Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Adjusting parking brake?

So my p/b seems to have a mind of it's own. I have to rip on the handle quite hard to get the brake to engage, and that's at the very top of the arm travel (even had it slip off of the end of the pawl once).

I tried adjusting the shoes at the rear, but that did little to fix the issue. Any other places I should look at to get this fixed? Kinda tired of having to rely on the engine compression alone to hold the car in place on a steep hill.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a lot of tension on the parking brake handle? Or it's only at the top of the lever's throw it's getting tough?

When I narrowed my rear I had no idea where it needed to be adjusted to and didn't get much help here. I got mine back to normal with some trial and error. I'll try to help ya out.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's the interesting part. There's almost no tension on the handle until the top of the travel, but the pb still doesn't engage after the handle stops. I have to then pull on it even more (usually with two hands) to apply enough pressure to hold the car in place.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The parking brakes need to be adjusted every time the rotors are changed. They also need to be adjusted specifically to the bore of each rotor on each side of the car - so this commonly happens to people when the rotors are changed and the adjustment isn't done.

Here is a thread with the procedure: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ke-01-z28.html
Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turns out the issue was that the small pin that sits between the two cylinders in the pb mechanism had slipped off of the end of the pb lever on the pass side, causing a low tension issue. Now the handle moves maybe half the distance it did before.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Adjusting parking brake?