCCA auto-x champion), the Afco built monotube dampers provide race winning performance in auto-x and road race while still providing an awesome street ride. The package includes rebound adjustable dampers with a properly tuned fixed compression valve code. The 40-position digressive rebound curve is designed for competition body and weight transfer control. Spring rates are 600 lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear Hypercoils. These rates and damping curves in conjunction with available 35mm/22mm sway bars encourage race winning performance. UMIís aluminum body shocks and coilover brackets are race-proven for three seasons now under punishing conditions. Ride height adjustment range is stock to 2-1/2Ē lowering. Every part of this competition proven package is 100% Made In USA.

Craig
UMI Sales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Those spring rates though
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
TECH Resident
iTrader: (5)
 
WarShrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 799
Default

Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?

WarShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
FIVEPOINT7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?
In for this info. I have to keep the stock A-arm for my class.
FIVEPOINT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
TECH Resident
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7 View Post
In for this info. I have to keep the stock A-arm for my class.
You can definitely make them work. Afco makes a t-bar for the f body lower control arm for bearing mounted shocks. I use it on my car. I will have to get back to you with a part number.
79_T/A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
TECH Resident
iTrader: (5)
 
WarShrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 799
Default

Ok, went digging myself. Maybe one of the UMI guys or Sam can chime in on this.

Looks like there are three options (maybe more?) for what is called the Tie Bar Kit which converts the bearing end to a tie bar setup like OEM fit. I don't have my car in the garage right now so I can't go out and measure to see which one is the exact fitment.

This is in AFCO's 2016 catalog on page 207: PDF Download

As seen here:



For those not sure what's being discussed, this is in regard to making the front coilovers fit lower A-arms accepting OEM style mounts including the UMI Boxed lowers:


As compared to the UMI double shear boxed lowers they had on display at PRI (source, LSXTV):
WarShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 36
Default

For the stock a-arm you will want the first one , AFCO part #20147-3




As seen here:
abern310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (77)
 
UMI Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philipsburg, Pa
Posts: 5,402
Default

The part #'s currently on our site will include a lower T-Bar to mount the front shocks to factory lower a-arms or UMI a-arms. Pictures will be updated to show this over time.
UMI Performance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
The part #'s currently on our site will include a lower T-Bar to mount the front shocks to factory lower a-arms or UMI a-arms. Pictures will be updated to show this over time.
When will you be releasing the new boxed a-arms that don't need the t-bar mount?
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (77)
 
UMI Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philipsburg, Pa
Posts: 5,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
When will you be releasing the new boxed a-arms that don't need the t-bar mount?
I am hoping in the next 30 days, they are building the jigs for them now. The adjustable upper a-arm is holding it up mostly, trying to finalize it the way we like it.
UMI Performance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
I am hoping in the next 30 days, they are building the jigs for them now. The adjustable upper a-arm is holding it up mostly, trying to finalize it the way we like it.
Sweetness, should be just in time for spring bonus season. Is there a recommended upper a-arm for these as well?
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (13)
 
drain89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Right across the river from Huntington, WV
Posts: 678
Default

Ryan, is just the arms getting revised or are there revisions coming for the member as well? If so, can you elaborate?
drain89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7 View Post
In for this info. I have to keep the stock A-arm for my class.
I just installed a set of these (the UMI/AFCO/Strano coil overs) on my 2002 Camaro with stock front control arms. As Ryan said, they bolt on without issues.
trackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbird View Post
I just installed a set of these (the UMI/AFCO/Strano coil overs) on my 2002 Camaro with stock front control arms. As Ryan said, they bolt on without issues.
stock lowers too? I had to put mine on hold to pick up some longer lower mount bolts
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7 View Post
In for this info. I have to keep the stock A-arm for my class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
stock lowers too? I had to put mine on hold to pick up some longer lower mount bolts
Stock uppers and lowers using the stock lower bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
UMI/Afco coil-over kits-img_5980.jpg   UMI/Afco coil-over kits-img_5983.jpg  
trackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #16
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (77)
 
UMI Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philipsburg, Pa
Posts: 5,402
Default

A couple little things we learned with customers receiving these.

