Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS INOP, no communication

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default ABS INOP, no communication

Trying to get my ABS to work after a shell swap. I can't get any communication with the ABS module even though I checked all fuses, relay, wiring, and OBD2 connector, everything is getting power as it should. Tried a new ABS block and same thing. The third brake light works, but I'm not getting the two side lights to come on with the brakes even though all the bulbs look good. Not sure if it matters but it has an aftermarket steering wheel so I removed the cruise control module and cut the airbag wire on the wheel. I do still get the traction light on when the brakes lock up so it seems the wheel speed sensors are working.

Any tips?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

When you start removing SRS (airbag) components, you will lose communication to the OBD port from your BCM. The PCM will still communicate, but you need communication with the BCM to read ABS codes.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know. Do I need to plug in a resistor to keep functionality to everything that is there? I guess I'll double check my connections to all the other SRS items that are still there.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had full communication when there was a resistor in place of the air bag, while the rest of the SRS system was in place. It looses communication once pieces are missing from the chain.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the scanner to get to the point where it said it was reading DTCs, then no communication again. Not really sure what's going on but I'm going to have to clean the hell out of the grounds. I went over things pretty well when I installed it, but I guess one last run through won't hurt.

Going to order a driver air bag resistor as well. I did notice the crash sensor at the nose isn't hooked up either but I didn't see the wire for it. Will have to hunt that down later.

Don't remember what this goes to (left rear hatch) or if it's related.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, no communication