Rear sway bars:

If you have a UMI rear solid bar or a factory bar you have room to run the rear shocks upside down so the adjuster is easier to get to. If you have a newer UMI tubular rear sway bar or a Strano rear bar the clearance gets tighter and the shock needs to be installed right side up. Also make sure the head of the bolt is towards the sway bar.

I can't speak for other brand sway bars. Looking at pictures I would say BMR has nice clearance as well.

Factory rear control arms:

The bolt on the rear lower coilover bracket fits. Factory rear lower control arms won't really work, you can grind them I think.

I think that is it for surprises.
UMI Performance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post

Factory rear control arms:

The bolt on the rear lower coilover bracket fits. Factory rear lower control arms won't really work, you can grind them I think.

I think that is it for surprises.
Instead of grinding the arms, I'd probably box a short section of the bottom of the control arm and cut the rolled "lip" off the outside. Just weld on a plate that's large enough to strengthen the arm where you cut the lip off (and a little additional to support the ends of the rolled lip to retain the strength) for bolt head clearance and not enough to stiffen or box the whole arm. Fully boxing the arms will eliminate the natural ability to "twist" that GM built into the arms. I'd have to try it to swear that it will work, but it should only take about a 1-2" plate to support the section where you remove the lip to make sure the arm can't buckle.

If you're not 100% sure of your welding and fabrication abilities, get proper assistance. Or, UMI has some really nice LCAs available and I'd just buy a set to go with the coil over kit...if you don't already have them.
trackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
A couple little things we learned with customers receiving these.

Rear sway bars:

If you have a UMI rear solid bar or a factory bar you have room to run the rear shocks upside down so the adjuster is easier to get to. If you have a newer UMI tubular rear sway bar or a Strano rear bar the clearance gets tighter and the shock needs to be installed right side up. Also make sure the head of the bolt is towards the sway bar.

I can't speak for other brand sway bars. Looking at pictures I would say BMR has nice clearance as well.

Factory rear control arms:

The bolt on the rear lower coilover bracket fits. Factory rear lower control arms won't really work, you can grind them I think.

I think that is it for surprises.
Just to clarify so I don't waste an hour swearing at my car, since I'm going with a strano bar, right side up means the shock body on the bottom and the "top" with the adjuster **** up by the body?

I'm also going to be mounting them to an MWC FAB9 so it will be another data point I guess.
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #19
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Just to clarify so I don't waste an hour swearing at my car, since I'm going with a strano bar, right side up means the shock body on the bottom and the "top" with the adjuster **** up by the body?

I'm also going to be mounting them to an MWC FAB9 so it will be another data point I guess.
You are correct. "Coil spring up". If you're running stock rear control arms (I didn't know if you could change them in that class), you may have space issues with that swaybar (you have to run the bolt with the nut on the control arm side and then the bar will clear....but the stock LCA's are in the way and require the bolt head on the outside instead of the inside for clearance).
trackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbird View Post
You are correct. "Coil spring up". If you're running stock rear control arms (I didn't know if you could change them in that class), you may have space issues with that swaybar (you have to run the bolt with the nut on the control arm side and then the bar will clear....but the stock LCA's are in the way and require the bolt head on the outside instead of the inside for clearance).
Luckily no stock LCAs for me. I sort of came to the conclusion that I just don't care what class this car ends up in.
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UMI Releases New Product: Competition Coilover Kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird UMI Performance Suspension & Brakes 16 09-13-2016 03:29 PM
UMI Releases New Product: Competition Coilover Kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird UMI Performance New Products Showcase 0 08-10-2016 08:35 AM
UMI/Strano coil-over kit is about ready to roll. Read more here. Sam Strano Suspension & Brakes 17 05-17-2016 01:58 PM
UMI Releases New Product: Bolt In Rear Coilover for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body UMI Performance New Products Showcase 0 11-25-2015 08:56 AM
UMI Releases New Product- Bolt-in Rear Coil Over Kit for the 82-02 GM F-Body UMI Performance Suspension & Brakes 47 07-28-2014 06:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send